Is this cage ok ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just thought I'd throw this into the discussion... Now that my husband works from home, cookies cage is open most of the day, but he doesn't budge from his sleeping spot at all, until my husband is done working in the evening and comes down for dinner... He isn't even fazed by the door to his house being open, he has no desire to come out all day! And then he runs around for an hour maybe two... And then runs upstairs and goes back to bed! If a bun is happy and healthy! Leave the housing and care up to the owners! The ones that are with him/her all day everyday! Everybody is different :D

Maisy and layla...i started out with this kind of cage for my Olivia. She did fine with it and then I decided to switch her to a hutch so she would have more room. She seems to enjoy it more. I think for the time being this is fine for her. Dont stress yourself just yet about a new cage. As long as she is getting a lot of time out of her cage, i think it is fine :)

THANK YOU!! someone with a huge cage can still neglect their animals. They have the possible idea that they do not need time out etc. because the cage is big enough. You cant base our pet ownership skills on how much room we have and whether or not we agree with someones so called standards. My rabbits are different than yours personality wise and I have gotten lots of great info here but I also have been made to feel inadequate at times because someone says their way is the only way!

I agree to disagree and accept that we all have opinions but you cant shove it at someone and say this is FACT when there is no real evidence of anything

I read somewhere that smaller breed rabbits tend to be more active than larger breeds. Does anyone know if this is true? (Think the youtube video "The real energizer bunny"). I do know that my rabbit is larger breed and he tends to sleep most of the afternoon and get more active early morning/late at night. That's especially one of the reasons I provide him with an xpen all of the time, because I don't get up really early, which is when I hear him running around like a maniac :p

I do worry about how society views rabbits, still, though. I know when I was little, we had a rabbit kept in a small hutch and we NEVER took him out at all, provided him with toys, etc...I didn't know there was anything wrong with that. I thought that's just what you did with rabbits. And I work at a daycare where not long ago they had a small dwarf rabbit who they'd had for about 11 years--he'd lived his WHOLE LIFE in a foot in a half by foot in a half wire bottom cage with nowhere to rest and never came out except when the kids got to carry him around like a toy. There was a lady who would feed him crackers and tons of other unhealthy things all of the time. When I got there I talked them into getting him a bigger cage and educated them on food for him, though he didn't live much longer. I was shocked that people could keep a rabbit like that, no research done on food or anything, and think it was okay. Because rabbits are often considered pets like hamsters and "easy" "kid-friendly" animals, when they're really not.

So I don't think it's wrong for sites to promote bigger housing and higher standards for rabbits care. If people see those dimensions and think "That's a great idea! I should try to provide that for my rabbits!" then that's wonderful! I think it's better for sites to promote larger housing rather than say to just put a rabbit in whatever they want and not worry about it at all. I know that if it weren't for sites like those, I never would have thought of giving my own rabbit more space, which I think he's very happy with. Should anyone make people feel horrible for providing smaller than what they recommend? No. I was part of a forum before this that would basically attack anyone who dared suggest smaller cages for any amount of time. That accomplishes nothing This forum is very friendly and helpful compared to that one. But I for one will continue to suggest bigger housing to anyone who asks about cages, in the nicest way possible, simply because I believe it's a great idea and an important one. I would never push it on anyone who says they can't provide that, but at least I've given them an idea. If not larger housing, then I will simply say to provide as much exercise as possible, especially because rabbits area active at different times and not all at once.

fantaysah wrote:
See this is where i find the issue.. why do we have to be made to look bad or that we don't care about our buns if we are "bare minimum" owners? The person who decided that cage size has not been anywhere near my bun or my situation. Many times in this debate people have kinda stated to the effect that if we don't follow that we are bad pet owners and our rabbits are unhappy. Where's the research saying my rabbit isn't happy?

wow. That's quite a bit of accusation and defensiveness. Who is making anyone look bad?

