Kansas City, KS-holland lop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz16

Reaction score
I am debating picking this rabbit up just to find it a good home. It's story was brought to me via a neighbor, whose friend has this rabbit.

It was purchased as an Easter gift 8 or 9 years ago, their not really sure. It lived inside for a couple years and then was moved outside when it started to smell from their daughter not taking care of it...der. So for several years this rabbit has lived outside in a cage/hutch (not sure which, or size) with minimal attention. I am not going to assume the care it has or has not been given during this time.

At this moment, I don't know much more. I have her number and am waiting for her to call me back. But this rabbit will be looking for a home, as I am in no position to keep him in the apartment-it would only be a possibility after we moved.

Can give more info later on if I end up getting him before someone else does.

on my way to pick the rabbit up now-will have pics up when i have him.

its currently 98F here...bringing pedilyte and syringe just in case.

okay...

Male
Broken agouti

nails were super long and curling.
eyes crusty
inside of ears cleanish...don't think he's got mites
no fleas thankfully
he has one overgrown top tooth that has literally curled outward and is about 1.5" long
butt is covered in poo
urine scald on his butt and legs
and sore hocks
and pretty underweight.

i didn't even take the cage, it was a dog kennel, but it was covered in poop that looked like it was packed in and determined to never go away. ):

the saddest part about this...their house was super huge and in an expensive neighborhood. they had newer nice cars. yet this rabbits butt is covered in poo and his health is extremely...bad. For his age, I am honestly surprised he is still alive.

Don't have a lot of $$ but going to call around to a few vets about having him checked over and tooth trimmed.

will post pics later.

will post more about personality when he opens up. so far, i know he is outgoing. he came out of the kennel and ran around, ignoring the cat following him and me, then just plopped down in front of the fan.

It's amazing that an animal can still be so trusting in the face of such neglect. He may not have long, given his age, but to give him happiness in the time he has left is a beautiful gift to give. Pictures!!! :hearts

not many pictures yet. let him just kind of chill on the couch last night after what prob seemed like a scary butt wash.

here's his tooth. the other one is a bit overgrown also, but not nearly as bad. thankfully it doesnt curl inward and it doesn't look like he has issues with his other teeth from what i can tell
1307151456.jpg

1307188270.jpg

1307188357.jpg

hes a pudgy faced big holland for sure :)

will add more pictures when i get some, he deserves a good home after all this.

It may be the hormones...but I got teary eyed multiple times the past few hours I have spent with him this afternoon.
I am on bedrest...and so my taking it easy won't allow me to go for walks. So I picked up a book and went and sat with him for a bit. So some bits about him...he really does deserve a great home.

This UNnuetered male rabbit has spent 10 hours in the hallway without destroying one thing. He is completly content sleeping, although he does like his water dish in a certain spot-dumping a bunch out while moving but thats ok.

He is not jumpy around cats or dogs, and actually didnt even move when the cat jumped over the baby gate or I walked past him or even stepped over him.

After lying down with him it took him only 10-20 minutes, I was reading to not exactly sure, for him to get up and come hop over to me. He made little grunting sounds and then nudged my shoulder. I Pet him on the head a couple times and he just laid down submissively.

He got up, hopped around for a minute, and then came back to me, nudging my cheek, shoulder, and arm until I would pay attention to him. Then he plopped down next to me.

This is a very very sweet boy who craves attention...he is a doll that just melts into a furry bundle when you pet him.

1307203071.jpg

1307203086.jpg

he has an appointment Monday with the vet...40$ to have him checked over and if they trim his teeth more they estimated 80-120$ sigh. dont know how vets think people can afford a tooth clipping every month or two at that price :) payment plans are always nice though.
And I can possibly have him nuetered as well for whoever wants him :)

yep i was shown how i can trim them, it just has to be done by a vet if the person isnt comfortable or if the molars are growing wrong also

It's very easy and can be done with wire cutters and he trances out pretty easily, is not a big fighter with nails or when he has his tooth trimmed down

Also very careful when doing it. If the tooth splinters in can cause abcesses (sP?) in the mouth.

can cause infection in the root also that could be very dangerous to him at his older age.
it would be good to invest in a dremmel tool to shave them down rather than cut

Which can still cause them to chip. It may be a one time thing. Have seen it even with teeth that bad.

I have a vet appointment Wednesday, so I will see what she says about it and if it can be corrected.

He likes chasing too...running circles around you like an annoying dog...hes lucky I can still see around my belly or he mighta tripped me up a couple times.
He also likes chasing the vaccumm

Aww silly bunny.

The picture of his overgrown tooth made me teary eyed. :tears2:

What an absolute cutie! You are so wonderful for taking him in. I hope karma catches up to this previous owners.
You don't need to know about rabbits to know how they were keeping him was deplorable. :X

Wow, this rabbit is lucky you have him now! I bet he's the happiest bunny in Kansas right now.

Quick question, why is it so expensive to get his teeth clipped? That is a pretty horrid tooth, but I had a rat with malocclusion, and it was only $17 every fortnight at my vet; and he usually takes every opportunity to squeeze as much money as he can out of people. Was he gassed or something, or is it trickier for rabbits, or what?

Happi Bun wrote:
The picture of his overgrown tooth made me teary eyed. :tears2:

What an absolute cutie! You are so wonderful for taking him in. I hope karma catches up to this previous owners.
You don't need to know about rabbits to know how they were keeping him was deplorable. :X

Ya, when I picked him up I just wanted to leave, I didnt look him over to well until I got home and I was just kinda speechless...they said it was overgrown a "BIT" but this is more than a bit. I am just thankful it didn't do major damage to him.

And ya, I can't keep him, but hes a great bunny. He stays out of the cage all day last couple days and the worst he does is dig the carpet a bit, but doesn't pull any of it up. Just sleeps allllll day unless you walk by then he has to run circles for a moment before going back to the bathroom and sleepin on the tiles (I assume the circling is partially from hormones)

Anaira wrote:
Wow, this rabbit is lucky you have him now! I bet he's the happiest bunny in Kansas right now.

Quick question, why is it so expensive to get his teeth clipped? That is a pretty horrid tooth, but I had a rat with malocclusion, and it was only $17 every fortnight at my vet; and he usually takes every opportunity to squeeze as much money as he can out of people. Was he gassed or something, or is it trickier for rabbits, or what?

just to be in AC I bet he is thankful...it's been 90F plus here the past week and I can hardly stand being out.

and I didn't ask but I called a couple places and that was the general price. The sucky part is they charge you for a checkup first then charge you another 100$ for the teeth clipping. I am going to call around a few other vets farther away, more gas but prob still save money. I havn't taken him to the vet yet, but from what i understand they use mouth clampy things to open it (from youtube videos i have seen) and at his age i cannot imagine it being safe to put him under anyways. rabbits are an "exotic" so maybe thats why they charg more, dk

We have a pretty good vet here. When we first moved, I was watching the public access channel and there was a Vet talking about rabbits. So we went to check them out--husband and wife and they have five rabbits. Told them about ours and that they are all rescues too and they gave me a big break on trimming and everything. Doesn't hurt to ask around--rescues in your area might be one source for info.

Is he still looking for a home, or did you decide to keep him?

EDIT: I'm just asking because I'm in Oklahoma, but if we could find a way to transport him, we might be interested in taking him in.

Latest posts

Back