Introducing a new rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegooch69

Reaction score
I have a mini lop, not exactly sure how old but I've had since april and he was really small when I got him. I got a tiny dwarf rabbit, again not sure of age but young, younger than my mini lop.

So I took them both into the bathroom and placed them together. They started out sniffing each other, and my dwarf rabbit kept trying the sniff the under body of my lop. I guess this made my lop made and started to chase her in a circle. Then my lop pooped, marking his territory I guess.

So I seperated them and haven't put them together since. I'm guessing that it didn't go too well. I'm going to try a car ride with them since that's really neutral territory. Any other suggestions?

Hi,

First thought...have both been fixed? Altered rabbits are usually easier to bond and that takes the male vs. male and female vs. female out of the issue as well as the possibility of an undesirable pregancy.

Successful bonding is easier if you are a rabbit too. It's Rabbit 101. Their is an "alpha" or dominant rabbit in each group. You should be that leader. Neutral territory is a good thing. And a car ride, in a carrier that neither rabbit has even been in, will provide neutral terriotory as well as enough of a stress level to force them to seek comfort in each other. A washing machine orclothes dryer will do the same thing...justmake sure you are there to prevent the carriers from working their way off the appliance.We also use a masking agent to cover any possibility of a territorial marking. We put a streak of vanilla flavoring on the bridge of their nose....they can only smell the vanilla and not a marking scent. Makes them smell good too. A spray bottle of water also helps too. In nature, a spray of urine is a sign of dominace and that act is known by all rabbits. If a "issue" should arise, a short spray of water will usually rectify that problem and establish you as the "alpha" in the group. Keep the first few sessions short..less than 5 minutes if there is any sign of aggression from either. Expand the minutes as they get to know each other. And rabbits do respond to positive reinforcement. Reward them for appropriate behavior....and refuse a reward when they misbehave. They are smart and will learn that quickly. And patience and understanding are necessary. Just keep in mind that they are rabbits and have their natural way of doing things. Use that to your advantage for a successful bonding.

Randy

Just to make this easier, Reeses is my male(so I'm told) mini lop that I had for about 3 months now, and Roxy is my female(also so I'm told) dwarf rabbit that I just got.

Well I introduced them to each other, and didn't go all too well. Roxy kept trying to sniff Reeses and crawl underneath him, and he didn't like that to much and chased her. I broke them up, but they went at it again so I separated them. Tried this again and same thing happened.

I put them both in a completely small neutral spot. They both were just sniffing around. Roxy then peed and started sniffing Reeses again like she always does and they started fighting again. Sprayed water at them and they still fought. I had to separate them again and they haven't been together since.

Looks like things aren't going all too well. Roxy is definitively the antagonizer. I don't know what shes doing, sniffing, nibbling, biting, but always crawls underneath Reeses.

I don't know what to do. I'm going to try a car ride and if that doesn't work, I don't know what will.

Pegasus, male and Thumper, female were recently bonded and yes, they were difficult. Both are neutered.

First I separated them by a fence. I did this for a few days.

Then I took the vacuum cleaner to the bathroom and started it. While it was running I put the rabbits in the bathtub. They huddled together. I kept them together like that for an hour or two.

For the next stage I started turning off the vacuum cleaner after I had them in the tub. If they started fighting I turned it on again, and they did fight. Eventually I was able to turn it off completely. This took about 2 weeks.

Then I tried them in the area where Thumper plays (she was here before Pegasus). Thumper attacked again so I used a squirt gun and firm "NO !" She soon got the idea.

They soon were huddling together and licking each other... "Bunny Love."

Thumper is 4 1/2 lbs. and Pegasus is 6 1/2. I had previously used the same method to bond Thumper with Usagi, a Netherland Dwarf that weighed about 1 3/4 lbs. When Usagi died I got Pegasus for Thumper.

Okay I am assuming neither are fixed considering you're unsure of the sexes.

I would stop putting them together AT ALL until they're altered and then wait 2 weeks at least for the hormones to wear off.

Your life (and theirs) will be MUCH easier. Plus you won't end up with 10 instead of 2;)

I wish there was some way other way to bond them other than to scare them.

The squirt bottle doesn't bother me and neither does the car ride because some of the time they have to go to vets in the car anyway

The washing machine bothers me
I have generally been unsuccessful in bonding ..probably because I want them to naturally develop affection for each other...and they don't :D

Actually I hadn't considered that thay might not be neutered/spayed. There are far too many unwanted rabbits now. (http://www.PetFinder.com) All rabbits should be spayed before you bond them.

Both Thumper and Pegasus came from rescues. All rabbits that I ever have will almost certainly come from rescues.

As for bonding without scaring them... well, good luck. Rabbits are by nature very territorial. As Randy said, you should think like a rabbit, be a rabbit and work within their nature.

Latest posts

Back