Just a question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HEM

Reaction score
Hello everyone

So the last day and a half, our Dilly has been pooing but there have been some weird poos the last 2 days, about 5 of them. It is hard to describe but it's almost as if anywhere between 2 to 4 poo pellets are connected, almost looks like astring of hair or something is connecting them. Also, there have been 2 larger sized poos with wick attached, almost resembles a bomb that you would see in a cartoon. They weren't that much bigger than her normal ones but still, it got me worried.

We feed her a bit more than a 1/4 of Oxbow pellets and she gets a salad of greens everyday as well. Also, she has unlimited Oxbrow hay in her box.

Has anyone else seen this or any info???

Thanks

Sound like Dilly may have ingested hair. If Dilly is molting, it happens. Bunnies like to groom, and in grooming ingest some hairs. The "bomb" poop could have hair in it.

Water, Unlimited Hay, and Exercise. This will help Dilly pass any hair ingested.

Here's some information from the RO Library that can help regarding digestive problems (Stasis). Something all bunny owners should at least get familiar with. No matter how much we try, sometimes bunnies do go through this. Being quick to act can really help.

http://www.mybunny.org/info/gi_stasis.htm

Hope this helps answer your question.

K:)

Thanks for the info, I'm glad I read it
We are first time bunny parents and I have been freaking out about this.
Dilly is still eating like normal but I guess she hasn't been pooing as much as normal. I will try to give her just hay and greens and lay off the pellets for a day or two.
And, if things don't get better after a day or two would you suggest taking her to her vet?
Thanks again, I'm just really worried and of course my wife is out of town for 2 weeks and I just got panicky.

I certainly would not eliminate pellets entirely. They contain essential nutrients that greens don't provide. You might reduce them if you had been giving too many. Slowly reduce any sugary treats first.

Good plan to go to just hay and greens. I'd really push the hay. Lots of fresh water too. I've been giving fresh water at least 2 times a day to entice Neville and Luna to drink more. They do drink as soon as put the fresh bowl in.

I'd watch Dilly's poo once you cut back on the pellets and see if the poo changes back to normal size and hair is not there. Bunnies digestive tracts moves constantly so you do see results fast.

If Dilly starts getting lethargic, hunched, that means he's really in pain. IMHO, I would then seek a Rabbit Savvy Vet. As I'm also a first time bunny owner, I'd feel more comfortable going. Even if it's just gas pains, I can still pick my Vet's brain and learn as much as possible.

Just observe the poo. Hoping all gets back to normal for Dilly quickly.

K:)

Thanks for the info and advice everyone
I will stop with any treats such as banana and strawberry pieces and cut back on the pellets.
Thanks again

Latest posts

Back