Kathryn's blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathryn303

Reaction score
Even though I don't have my rabbit yet, I thoughtI'd start my blog by telling everyone a bit about myself.

my name: Kathryn

birthday: April 17th (just 2 more days!!)

haircolor: "dirty" blonde hair (between brown and blonde) or light brown hair

eye color: blue

height: 4 feet 11 inches (still really short)

hobbies and interests: drawing, world of warcraft, computers, maplestory, fantasy art, and of course, my pets!

A little about my animals.....

I started out only having 1 dog and 2 cats. When I was 10 Igot a hamster and have had many hamsters ever since then.Hamsters are what made me fall in love with the smalleranimals. Last year, I got a cornsnake. And thenthis year, I am getting a rabbit. I have wanted a rabbit eversince reading the peter rabbit books (having rabbit wallpaper in myroom could have something to do with it also) For easter thisyear, my grandma and grandpa told me that they found a dutch rabbitbreeder and reserved a rabbit for me of my choice. I shouldbe getting the rabbit either later april or early May.

Here are my current pets.....

Lily! The Sheltie puppy.

DSCF1842.jpg

Macho!The fat cat.

DSCF0061-1.jpg

Timothy! The tries-to-be-wild-but-gets-fatter-every-year cat! He's my baby. :D

DSCF0063.jpg

Voldemort! The tiny cornsnake that strikes at me! (sorry if it's blurry)

DSCF1855.jpg

And last, but definately not least....Minnie! My wonderfuland spoiled little dwarf hamster! (isn't she cute?! :inlove:)

DSCF0532-1.jpg

:sickbunny:

Wow, how interesting. The snakestrikes at you? That's funny, is it young? That maybe why. My brother has one python, one passed away.They usually don't strike.

Looking forward to hearing more about you and your pets. When do you get your bunny? I bet your exctited:D!

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Wow, how interesting. The snake strikes atyou? That's funny, is it young? That may bewhy. My brother has one python, one passed away.They usually don't strike.

Looking forward to hearing more about you and your pets. When do you get your bunny? I bet your exctited:D!
Voldemort is still really tiny. I bought him inDecember. When I first bought him, I would hold him all thetime. Then one day, I think I tried to pick him up when hewas a bit hungry and he bit me. It didn't really hurt, justscared the heck out of me. I stoppedholding him after that and now I think that he has gotten used to notbeing handeled. I just need to handel him everyday and heshould eventually stop. I just need to muster up enoughcourage (and maybe wear some really thick gloves!) ;)

I get the bunny in about 2 weeks. My grandparents are gettingit as a gift for me, but I get to pick out the bunny. Theyalready have a dutchbunny of my choice reserved for me from abreeder that they already visited. But, I really want to getone from an animal shelter since it's after Easter. I don'tknow if I can do this though, because this bunny is a gift to me. :?

Your grandparents have wonderful intentions for you. There is nothing wrong getting a rabbit from a good breeder.

Maybe mention that you were thinking a rabbit from a shelter orrescue would me cheaper in the long run. Considering most places theycome fixed already.

I stress there is nothing wrong getting a rabbit from a good breeder.

kathryn303 wrote:
AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Wow, howinteresting. The snake strikes at you? That'sfunny, is it young? That may be why. My brother hasone python, one passed away. They usually don't strike.

Voldemort is still really tiny. I bought him inDecember. When I first bought him, I would hold him all thetime. Then one day, I think I tried to pick him up when hewas a bit hungry and he bit me. It didn't really hurt, justscared the heck out of me. I stoppedholding him after that and now I think that he has gotten used to notbeing handeled. I just need to handel him everyday and heshould eventually stop. I just need to muster up enoughcourage (and maybe wear some really thick gloves!) ;)

I get the bunny in about 2 weeks. My grandparents are gettingit as a gift for me, but I get to pick out the bunny. Theyalready have a dutchbunny of my choice reserved for me from abreeder that they already visited. But, I really want to getone from an animal shelter since it's after Easter. I don'tknow if I can do this though, because this bunny is a gift to me. :?

