Is it me or...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrittsBunny

Reaction score
[align=center]http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv342/lovemybuns/Health/?action=view&current=DSC01904.jpg[/align]
Facts on the bun:

Fixed: negative (the previous owner said they only had the males fixed - I have one of th males)

I am having a problem with my roomie because when we agreed to buy the bunnies, I thought she was going to help (like take care of her own bunny!) We didn't know that females HAD to be fixed until after we got them (we didn't know about the cancer she could most definitely get). I don't have to money for her to get fixed and my roomie doesn't care. I want to take the female to a local bunny rescue, but my roomie owes me about $150 dollars for all the supplies we bought when we first bought the bunnies. And I am the one that goes out and buys the feed and hay!

I just don't know what to do! I wish I could get this bun (her name is Chrome), to be less skittish (she is scared to death of everything), and be litter boxed trained...she tries, butI still find several poops scattered throughout the living room. Wrangler, my bun, is pretty much perfect when it comes to his box (though again, he is fixed). If I had the money I would get Chrome fixed in a heartbeat, but I can only afford to take care of my bun and I am supposed to be getting a job to help with the bills for my horse! Once I get a job, I can probably set aside money to get her fixed...but how long can she wait? When does cancer start affecting female bunnies?

I wonder if this post wouldn't be better off in the health forum -- I don't know the answer to how long you can wait before spaying. I would think you could wait until anytime up to the point that she actually had developed the cancer. I didn't realize that spaying was supposed to improve litter boxing habits. That's news to me.

Get her spayed as soon as you can. Honestly, I don't know if there's a typical age of uterine cancer onset, but more likely you're going to get very sick of her hormonal and non-littertrained behavior. The sooner the better because she will heal faster if she is younger and of course there is less cancer risk if it's removed earlier.

As for the amount of poop, that looks like what Tony or Muffin puts out in one day. How big is the bunny? I think it's pretty important that the poo size is appropriate for the bunny size. Bigger bunnies=bigger poos, so maybe she's having lots of poos that are too small for how she should be. Hope that made sense.

Most importantly, this bunny needs an owner who's responsible. I think your friend needs to start taking financial responsibility for her girl and getting her the medical care she needs because like you said, it's her bunny. Being a pet owner has a lot of rewards but there are also responsibilities, especially to get your bunny spayed/neutered (best to do when they are young because it's easier to recover from the surgery at that age). That she's not paying for food or anything makes me worried. :?

Apparently spaying does improve litter box habits. Having said that my messiest bun is the one that was spayed 6 months ago. The rest are either intact or spayed/neutered about 6weeks ago. But when it comes to peing and pooping all over the place Coco (spayed six months ago) beats then all:biggrin2:
This is by the way just my own experience. it all depends on the bunny.

Rabbits are capable of poo'ing up to 300 marbles a day. Ours get a lot of hay and I noticed their digestive tract compacts the fiberstrands into neat brown dry droppings.
The amount in the litter box looks normal for a healthy bunner, using the rest room over a 24-hr. period. Hope this helps.

Thanks yall for the replies. Obviously it's a concern. And I feel like I am carrying the weight on my back. My roomie is one of my best friends so I am trying to figure out how to go about it...

"Hey I need $150 dollars for the split amount, and well, maybe you should donate your bunny to the local rabbit rescue, since you don't really care about her."

Yeah...I don't know how to approach her. She has a dog and two horses and she takes care of them fine, but she can't take care of her bunny. The only time she took care of the bunnies was over Christmas break...and they got out twice (Wrangler dug underneath her barn and got out!)...which isn't her fault, but hey, I wasn't there.

Wrangler doesn't even get along with Chrome...or I should say, Chrome doesn't get along with Wrangler- she just growls at him and pulls his fur out. So they aren't a good match (I don't know what the previous owner was thinking!)...this has turned into a mess!

(btw I am not saying that I don't care for Chrome, but my gosh, it's her bunny! She is the one that agreed to getting them!)

Yes, it would be really difficult to tell your friend something like that. I hope you all can find a solution to this. Maybe you could have a joint yard sale in the spring to raise some money for vet care (and for her to pay you back!).

Once she is spayed they may be a good match.

Frankly, if she doesn't particularly want the rabbit, you can take her on (with all the caging) and call it even.
If you've paid for everything, I would guess that the bunny would technically be yours. Might as well be, if you're doing all the work too.

Incidence of uterine cancer is much higher after 2 years of age, according to my very vague memory (meaning, many rabbits develop it by age 2 IF they develop it at all).

Either way, you'll be a lot happier with the litter habits post-spay. You should know though, that a few stray poos are not abnormal for a home with more than one rabbit. Think of poos as little bunny conversations over territory
As the other posters remarked, she is still quite young and hormonal.
If she's managing to keep all the pee in the litter box, she's doing pretty good with the litter training.

She is hormonal, and probably pretty moody... hence, she and Wrangler aren't getting on so well. Two buns can get on really well before the hormones kick in, but hormones tend to really mess up bunny relationships. Post-spay, there is a very good chance they will get along better.

Latest posts

Back