Just so angry!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was at the feed store today buying hay for Fraggles when I noticed three bunnies in HORRIBLE conditions. They where in rusty wire cages without any food or water. The one bunny with a food bowl had chicken scratch. All three were so thin that every bone was visible. I put my hand in the mini lop's cage and he did not even budge not even any nose wiggles. It was horrible! So I took the teenage kid running the place and ripped him a new one. He "explained" to me that rabbits are supposed to be BONY and they can't have any hay because it makes a mess. Just horrible!!!! I called the humane society and am going to call again to find out if the rabbits were removed. They better remove them or I am going to raise a fit! Please keep these three bun's in your thoughts.

Oh No! That is horrible! Something needs to be done! They need a nice cage, Good food, hay and water, And somebody to be loved!

I still would have brought them home and put them in an area away from my bunnies, fed and watered them then is a few days when they aren't bony take them in and show the kid.

But then again, I am a rescue member and I seem to get all the bunnies for at least a day. I have a specific area away from my stock for the rescues.

I still would have brought them home and put them in an area away from my bunnies, fed and watered them then is a few days when they aren't bony take them in and show the kid.

But then again, I am a rescue member and I seem to get all the bunnies for at least a day. I have a specific area away from my stock for the rescues.

They need to be educated on rabbits. Rabbits are not to be bony, if they are bony that means they are sick either with a blockage or even worms. Rabbits have to keep their digestive system going, otherwise they go into GI stasis and can die from that. Another thing, hay is not messy. I think that teenager and everyone else that works there didn't want to clean up any mess that rabbits make.

I hope those rabbits are rescued from that pet store and are brought back to good health. I don't think that those bunnies are going to sell because there are a lot of people that are educated on how a healthy rabbit is supposed to look like.

Good job on taking appropriate action. You probably can call someone like the animal control or someone, and let them know what is going on at this pet store.

Even at Farmland, they sell rabbits, they have water and food and they look healthy, they are not bony.

Unfortunately purchasing them would only open the door to increasing their business. They do a brisk business in rabbits, they just bring in more rabbits. We really have to just steel ourselves, report them and keep a close eye on them and the bunnies in their care.

This was handled the best way possible.

sas :expressionless

You did everything right. Hopefully it will work out for the rabbits' favor. Buying them would have only showed the store that people will buy sickly animals from them.

Good job! It's wondeful to see people who care.
Sadly around here this is not uncommon with pet shops, they purposly don't take proper care of their animals so that you feel sorry for them and it gets them sold quicker. A friend of mine quit a job at a pet shop for that reason! Some people, ugh!!

Poor bunnies. Good job and hopefully they get to them in time to get them healthy again and the owners of that place are charged with animal cruelty or neglect or something.

Latest posts

Back