Introducing four buns - am I doing this right?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coco_puffs

Reaction score
Hi all! I have four buns. One pair - lops - are litter-mates and fully bonded - almost six months old - male/female.

The other pair have been together for about two months. They are male/female nearly the same age - one year. The male is a Lionhead and the female is a dwarf (not sure which species).

Anyhoo - I want them all to eventually occupy the house with us, with no boundaries.

Right now they are in two separate rooms with a divider.

When I brought the year-olds home several weeks ago they were kept in a separate room with the bi-fold doors closed. I wanted the babies to know they were there, to be able to smell them, but not interact.

After two weeks I opened the doors and installed a metal screen so they can see each other full time, but still not interact. There were some squabbles but they have decreased dramatically. They are getting used to seeing each other now.

In the past week I have begun feeding them lettuce near each other (see photo). I know eating is a social thing for rabbits and I wanted them to do this social activity in each others' presence.

Am I going about this the right way? We think the Lionhead was part of a hoard and he is very unsocial with humans, LOVES his roommate but does tend to show aggression to my female lop. He is still very afraid of us - I have a sneaking suspicion that he was abused by humans.

I thought, a few more weeks of this 'eating in each others' presence' and then we can bring them into the same room. My roommate can hold one bun and I can hold the other, in case they want to fight, and let them sniff and interact, while we are holding them.

I'm afraid of fights and those teeth. I don't want anyone getting injured.

How is this introduction process? Anything else I can do to make it easier?

piewoodylorrie.jpg

I know there's a member on here who bonds multiple buns so hopefully she will chime in. I do know that when introducing bonded pairs to other rabbits, there is always the risk that the original bond will be broken. So it is possible that one or both bonds will break if they don't all agree to get along. Females can be especially territorial and it sounds like you intend to introduce them on non-neutral territory. Usually neutral territory is recommended.
Oven mitts work well if you have to intervene. Just be aware of the risk of broken bonds.

Thank you very much. I didn't think about the broken bonds. That would be sad as everyone seems to love their buddies.

When you put them together for the first time without a fence you'll want it to be in a completely neutral area. Introducing in non-neutral is kind of setting yourself up for failure. Following the neutral, semi-neutral, territory progression will give you a greater chance for success. It's tried and true.

Depending on how the all together introduction goes you can also break down the larger group into different pair combinations for bonding sessions in the beginning. It's all about what works best for your rabbits. Keep in mind that while pair combination sessions can be helpful when bonding 3 or more rabbits the group dynamic is different and they might act differently once you put them all together again.

Other than that, bonding groups is similar to bonding pairs and the same techniques can be used.

Best of luck!

Back