Wendymac posted ARBA cage recommendation sizes. I followed up with the alternate opinion of House Rabbit Society recommendations. I made no condemning remarks. I was simply providing an alternate opinion from another source.

In response, I was defensively asked to cite scientific back-up for cage sizes as if the lack of such would completely unravel HRS' recommendations. I responded with the statement that both the ARBA and HRS have differing opinions. And that they are both just that - opinions.

Then I stated, "The purpose of forums like this is for people to share ideas to improve the lives of their bunnies and to improve their lives with bunnies. I don't think any of us want to settle for "bare minimum" care for our furries. We want what's best. It's a good thing to want to improve our bunnies' condition. So if we can encourage each other to do just that, that is great."

I don't see the need for such defensiveness. Nothing here can be construed to be judgemental. An alternate opinion was simply provided. If someone feels guilty over these alternate opinions, that doesn't mean that the one providing the alternate opinion intended to make anyone "look bad."

fantaysah wrote:
Please make a video i have hundreds of cotton tails on my land and have NEVER seen them interact. They see each other and run!

I'll try to get some this evening. They mostly do it around dusk, so we'll see how good I can get it with the lighting.

I didn't know that it was so unusual to see them playing! I've always lived around a lot of woods, so I guess I'm lucky.

There's this one who likes to sit right in front of where my car is parked and groom himself. One day he kept trying to groom his foot by lifting it up by his head and kept falling over! I almost died laughing.

Actually, ARBA didn't just make up cage sizes, they stated minimum cage requirements. The HRS just randomly stated that they "had" to have certain requirements, as deemed by the group that founded the organization.

It was also stated (and I'm not sure by whom) that if you didn't follow HRS's suggestions, then you shouldn't have a pet rabbit. Or something along those lines. So yes, providing opinions is fine. Encouraging is fine. Saying "go big or don't bring one into your home" isn't.

I have pet rabbits, and I also have a hobby rabbitry. I have inside rabbits and outside rabbits. I've found a balance between the two. For someone to say that breeders should have cages the size of a horse stall is a bit unrealistic. The same for people in apartments. They can provide a smaller cage than HRS recommends, with plenty of time out of the cage, and still have happy, healthy buns.

I posted the cage sizes from ARBA to show that it's not going to kill your rabbit to live in a cage smaller than HRS's recommendations.

wendymac wrote:
Actually, ARBA didn't just make up cage sizes, they stated minimum cage requirements. The HRS just randomly stated that they "had" to have certain requirements, as deemed by the group that founded the organization.

I posted the cage sizes from ARBA to show that it's not going to kill your rabbit to live in a cage smaller than HRS's recommendations.

Your posting of ARBA's recommendations left the impression that those are "ideal" sizes. I posted HRS' to show alternate recommendations. People can then decide for themselves which they'd rather follow. Or if they care either way.

But I'd have to disagree on one technicality: ARBA got their cage sizes from Animal Welfare Act, but the Animal Welfare Act just made them up -- no different.

Not directord at you blue eyes or anyone in particular... directed mostly at the tone of some of the posts. You r right in what you said it is opinion. Its a we hope you can provide a big cage but some people think that the standards are law and they are not otherwise it would be illegal to sell most pet cages esp. The ones who clearly have images of rabbits on the box. I agree that a rabbit should NOT spend 24/7 in a small cage but given opportunity out a small HOME is fine. And about looking bad it was meant as some people feel if you want afford huge or have the space for huge hen you shouldn't have a pet. With ample time out the cage size shouldn't be such an issue. Even he aspca and rescues have to deal with smaller cages but allow time out and its not an issue

wendymac wrote:

It was also stated (and I'm not sure by whom) that if you didn't follow HRS's suggestions, then you shouldn't have a pet rabbit. Or something along those lines. So yes, providing opinions is fine. Encouraging is fine. Saying "go big or don't bring one into your home" isn't.

