Juvie's Crooked Teeth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluMagic

Reaction score
When I first caught Juvie I noticed one of the root teeth was loose. I didn't think much of it and just kept checking on her. I just got back from a volleyball camp. I've been gone for a week. I decided to check her teeth again and her root is growing completely crooked - angled to her right.

Do I leave it alone and keep checking? Or do I need to make a move ASAP?

A vet needs to look at it to determine the extent of the malocclusion (what it's called when bunnies' teeth grow crooked). They may need to be trimmed, which could be a one-time deal or something that needs to be done regularly. If it's really bad, it may need to be removed.

maloclussion is a misalignment of the teeth, rabbit teeth continuously grow. When the teeth grow in crooked it can cause lots of problems with eating and drinking, and possibly grow back into the rabbits gums. I had a rabbit that had to have his teeth trimmed every 4 to 6 weeks for the year and a half that i had him. when the teeth grow in crooked they cant wear them down properly causing you to have to get them trimmed on a regular basis.

I'm going to keep watching. Would it be better to get her root teeth removed completely? I wouldn't prefer to have this kind of rabbit at my place because its hard to care for but she's my brother's rabbit now. His first and I don't want to take that away.

I would get the rabbit to the vet. The vet can determine the extent of the crooked teeth. Her teeth could get worse as they are always growing. If they do get worse then other problems can set in.

i agree i would go to the vet with the rabbit and have a qualified vet look at the teeth to determine what kind of care the rabbit is going to need. You can have the teeth removed, if necessary, there are quite a few rabbits that have them removed and some that have all their teeth removed (Jadeicing's Dallas _soon to be my rabbit ;) ) and they live fine and eat fine. If you don't want a rabbit with this kind of problem, which is going to require (that is if in fact it is malocclusion) regular teeth trimming, so that bigger problems don't arise. If this is something that you don't think that you can do then you could think of re homing the rabbit to someone who can do this and then your brother could get another rabbit that doesn't have this type of problem. If it is in fact true malocclusion you are talking about an appointment for every 4-6 weeks for a trim.

We plan on taking our Boxer for a checkup, our cat and kittens to get spayed and neutered, and I can always take my two buns. That would be good also before I get the new rabbit next weekend. They've already been checked. Valerie hasn't been checked since I got her(I can find out if she's truly spayed) and Juvie was a wild bunny, so she thought. THANKS!

Yeah, it depends on the severity. I definitely wouldn't use him in a breeding program. I know that one of our members has a sanctuary and he says that removing the incisors of several of his malocclusion bunnies was really helpful for them.

Latest posts

Back