Is there a term a term for a rabbit that is an offspring of a purebreed and F1 crossbreed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toptom

Reaction score
I don't think it is F2 if the purebreed is not even related to the F1, and it is applied only in filial generations.

The only time I’ve met up calling animal F1, F2 and so on, is during research to keep a tract on genetics and genes.

A mixed bunny is still a mutt and nothing more with that 😊

They technically do use the terms F1b and such like they do in dogs, however people don't use those terms very much in rabbits. There isn't much demand for mixed breed rabbits - most the people who mix breeds and actually keep track of that stuff aren't aiming for an even mix of breeds like you see with labradoodles or whatever. They're often just breeding the crossbred back into purebred lines and selecting for the right traits to try to bring traits from one breed into another (rabbits are an open registry). I would be leery of anybody who advertised a rabbit by mentioning their filial generations with only a very small number of exceptions.

Thanks all for your answer. It's such that, these terms (F1, F2, etc.) are widely used in my location. I'm not from US, Canada, or Europe so... Even big farms in here use these terms basically for purification purposes to achieve the desired trait and maybe for marketing purposes as well.

@SableSteel
agreed! Found out an article in wikipedia about backcrossing and they would sometimes the "BC" acro. And then a study stating that each breeds are more genetically similar with each other than with the whole domesticated rabbits overall (don't wanna push on this).

(Backcrossing - Wikipedia)

Latest posts

Back