is it possible to be allergic to lionheads but not others

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ava martin

Reaction score
so i have a lionhead i have had her for 3 years. and i just got a new rabbit that is a holland lop and now i am having small allergic reactions . does anyone know how to help prevent it from happing and why .

How recently did you get the new rabbit? Could it be that she was in (or fed) a different kind of hay? Hay is a common allergen and one can be allergic to certain types and not others.

I know that different kinds/breeds of cats can have different dander in their fur - my mom was allergic specifically to short-hair domestic cats but completely unbothered by long hair cats. In my experience, it seems like that can apply to rabbits as well.

I started out 6 1/2 years ago with a Lionhead and a Holland Lop. I've had allergy testing done and had NO known allergens; my body is just over-sensitive to stimuli sometimes. Anyway, something about my little Holland could really make my face (nose and cheeks) itch like crazy!! I could rub my face all over my Lionhead without issue but I'd kiss Gazzles a couple times and just be itching like mad. It got irritating enough that I got in the habit of washing my face after handling her. When I moved in with my husband (who has terrible seasonal allergies), he complained that he felt like he was having mild allergic reactions to our Holland as well. The weirdest part is that we have a different Holland Lop now and neither one of us reacts that strongly to her.

I found this stuff... the brand is "Nature's Miracle" and the product is "dander remover and body deodorizer". Basically, you fold up a couple paper towels or a washcloth, mist it with the spray and then rub the cloth lightly over the surface of the animal's fur. You're not so much applying the product to the animal as you are using it to attract the dander to the cloth. I started using it on Gaz before we held or snuggled her and my husband and I both noticed a dramatic decrease in facial itching and other minor allergy symptoms. I think they might also sell it in wipe form.

Latest posts

Back