Is the green stain under his nose normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy1973

Reaction score
Hi!
My bunny has a constant green stain around his nose and I was wondering if this is normal? He doesn't have any runny nose or watery eyes. Every once in awhile sneezes when I give him fresh hay. He eats and plays well. His poop looks normals. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and opinions.20200829_143636.jpg

Thank you for your reply Mariam+Theo! I'm feeding him Small Select Timoty Hay 2nd cut. I just order the Orchard grass hay just in case he's allergic to what he is eating.

Let me know if he gets better after you swap him to orchard hay. Small Pet Select has really good timothy hay and it is not dusty, so maybe he is allergic to timothy. I still think that it would be best to get him checked out by an experienced rabbit-savvy vet just in case it is a respiratory infection.

I'll look into finding a vet. So that I can be prepared, do you happen to know the range of cost of getting bunnies checked by a vet?

Here is a list of great vets: Vet List | House Rabbit Society

When I took Theo, it was $55 to get him an appointment and $125 for an x-ray, but I recently swapped vets and now it is only $20 for an appointment and $30 for an x-ray. I think you will need an x-ray so they can check his lungs. It really just depends on where you go, and how experienced they are at working with rabbits.

If your hay have turned into extra dusty recently and the discharge is not colored and only slightly wet around the nose. Also if he don’t get stuffed nose or trouble breathing. I wouldn’t stress all too much. Try to dust the hay before giving it to him. But do a check up to rule out other problems.

It’s good checking out, my own bunny get that stain often. Turn out he’s sensitive to something in the hay that trigger snuffle/ a runny stuffed noise. But when he live outdoors he won’t have the same problems as indoors. I think the wind blow away the dust and give him a top ventilation which help his sensitivity to hay. He have chronic rhinitis, so stuffed and dirty nose comes and go. Right now he have a white clean nose but will sneeze after being near his hay and get a little bit stuffed.

That definitly looks like dusty hay, I would check that. It shouldn't smell musty or moldy, some dust can be normal.

Latest posts

Back