I have pet rabbits, and I also have a hobby rabbitry. I have inside rabbits and outside rabbits. I've found a balance between the two. For someone to say that breeders should have cages the size of a horse stall is a bit unrealistic. The same for people in apartments. They can provide a smaller cage than HRS recommends, with plenty of time out of the cage, and still have happy, healthy buns.

I think it might have been my comment you were referring to. I think that I must have not been clear enough in my response.

While it would be unrealistic for every owner to follow the HRS's guidelines (I know I don't follow everything), I think they're good guidelines. For instance, they suggest that your rabbit has 5 hrs of playtime a day (which I know is something that you pointed out as unrealistic) Mine don't. I'm busy and I simply can't afford 5 hours of supervised time. That's why I tried to compensate by having a bigger cage.

What I have a problem with is people knowing that they cannot WORK WITHIN those guidelines and getting a rabbit anyway. (Such as they won't be able to let the rabbit out much AND have a small cage.)

The reason I quoted those guidelines was for members who might not have seen them before to think "Wow! This site reccommends a lot of room. I might now be able to afford/have the space for a bigger cage right now, but maybe I can add more out time or look into getting something bigger in the future. I want to make sure my little furry is as happy as I can personally ensure." Or, for people who were doing research prior to getting a rabbit to think "Wow! It is recommended that they have more room than I anticipated. I'll have to make sure that I account for that when I am looking to get supplies."

And, I completely understand (as I have said before) the difference between the standards of breeders and the standards for pets. I read your blog, Wendy, and for having such a large number of outdoor rabbits, I think you do a very good job. You make sure everyone is clean, protected from the elements, and have their playtime. I didn't mean to offend you if I did with the stuff that I quoted.

As an outsider reading through this entire thread, it might be interesting to know that I think you all are saying the same thing! Lol

Everyone here agrees each bun is different
Everyone here agrees that back in the day buns were seen as "cage animals" who were given no free run so that's where all these minimum cage requirements and such came from
Everyone here loves their bun
And lastly.....
Everyone here just wants to be made to feel that they are doing right by their rabbit(s) whom they love dearly.

I think the majority of the people on here have healthy, happy buns and we are far more educated than thinking rabbits just need to sit in a a cage e all day. We all know that.

Good discussion though. Lots of great information posted! :)

fantaysah wrote:
Not directord at you blue eyes or anyone in particular... directed mostly at the tone of some of the posts. You r right in what you said it is opinion. Its a we hope you can provide a big cage but some people think that the standards are law and they are not otherwise it would be illegal to sell most pet cages esp. The ones who clearly have images of rabbits on the box. I agree that a rabbit should NOT spend 24/7 in a small cage but given opportunity out a small HOME is fine. And about looking bad it was meant as some people feel if you want afford huge or have the space for huge hen you shouldn't have a pet. With ample time out the cage size shouldn't be such an issue. Even he aspca and rescues have to deal with smaller cages but allow time out and its not an issue

While I don't think it should be illegal, I (personally) do have an issue with pet store cages. Some are adequate while a rabbit is young, or the largest size with out time, as you pointed out. (Though I personally think they are too small, there are circumstances in which it would be okay).

The main issue I have with it is this:

While there are some "Super Pet" style cages that could work for a small breed with a lot of out time, MOST (because I have not been to all of the nations pet stores) or these sized cages are not the ones traditionally stocked in the store because they are so big they can't really be put on display, and, because of their size, they are more expensive and don't sell well. So, a lot of what they stock is on the small side for an adult rabbit.

This ties in with my distaste for the selling of live animals in pet stores, I don't like the fact that they sell cages because it is "one stop shopping." If someone were to buy a rabbit on impulse, they might have not done the proper research and might have made the choice for a smaller cage that the bunny would quickly outgrow.

And most of it is not because of rabbits specifically. Guinea pig and Rat cages are also TOO SMALL for what they are marketed for.

