Is nail polish remover (high acetone variety) dangerous for a bun to inhale?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Gelly
Reaction score
I just soaked my gel manicure in a container filled with acetone polish remover. My 7 mos. old mini rex has his enclosure near the table where I did this. I had the acetone container out for at least 40-50 min and I know acetone evaporates quickly. Does anyone know if this can pose health risks to my bunny? Really freaking out. I opened the door but I’m still scared and it’s freezing outside.

Aceton is an irritant, yes, but about what amount of evaporated aceton are you worrying here? I guess not about something in the range of 1/4 litre, or so, considering prices of cosmetics.
It doesn't evaporate that quickly from a container (small surface area, compared to washing a car with it for painting). As long as there is not a quite strong smell in the air it won't do damage when exposure is short, and venting the room for a few minutes will get rid of it.

Also, just to mention it, acetone isn't good for the skin, dries it up - and what most do not know is that a single drop in the eye can cause serious permanent damage, even make you blind. Never store a container of that stuff above shoulder level, a lid comming off could really ruin your day.

Last edited:
Aceton is an irritant, yes, but about what amount of evaporated aceton are you worrying here? I guess not about something in the range of 1/4 litre, or so, considering prices of cosmetics.
It doesn't evaporate that quickly from a container (small surface area, compared to washing a car with it for painting). As long as there is not a quite strong smell in the air it won't do damage when exposure is short, and venting the room for a few minutes will get rid of it.

Also, just to mention it, acetone isn't good for the skin, dries it up - and what most do not know is that a single drop in the eye can cause serious permanent damage, even make you blind. Never store a container of that stuff above shoulder level, a lid comming off could really ruin your day.

The acetone was in a shallow wide container though, not the bottle

Latest posts

Back