Is this a Flemish Giant?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TinysMom wrote:
Yield wrote:
rabbitgeek wrote:
Okay, I vote for Flemish too.

So how much does she weigh?

Have a good day!

[align=center]
Sweet :biggrin:

Um, I'm not really sure to be honest! I'm thinking maybe 4-5 lb? She feels similar in weight to my dutch and mix right now. At only 3-4 months :shock:
[/align][align=left]I'm probably going against what everyone else is saying - but as a flemish breeder - to me she is more of a mix - or she's younger than even 3 months.  By three months - most of mine are AT LEAST 5 or even closer to 6 pounds I think.[/align][align=left]
[/align][align=left]I have some flemish mix bunnies that were closer to that weight at that age.[/align][align=left]
[/align][align=left]Then again - everybody's lines can mature differently - but she just seems "smaller" to me than a flemish would at that age.[/align][align=center]
[/align]

[align=center]I am not completely sure on her weight... she could be 7 pounds and I wouldn't know lol. I am not good at estimating especially when I can't pick her up as I'm estimating or pick her up and then my other buns to compare.. I'll take more pics when we bring her home and I'll try to compare to my other buns. Or ask GLRS how much she weighs. I don't care what she is =) I love her all the same. I guess we'll see =) Thank you for the input!

[align=center]Here are some more pics of her... She's sooo big. She's gotta be heavier than 6 lb because she's heavier and bigger than Solara.

2011-03-09193751.jpg

2011-03-09193730.jpg

2011-03-09192750.jpg

2011-03-09192725.jpg

2011-03-09192701.jpg

2011-03-09192606.jpg

2011-03-09192458.jpg

2011-03-09193810.jpg

Her feet and ears are sooo oversized XD Especially those feet. Oh my goodness! XD

TinysMom wrote[align=left]
I'm probably going against what everyone else is saying - but as a flemish breeder - to me she is more of a mix - or she's younger than even 3 months. By three months - most of mine are AT LEAST 5 or even closer to 6 pounds I think.
[/align][align=left]
I have some flemish mix bunnies that were closer to that weight at that age.
[/align][align=left]
Then again - everybody's lines can mature differently - but she just seems "smaller" to me than a flemish would at that age
[/align]
I agree here. I think she's possibly a mix. She is large, and does have the oversized body parts, but for a 3 month old flemmie she's still a bit small.

AndersonsRabbits wrote:
TinysMom wrote[align=left]
I'm probably going against what everyone else is saying - but as a flemish breeder - to me she is more of a mix - or she's younger than even 3 months.  By three months - most of mine are AT LEAST 5 or even closer to 6 pounds I think.
[/align][align=left]
I have some flemish mix bunnies that were closer to that weight at that age.
[/align][align=left]
Then again - everybody's lines can mature differently - but she just seems "smaller" to me than a flemish would at that age
[/align]
I agree here. I think she's possibly a mix. She is large, and does have the oversized body parts, but for a 3 month old flemmie she's still a bit small.

[align=center]She may be a mix.. I don't mind at all lol.... :)

But I DEFINITELY under-estimated her weight. (I went and saw her yesterday).

She feels closer to the size that Soleil was- an almost full-grown New Zealand (7-8 lb) than Solara (a 6 lb mix) or Sabriel (a 4.5 lb dutch)... I mean look at me holding Soleil, compared to the picture of me holding Nala.
2wm.jpg
2011-03-09192458-1.jpg

AndersonsRabbits wrote:
thats not a full blooded new zeland. Yeah it is big but NZ are like a 12 pound bree.d

[align=center]I said "ALMOST" full grown. =/ She was around 6 months there. I just went and saw her yesterday as well and she's gotten much bigger...

Jynxie wrote:
I really love the name, and I love the fawn colouring.

[align=center]Thank you =) I'm sure Nala is grateful as well ;)

woahlookitsme wrote:
Like i said she could be a palomino if she doesnt get as big as a flemish

[align=center]Yeah =)

Nancy McClelland wrote:
She's the same color as our Commander Bun-Bun. She was a mix and was almost 5 pounds, but, she had a thirty pound attitude.

[align=center]Aww =)
I really like the fawn color =D

[align=center]More pics of Nala to look at.. =)

184840_10150103316916516_546981515_6457582_5316502_n.jpg

198112_10150103097866516_546981515_6455392_5437684_n-1.jpg

200194_10150103317166516_546981515_6457586_3887875_n.jpg

_DSC0018.jpg

_DSC0016.jpg

_DSC0015.jpg

_DSC0014.jpg

_DSC0013.jpg

_DSC0010.jpg

_DSC0009.jpg

[align=center]I contacted a Palomino breeder (with a site and everything) and she said that Nala does not look like a Palomino, and that she is most likely a Flemish and that the size looks right for three months.. :ponder:

The more I see of her - the more I think she's a flemmie.

She reminds me of my Tiny....he was a full flemish giant - but he always stayed fairly small for his breed (compared to others on the forum).

Personally, I like the smaller flemish giants - you get the flemish personality but less strain on their heart from being so huge.....so I feel like they have a chance of living longer.

TinysMom wrote:
The more I see of her - the more I think she's a flemmie.

She reminds me of my Tiny....he was a full flemish giant - but he always stayed fairly small for his breed (compared to others on the forum).

Personally, I like the smaller flemish giants - you get the flemish personality but less strain on their heart from being so huge.....so I feel like they have a chance of living longer.

[align=center]=)
Aww =O :hearts:
Silas is pretty small for a Flemish as well (I think?)
He's 12 pounds.

Nala's sister was bigger than her, so I'm figuring that she's just a small Flemish too. Yeah, I agree with you there!

I was just going back through things - I forgot that Tiny actually made it to 18 pounds....he'd lost weight before he passed away.

Flemish will be "growing" for over a year....sometimes 18 months or so.

I'm finally starting to see my herd buck and main herd doe at the weight I thought they'd be at - and he's almost 2 and she's 18 months or so.

TinysMom wrote:
I was just going back through things - I forgot that Tiny actually made it to 18 pounds....he'd lost weight before he passed away.

Flemish will be "growing" for over a year....sometimes 18 months or so.

I'm finally starting to see my herd buck and main herd doe at the weight I thought they'd be at - and he's almost 2 and she's 18 months or so.

[align=center]Oh =( Aww...

I wonder how big Nala will end up being.

This is exciting, my youngest buns I've ever gotten were Solara and Sabriel, both at 6 months so they were pretty much full grown!

It looks like a mix to me or only about 10weeks. By 3months my does are always over 8pounds if not 12pounds. Her cheeks also don't look quite right. Flem babies usually have these almost round looking fatty cheeks... hard to explain but I can pick out flem bred into most anything by those cheeks!

Toastasaraus wrote:
It looks like a mix to me or only about 10weeks. By 3months my does are always over 8pounds if not 12pounds. Her cheeks also don't look quite right. Flem babies usually have these almost round looking fatty cheeks... hard to explain but I can pick out flem bred into most anything by those cheeks!

[align=center]Yeah, she could be a mix...

Look at how big she is compared to my 2 year old, 12 lb flemish, Silas.
They're in the exact same position.
2011-03-13125716.jpg

Latest posts

Back