Also, most pet store cages are not designed to keep for the entire 10+ yrs of the rabbit lifespan. I had a well taken care of Super Pet Exotics for my rats (couldn't have been happier since I switched to Martin's). It was only three and the coating on the wire was peeling off and the plastic bottom was warped from washing.

I have a lot to comment on (as usual) but need to go work on the new rabbitry area so time is short. LOL Anyway, even worse than the pet stores selling small cages along with pets, this is even worse! Pet stores running, "buy a cage, get the bunny free" ads! That seems to be the new trend, and I don't care for it at all. Anyway, off to work in the barn...will be back in a few. :)

Pet store definitely have issues they are about the money not the pet. Our local petco ( i needed a new leash) had a terarium full of rats that were missing body parts and had large open wounds. One was missing most of its face and they didn't seem to care.

wendymac wrote:
I have a lot to comment on (as usual) but need to go work on the new rabbitry area so time is short. LOL Anyway, even worse than the pet stores selling small cages along with pets, this is even worse! Pet stores running, "buy a cage, get the bunny free" ads! That seems to be the new trend, and I don't care for it at all. Anyway, off to work in the barn...will be back in a few. :)

I have never heard of this! I'm instantly full of rage. Good thing the buns are out running now. Their cuteness is always a comfort c: Lil is presently zooooooooooming around.

Oh, yeah... and one is a local pet store, who should know better but is choosing making a buck over the health and welfare of the bunnies. There's always a pet store advertising on pennswoods, too, the very same thing. Probably where the idiot got the idea to begin with. *ends rant*

Hubby has me pissed, so I better stop typing now. lol

Just adding my two cents worth...people tell me Reuben is the laziest rabbit ever, and doesn't need to free-range my bedroom, he just spends all day snoozing. Not true. I'm a night owl, and often spend most of the night awake, falling asleep at about 4, and sleeping right through dawn; but the few times I have been awake, Reuben has really woken up then. It's so cool just lying there, seeing him get up to his little bunny games in the partial dark! When Willoughby was alive, I was frequently woken by him(and when they were friends, Rubey too) going mad in the early morning. He also snoozed most of the day.

Also, when Reuben thinks no one is around, he sneaks out of my room, and explores the house. Because no one sees him, they assume he never exercises. When I put him outside to free range the garden, he doesn't start playing right away, he often spends a good amount of time not doing much. But suddenly he'll decide it's play time and binky all the way across the garden. Because no one sees this, they tell me he'd be just as happy in his (rough estimate here!) 6' by 2' hutch-and-run. Not true, because he couldn't get the same momentum in there that he can inside, or in the garden.

So anyway, my point is, it's not enough to say a small cage is fine because bunny never does much anyway, and s/he gets lots of out time; because rabbits don't play on our terms, or when we have time to let them out. They play when they want, and if you let them out during the day, chances are they aren't going to play. But when they do feel like it, they can't(in my opinion, an adult rabbit wouldn't be able to play properly in the OP's cage. The baby looks ok in it though, for the time being)

Oh, and so people don't get me wrong; there's nothing wrong with Reuben's outside wire run size. 6 by 2, or whatever it is looks fine for a rabbit, to me. If someone has a rabbit in an indoor cage that size, that's great; I just think the more room, the better. I can give him more, so he gets it. This turned into something of a ramble, I'm sorry if it makes no sense.

silversky2668 wrote:
I read somewhere that smaller breed rabbits tend to be more active than larger breeds.  Does anyone know if this is true?  (Think the youtube video "The real energizer bunny").  I do know that my rabbit is larger breed and he tends to sleep most of the afternoon and get more active early morning/late at night.  That's especially one of the reasons I provide him with an xpen all of the time, because I don't get up really early, which is when I hear him running around like a maniac :p 

