Introducing veggies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe 6 months is the "formal" age mentioned, but doing so earlier, like 4 months, could be fine as well, especially if you start small and gradually. I think romaine and green lettuces tend to be "safe" ones to start with.

Make sure all lettuces are Dark green. Light green lettuces, such as iceberg, can contain lactucarium.

I started my 4 bunnies on kale and romaine at first if I remember correctly. Always make sure to introduce new veggies/foods slowly and in small quantities. :)

Between 4 and 6 months is usually fine. If one waits too long, it can make some rabbits more resistant to trying them. There are some rabbits that are picky.

Try to think more in terms of "greens" than "veggies." Only introduce one type to start. Stick with that one type for several days minimum before trying a different one. This way, if he does react to a particular green, you'll know which one is the cause.

This link (from my website) explains in more detail and includes a list for which greens are safe for daily feeding and which are not.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html

The current advice by expert rabbit vets in the UK is that there is no reason to wait to introduce fresh food. Of course it has to be done very cautiously, herbs and forage and grass are best to start with but introduce one thing at a time in very small quantities and wait two weeks between introductions of new foods and keep a food diary so you have a chance of finding out what they don't tolerate well. Keep fresh food limited to the size of their head per day so they keep eating lots and lots of hay.

Back