Here are some pics of the cage and things that I already have set up.

front view

DSCF2006.jpg

top view

DSCF2011.jpg

one side of the inside containing slinky, jingly toy, towel, cardboardhouse, ramp & platform, water bottle, ceramicbowl,and part of the woven mat for her to chew on

DSCF2009.jpg

other side containing corner litterbox, hanging hay thing with bell,another ceramic bowl, and the other half of the woven mat that got cutoff in the picture (sorry if it's a bit dark)

DSCF2010.jpg

Here's all the other things that I bought including another litter box,a basket to chew on, rabbit maze ball, yesterday's news rabbit litter,timothy hay, rabbit pellets, and alfalfa cubes.

DSCF2005.jpg

I still have some other things to buy such as a brush, maybe theharness and lead, and things to 'bunny proof' my room. Pleasetell me how everything looks. :)

I was just browsing on petfinder.com for rabbitsin my area and found these fellows. :bunnyheart Ihave to say that it was love at first sight. Here's thelink.http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7762612They are two lionheads. I really love the looks of lionheadsand they just seem like the sweetest little bunnies.:heartsPlus, they are only about 30 minutes away fromme. I seriously want to take them home before someone elsedoes. I'll have to ask my grandpa tomorrow when he comes overfor my birthday if I can get them instead of a little dutch bunny froma breeder. I have to be honest...from what I've heard aboutthis breeder, I don't know if I want a bunny fromhim. I've never actually met him, though mygrandparents saw the litter of kits that I can chose a dutch from whenthey were 2 days old. Why I don't trust him is because hetold my grandparents that I could take home a baby bunny at 3 weeksold. (which is in 2 weeks) They were born on April5th. My grandparents are expecting to take me to the breederto chose a bunny in 2 weeks, and I'm not sure how to tell them that Idon't want the bunny right then. My grandpa is one of thosepeople where he thinks he knows all and thinks that being too cautiousabout something little (in this case for him, a bunny) isstupid. He'll probably say something like, "oh! itwill be fine! It will be so cute and small at thisage!" Also, I don't know if they've already pre-payed for thedutch bunny already or something..... :dunno:

I want these two lionhead bunnies so badly.... It's killing me....:cry4:

Hi. I just love your sheltie! :)

While there is nothing wrong with getting a bunny from a reputablebreeder, I would be worried about a breeder that would give a kit awayat three weeks. That is just too young. A bunnythat age would not be likely to be healthy later on in life.

I'd be really worried about that breedertoo. Rabbits need to stay with their moms for at least 6weeks, preferably 8. Even if the mom weans them early, mostreputable breeders won't sell a baby until it's 8 weeks old becausewhen it's too young the stress from moving can make it sick.They really are delicate when they're too young.

I think you should bring up your concerns with your grandparents, andthen tell them about the beautiful rabbits up for adoption at theshelter. It would especially be great if you could adopt onethat is already spayed/neutered, which would save you quite a bit ofmoney and stress. If they still want to get you a baby from abreeder, maybe we can help you find one that is more responsible.

Happy birthday to me! :D Igota pink digital camera for my birthday. Now I canstop filling up my mom's camera with pet pictures.;) Plus, it doesn't have a delay, so I can be sure to catchall those cute moments of animals.

I also have a comment re. your water bottle inyour cage. I had that exact same one, until the bracketbroke... but, I mounted mine with the bottle on the outside of thecage, aiming the metal part through the bars. I would beworried that a bunny might try chewing on the bottle.

Just a suggestion. :)

Happy Birthday!:colors:

Yesterday, we went to the petstore, and there Isaw the cutest grey bunny. It was semi-fluffy,completely grey, had cute little ears, was female, and the guy theresaid she was 6 weeks old. I about melted.:inlove: He let me hold her, and she was just sooo sweet andsoft. She kept on looking at me with the cutestcuriousity. I asked my mom if I could get this bunny insteadof the dutch bunny, and she said something like, "No. Thedutch bunny will be younger, cuter, and smaller. You willlike it more. Plus, this bunny isn't very cute and it'salready huge!" ((it wasn't big at all!)) Then I said, "But, I alreadylove this bunny. Why does it matter what type of bunny Iget?" Then she said, "No! The dutch bunny is a giftfrom your grandma. You are getting the dutchbunny!" She got really mad and I couldn't exactly seewhy. They practically had to pry the bunnyout of myarms and drag me out of the petstore. Now I can't stopthinking about the bunny. I can't help but think about it inthe cage that I already have for her and how well we could have gottenalong together and her having the best life with me. I am atour beach house now, so the bunny is about 2 hours away fromme. When we go back home tomorrow, I think thateven if my mom said that I could get that bunny (which I don't thinkthere is a chance of happening) that the bunny would be gone andalready sold. :cry4: :cry4:

Relax, fate will ensure that you get the perfectrabbit. Infact, I have never found the right pet, its always found me.I think it's the same with everyone.