I just wanted to answer this one that got skipped over. I have not found this to be true with purebred rabbits at least. With the different mixes of rabbits it might be true but mine and my moms rabbits are total opposites. Her Polish are always so lazy (2.5lbs rabbits) and my Tans along with other running breeds are hyper and active rabbits (5-6lb rabbits). I have noticed that the calmer rabbits are more compact breeds such as mini rex, polish, commercial typed breeds, etc. Running or arch typed rabbits are more on the active side and only one of those is a small typed rabbit (Brits). Although small breeds hollands and dwarfs are also known to have a crazy side to them. If you mean larger rabbits to be 10+ lbs then yes most of those are pretty lazy but there are exceptions (such as the checkered giant). Just what I have noticed :)

Our first bunny was a rescue bunny. She was living in a rubbermaid container with a wire mesh fastened across the top. She was an Easter present for a kid who got tired of her quickly. We got her in September so you figure she was about 8 months old by then. She could NOT lay down in her 'cage' and stretch out. She couldn't see out, only up (and then she saw everything distorted through the mesh). Her water bottle was fastened to the inside part of the handle of the tub (we're not talking one of the big tubs that you'd put a Christmas tree in or something, we're talking something maybe 10"x18". They threw pine shavings in the bottom and that is where she slept, ate and used the potty. They threw her food right down in the pine shavings with her. They did give her greens but she had never been given hay. A month or so before we adopted her we cared for her while they went on vacation. I was shocked in how she was living. I assumed the little storage tote was just a makeshift cage to bring her to our house in. I was informed that no, she lived there all the time. They said she loved it. It made me cry.

Right now we have our girls in a NIC cage in our play room. They have the nicest room in the house, truth be told, the only one we've finished remodeling completely. They have AC that blows right past their cage in the summer and heat in the winter. They get plenty of free roaming time every day and when they spend a good 40 minutes or so jumping and running and exploring and then they pick a place and lay down. When they are in their cage they don't have a lot of room to roam around (thus the reason we are remodeling the cage when the new box of NIC panels comes TOMORROW).

Our boy isn't in a cage. He is cordoned off in a hallway with a baby gate. The area he has is about 3 foot wide. Depending on where we move the gate to he has 3 to 6 feet in length. He moves around his area but he doesn't play. He doesn't run or anything. Mostly he lays in the back by the back door (that isn't used right now since he is in the hallway) or up by the front of the gate. I'm an extreme night owl and my husband is up really early and we never see him playing in his area. He also gets plenty of time out of his enclosure. He runs, binkies, jumps on the couch, goes down the steps in to the play room and visits the girls through their cages, etc. He will only do this for about 20 minutes though before he goes back to his area and takes a nap. In fact, most of the day his gate is open and he just lays in his area without being confined. He likes it, I guess. I like that he has a good amount of space but I'd like it a lot better if I could use that back door. LOL

Anyway, like someone said, they are all different, quite obviously. In the case of our first rabbit, I really feel like it was neglect. I mean, she had NO air holes on the sides of this tub and she couldn't stretch out at all. She had to lay with her feet under her. :( I don't see anyone on here doing their animals such a disservice, fortunately.

Pet stores - Ugh... that is a whole other rant!! I can't believe some of the crap that happens at pet stores. My mom thoroughly ticks me off because she is always bringing home pets from a pet store. I know very little about guinea pigs but they sold her a guinea that they said was 3 weeks old. Isn't that far too young to be weaned? They sold her a 4 week old rabbit. They told her it was a mini and wouldn't get big at all. It is bigger than my rabbits who are a large breed (larger than my 10 pound West Highland dog). They also told her to give the BABY rabbit as much lettuce and cucumbers and such as it would eat. I was so mad to hear all of this. :( Our local farm store sells rabbits too and my friend bought one there. She actually worked there at the time and whoever brought the rabbits in told them that they were dwarfs. When the rabbit outgrew its cage they had to get rid of it because they didn't have room. Their kids cried for weeks. It all could have been avoided if people selling the animals had been truthful and people buying them did more research. Ugh.

Back