Introducing carpet access to bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memesbunnies

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Been a long time since I posted on here, a lot of stuff has changed. "Just Bunny" our mini rex had a vaccation at the farm for a month or two, he had a large chicken house to himself and had a great time but weather is too cold for him so him and his cage lived in the heated shop for a few weeks while my son and I moved and settled in our new place. We now have Just Bunny living with us and so far he has had two days where he was allowed to roam in the kitchen, dining room, bathroom, all with (brand new) linoleum. We are not supposed to have pets in here so we smuggled him in. He just got put in his cage for getting into the computer wires, bad bunny. He is always supervised while out of his cage for this reason, we hope to block off the wires soon so no one has to worry. Such a good bunny so far, I have a litter box in the corner for him but he runs back to his cage to use the potty then is out and about again.

My question is how will he do when/if allowed to go into the bedrooms and living room (with brand new carpet). Has anyone had any bunnies think the carpet was one big litter box or do they still follow routine? I realize he may scratch the carpet and couch so will supervise him on that, although he does not seem to be a scratcher. I guess I could test him by buying a chunk of carpet or floor mat and see if he leaves it alone while he is out and about on the lino.

make sure to always watch for pulled tufts of carpet. Dante was always aloud on the carpet, never did anything to it, then one day he suddenly decided (after 9 months of not doing anything to the carpet) that it was just one big chew toy. i give him wooden spoons, a bunch of toys, 24/7 access to hay, nothing works. so yea, just always watch for it, cause it's the hardest thing to get them to stop once started.

I don't think there's any way to know other than to let him out and see.

We have hardwood floors, but an area rug in the living room and now a cheap area rug in the bunny pen area. Otto has always been perfect with the carpet and has never had an accident on it or pulled up a single fiber.

Hannah has had one or two pee "accidents" (I say that in quotes because they weren't accidents - they were marking on purpose) on the carpet the first time she was let out. I cleaned it up well with vinegar (if you get to it right away, it doesn't even have a chance to soak in) and she's never done it again. She has pulled up a couple fibers in the rug in their pen (which is fine, since it's cheap) but has never really tried to destroy it or bothered the rug in the living room. It helps if the rug is very thick and the fibers are dense - the living room rug is thick dense wool and it's not easy for them to pull up fibers. A long fibered carpet like shag that's easy to pluck at would be much more tempting.

They love the traction! The binkies on the carpet are the best :)

Latest posts

Back