Kathryn, I really do think you should talk toyour grandparents about that rabbit they want to get for you.They mean well, but they don't realize that getting a rabbit that is soyoung could mean that it is very fragile and more likely to become ill.

Your kitties are adorable! :D And your puppy, too, of course.

Have you gotten a chance to talk to your grandparents at all? (Happybelated birthday, btw :D) Maybe if you express your concerns to themdirectly, they’ll try to understand your point of view. Right now, itseems like you’re anxious about finally getting a bunny (I would betoo, don’t worry) so what you need to do is focus on just one of themany rabbits you’ve seen. (Checking petfinder every day can turn into avery bad habit…):foreheadsmack:

I personally think there’s nothing wrong with getting a bunny from abreeder, especially when the litter’s already there and yourgrandparents have practically made all the arrangements. So, what Iwould do, is when you go to see the bunnies, express to yourgrandparents that if when you see him/her, and they don’t look ready togo home, try talking to the breeder, maybe he can hold onto your babyfor a bit longer than three weeks. I know you’ll fall in love withwhichever bunny you do pick out, just make sure he’s ready to leave hismommy before you bring him home:bunnyheart

- Daniela

I was planning on talking to my grandparents onmy birthday about it, but they never came over because they were toobusy. (my grandpa is an accountant and it was taxseason) They are *supposed* to come over to the beach housewith us tonight, but I'm not sure if they are coming tonight, orsometime later this week. I'll for sure talk to them sometimethis week, because this weekend is supposed to be the time that I go toget my dutch bunny. For now though, I'll just try to stayaway from petstores, because it seems like I want every little cute andsweet bunny that I see. :?

-Kat:pink iris:

If you do end up in a pet store (it seems like I*accidentally* end up in them all the time!) just occupy your thoughtswith the bundle of joy you’re going to have soon and buy him or her anice toy or addition for their cage while you’re there :DAlso, while you have the time, start thinking of some names!

I can’t see why your grandparents would disagree with a responsibledecision in the bunny’s best interests (and yours, it is unnecessarystress if the bunny becomes ill in such a fragile state). Your best betis to see if the little bun can hang out with the litter for as long aspossible before bringing him home. (Although, chances are, you’ll wantto take him/her home as soon as you see them… think in their bestinterest!)

- Daniela

kathryn303 wrote:
For now though, I'lljust try to stay away from petstores, because it seems like I wantevery little cute and sweet bunny that I see. :?

-Kat:pink iris:

I've been working hard to earn and save up forthe spaying or nuetering of my rabbit. I decided that itwould be easier to start saving early. Today, I cleaned thehouse and earned $25. So far, I have $40 in all saved to payfor it. I'm not exactly sure how much it will cost, so I amgoing on the safe side by making my goal higher than what it willprobably be. My saving goal is $150. Then after Ireach that goal for getting my rabbit fixed, I'll start saving for anNIC cage. I went to target last night and saw all of thestuff there to make it, so now I know where to geteverything. I'm so excited about this bunny!:bunnydance::colors:

wow. you're a very responsible 13 year old. ilove that you've researched ahead, bought all rabbit necessities andthen some - even before you got the actual rabbit.:D i'm sureyour bunny will be well cared for. just keep it away from the hungrysnake. LOL.

i'm excited to see what bunny you're getting! post pics, ok? i hope youget to change your grandparents' mind about getting a 3 week old bunny.

kathryn303 wrote:
I've been working hardto earn and save up for the spaying or nuetering of myrabbit. I decided that it would be easier to start savingearly. Today, I cleaned the house and earned $25.So far, I have $40 in all saved to pay for it. I'm notexactly sure how much it will cost, so I am going on the safe side bymaking my goal higher than what it will probably be. Mysaving goal is $150. Then after I reach that goal for gettingmy rabbit fixed, I'll start saving for an NIC cage. I went totarget last night and saw all of the stuff there to make it, so now Iknow where to get everything. I'm so excited about thisbunny! :bunnydance::colors:

Back