Is Emmy going to die?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trina

Reaction score
Is Emmy going to die since i read "carrots" topicabout her wonderful bunny? I don't want her to die!:shock:*crying* [[ swollen gum and lip]]

You'll have to get rid of that infection or it can get into her system, Trina.

-Carolyn

yeah.. but if my mom said that it's over $100.00then she said that she can't afford it! plus does your pet have to getinsurance or anything??:?

Hey Trina,

I know how awful it is to not have money for vet bills and not knowwhat to do. I hope it all works out. I raisedbunnies as a kidtoo, and vet bills were scary because I was in the same boat as you arenow.

What I've done is to find local breeders/pet store ownerswhomay know something about it. When you raise bunnies for a long time,you become your own vet to some extent. Generally you can find someonewho's seen that problem and can tell you what they did.

Here's my checklist, not fool-proof but works in general:

Is she eating?

Does she have trouble eating?

Is she drinking?

Hopping around?

Has she lost a lot of weight recently?

Does her coat look "rough" and dull?

Does she sit around and not respond?

Does she jerk when you touch it? (when it's a lip, she may do this anyway because bunnies are touchy like that)

Bunnies chew on everything. It's possible she got ahold of somethingsharp and it's just a bad cut. If she's otherwise ok, try just keepingit clean. On external injuries and infections, Tea Tree Oil(melaleuca) is a miracle-worker. It stings a bit, and I've heard you'renot supposed to use it internally. A powerful antibacterial--I canvouch for it's effectiveness, since we use it for all kinds of cuts onus and bunnies. And I have put it on my inner lip for cuts, etc.,without harm, but I can't guarantee it for bunnies internally.

Best to you,

Rose

Trina,

To qualify: If it's a cut, keep it clean of dirt and wash it out dailywith a disinfectant so that it doesn't become infected.

If it is infected, as I thought you described before by the redness andswelling, Doc gave you instructions on your other post about how todeal with it through an antibiotic medication and washing it off,carefully cutting it, draining it, and then using the antibioticmedication. You can use the over-the-counter ones they make for humans.

She's jumping out of your arms when you check it out because shedoesn't want you to fool around with it. It probably hurts or at theminimum is irritating.

-Carolyn

It won't hurt her to lick that little bitoff. Keep in mind that we are just venturing someguesses as to what's going on. It's difficult without beingable to get a good look and be able to touch it. Istill recommend a vet visit if it's in any way possible.

Pam

Latest posts

Back