Introducing my bun to a new one

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel Burke

Reaction score
Hi. So I’m new to having a bunny, we got her in March this year at 10 weeks old. She is now happy and settled in our home and we are thinking about rescuing a 1 year old male bun from the RSPCA. Does anyone have any idea if this is a good idea? Should I have done it when she was younger? Will she get along with an older rabbit? Will they bond the same since they weren’t together from the start? I’m not too sure what to do so any help will be much appreciated.

This is NOT the time to get another rabbit. In a few weeks, she will start getting hormonal. That is when everything changes. Trying to bond a baby is never advised because any appearance of a bond isn't real and doesn't count. When she's hormonal, she's likely to fight off any rabbit, anywhere.

She is too young to try to bond. Wait until after she has been spayed. Once spayed, you can introduce her to some other fixed rabbits to pre-screen for potential compatibility.

Read here for more on bonding.

Thanks for your reply.
How long after spaying would you suggest introducing her to another rabbit? She is getting spayed this month, does she need a settling in period after having this done?

After a spay, you are supposed to wait a month before meeting any new bunnies.

You're asking good questions, Rachel.

Since you're new to having bunnies, I want to highlight that you should really commit attention to learning with your single rabbit for now before thinking about getting another one. Learning things like body language, health signs, proper diet, exercise, housing set-up, cleaning routine... All these will be something you'll continue to learn about with your first rabbit, and it's important to be comfortable with all of those before thinking about a second.

@John Wick has a good point. You will want to know your girl's personality before getting a second bunny. Her personality will probably change a ton after the spay and knowing her new personality can be very beneficial when it comes time to meet potential partners as you will have an idea of what personalities will do best with hers.

Thank you. I understand what Yous are saying and will take your advice. I just keep seeing everywhere that bunnies are better in pairs and I don’t want her to be lonely or missing out on this important part of bunny life. But if Yous think it’s best to wait and she won’t suffer from her lack of companionship at this age I will wait

Most rabbits can actually do just fine as singles -- provided they are housed indoors and getting plenty of exercise. But providing a bondmate is a good thing - at the right time. It would actually be more stressful for bunny to be hormonal and having to contend with the competition of another rabbit. So you are doing her a favor by waiting until after she is healed from surgery. :)

As John Wick mentioned, getting to understand and know your rabbit more is a great idea as they can change as they become adults. There is definitely a learning curve with pet rabbits. With every rabbit I've had, I've learned a bit more.

In the meantime, you can have fun with us on this forum sharing ideas and info.

Latest posts

Back