Is this rabbit a dwarf? (Pictures)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetTheDwarf

Reaction score
Hello. I have been thinking about adopting this rabbit, but I am not sure if it is a dwarf. The website doesn't have a visible contact option (stupid, I know). So any help?

It looks like some kind of lion head mix.

Which is not in itself a dwarf breed like a Netherland Dwarf. But it is still a smaller breed of rabbit.
Dwarf doesn't really mean anything anyway. Just a name.

I've removed the photos from your original post as they were stretching the page and not even loading properly for me.

this rabbit looks to weigh 4-6 lbs. Based on body size next to bowl. Ears look too large to be a 3 lbs rabbit.

I agree that he looks like a lion head netherland dwarf. The shape of his eyes remind me so much of my nethies. He looks like he would be around 3 1/2 lbs to me because he looks around the same size as one of mine next to the light switch.

Dwarf doesn't really mean anything anyway. Just a name..
Hm, I thought there was a dwarf gene (which can result in peanuts sometimes), and that is the difference between dwarf and normal rabbits? Or is every small rabbit simply called "dwarf"?

Hm, I thought there was a dwarf gene (which can result in peanuts sometimes), and that is the difference between dwarf and normal rabbits? Or is every small rabbit simply called "dwarf"?

Yes there is a dwarf gene. Some rabbits within a breed (Like Holland lops) can be born with it and be small, with double and be a peanut, or get squat and be bigger, yet their still called the same breed.

There are also numerous "small" breeds that do not have a "dwarf" gene. Yet are still a similar size to those "dwarfs".
Lionheads are usually small 3lb compact rabbits.

People tend to overuse the word dwarf to either upsell rabbits that will be larger (Typically seen in petstores) or to label their small rabbit.

The word "dwarf" next to a rabbit can be confusing. If you breed two netherland dwarfs that carry the dwarf gene- the litter could have babies with one dwarf gene, or no dwarf genes, or two dwarf genes (peanuts). The babies born in the litter that do not inherit the dwarf genes grow a little bit larger and have longer head shapes—they are usually called BUBs and BUDs (Big Ugly Does and Bucks, so mean. The babies who inherit the dwarf gene have the flatter faces and cute round head shape. .... So the rabbit in the photo posted here, looks like it probably doesn't have the dwarf gene because its face isn't flat- but it might still be called a dwarf because its from a dwarf breed. The good think about getting the Bubs and Buds as pet is they have less of a chance of having malocclusions because their faces aren't flat.

Hello. I have been thinking about adopting this rabbit, but I am not sure if it is a dwarf. The website doesn't have a visible contact option (stupid, I know). So any help?

Looks like a very nice rabbit. I'd say adopt it. I don't know if it's a dwarf, but anyhow it's not that big.

Latest posts

Back