Is this cage ok ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fantaysah wrote:
See this is where i find the issue.. why do we have to be made to look bad or that we don't care about our buns if we are "bare minimum" owners? The person who decided that cage size has not been anywhere near my bun or my situation. Many times in this debate people have kinda stated to the effect that if we don't follow that we are bad pet owners and our rabbits are unhappy. Where's the research saying my rabbit isn't happy?

:yeahthat::yeahthat:

maisy&layla wrote:
This is the cage that I have for my rabbit. Does it have everything she needs ? and is there enough space etc ?

She has;
a house with straw for sleep/naps.
Watter bottle
daisy chain(wood) to chew and play
Carrot(wood) to chew/play
Purple tennis ball
food bowl
Litter box

Hey, hey. OP. I bet you neverrrrrr expected this huh? lol. I truly wish you good luck and honestly take in as much information as you want to from this thread. Just don't get confused on which side to choose. Each rabbit is different. Each owner is different. Good luck with everything.

Blue eyes wrote:
fantaysah wrote:
See this is where i find the issue.. why do we have to be made to look bad or that we don't care about our buns if we are "bare minimum" owners? The person who decided that cage size has not been anywhere near my bun or my situation. Many times in this debate people have kinda stated to the effect that if we don't follow that we are bad pet owners and our rabbits are unhappy. Where's the research saying my rabbit isn't happy?

wow. That's quite a bit of accusation and defensiveness. Who is making anyone look bad?

Wendymac posted ARBA cage recommendation sizes. I followed up with the alternate opinion of House Rabbit Society recommendations. I made no condemning remarks. I was simply providing an alternate opinion from another source.

In response, I was defensively asked to cite scientific back-up for cage sizes as if the lack of such would completely unravel HRS' recommendations. I responded with the statement that both the ARBA and HRS have differing opinions. And that they are both just that - opinions.

Then I stated, "The purpose of forums like this is for people to share ideas to improve the lives of their bunnies and to improve their lives with bunnies. I don't think any of us want to settle for "bare minimum" care for our furries. We want what's best. It's a good thing to want to improve our bunnies' condition. So if we can encourage each other to do just that, that is great."

I don't see the need for such defensiveness. Nothing here can be construed to be judgemental. An alternate opinion was simply provided. If someone feels guilty over these alternate opinions, that doesn't mean that the one providing the alternate opinion intended to make anyone "look bad."
Actually, the worst of the posts, earlier in this thread, were deleted by the mod...

Nelsons_Mom wrote:
fantaysah wrote:
Please make a video i have hundreds of cotton tails on my land and have NEVER seen them interact. They see each other and run!

I'll try to get some this evening. They mostly do it around dusk, so we'll see how good I can get it with the lighting.

I didn't know that it was so unusual to see them playing! I've always lived around a lot of woods, so I guess I'm lucky.

There's this one who likes to sit right in front of where my car is parked and groom himself. One day he kept trying to groom his foot by lifting it up by his head and kept falling over! I almost died laughing.
i grew up in nedneck ga!! have seen a thousand wild rabbits and never saw them playing.

majorv wrote:
Blue eyes wrote:
fantaysah wrote:

wow. That's quite a bit of accusation and defensiveness. Who is making anyone look bad?

Wendymac posted ARBA cage recommendation sizes. I followed up with the alternate opinion of House Rabbit Society recommendations. I made no condemning remarks. I was simply providing an alternate opinion from another source.

In response, I was defensively asked to cite scientific back-up for cage sizes as if the lack of such would completely unravel HRS' recommendations. I responded with the statement that both the ARBA and HRS have differing opinions. And that they are both just that - opinions.

Then I stated, "The purpose of forums like this is for people to share ideas to improve the lives of their bunnies and to improve their lives with bunnies. I don't think any of us want to settle for "bare minimum" care for our furries. We want what's best. It's a good thing to want to improve our bunnies' condition. So if we can encourage each other to do just that, that is great."

I don't see the need for such defensiveness. Nothing here can be construed to be judgemental. An alternate opinion was simply provided. If someone feels guilty over these alternate opinions, that doesn't mean that the one providing the alternate opinion intended to make anyone "look bad."
Actually, the worst of the posts, earlier in this thread, were deleted by the mod...
yep... the juicy parts gone now.

majorv wrote:
Blue eyes wrote:
fantaysah wrote:

Ahh, I had already disregarded the bulk of the conversation that occurred on the 8th. There was a seemingly new thought beginning on the 11th with the post about ARBA's chart. I thought all that defensive talk was referring to the newer conversation starting on the 11th with the chart. The new conversation didn't seem to be viral. But apparently it ruffled some old feathers. I guess fantaysah was still referring to the conversation from the 8th.

I agree that everyone knows their bunnies best. One situation I was recently involved with made me really sad. I volunteer at the local SPCA and they had a rabbit that they used for educational programs in schools, but they had not done a program in a number of years. She was an 8 year old mini lop who was unspayed. It took me almost two months to even find out her name, BB (black bunny). Her entire life was spent in a pet store cage, roomy by their standards, but still about 3ft by 2ft. She had a poor diet (way too many pellets and carrots, not enough hay or greens), no exercise, no toys. She was very over weight, long toe nails, and depressed.

I was able to advocate for her so her diet improved and I would get her out of the cage to play a bit. I gave her toys, but by the next day when I came in they were gone again. Unfortunately when I finally convinced them to spay her she ended up passing away. She had uterine cancer that had spread all over her body, including the lungs.

My point is that if the SPCA cares for their rabbits in this way, as an animal welfare organization, then what hope does the general public have? It makes me sad for rabbits that people, in general, are so ignorant of how intelligent and interactive these wonderful animals are. It comes down to quality of life.

To me, the whole point of this forum is to help people learn about rabbits and share their knowledge so everyone ends up with much happier buns. :)

Back