intorducing my flemmie!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemish giant

Reaction score
So now that Polly is well and we have finally got past that school shopping I decided to get my new flemmie. Its a 5 month old doe. I'm scheduling a vet visit as soon as I get home and she will be taken in for a checkup. In a few months we will get her spayed and she will be hopefully a free roam bunny downstairs although I'm still thinking about trying to bond her with peeta and Polly then maybe letting them all free roam but I'd have to fix the pulling up carpet problem Polly has. But anyway here is a pic.

20130818_144609.jpg

Oh if anybody has suggestions for names please post them. Oh and if you know what color she is. She probably isn't a recognized Flemish color. Her dad was black and her mom was light gray. They died when she was younger one got killed by an animal and the other a heart attack from seeing it. The lady was going to breed her too so I had to intervene. She is gray with specks of black and has black tips on her ears and a black tail.

names- since your other bunnies start with "P" - penelope, petunia, parsley, phoebe, poppy,princess, petal, pumpernickel.

My mom wanted her to be Penelope but I show sheep and I'm buying some sheep and they're names are Penelope and piper. I don't think I. Want to stick with p's though I do love Phoebe.

Very pretty rabbit. And if i recall correctly you can breed black to light gray, its not a disqualification and nothing strange should come out of it. i think. Anyway, good luck with bonding, I'm jealous that you are now trying for a trio while i m still banging my head on a pair.

Well I still haven't decided on bonding. I still have a while till she's spayed and I need to take her to the vet before they even come close to each other.

She pees while or right after she drinks. Most of her pee has been right beside her water. Can I buy a water bottle and put it over the litter box? She hasn't hopped in the litter box once.

What I did to litter train was to hang a hay rack over the litter box. Any poo outside the litter box I would place in the litter box. I would soak a piece of paper towel in any pee outside the box and place the paper towel in the box. I cleaned the cage every day or more often to keep it extra clean. I would use a vinegar/water mix to clean the cage to get rid of any urine smell.

The problem is I don't think she was given hay. She hasn't eating any from what I've seen also she hasn't jumped in the litter box once. I am placing pee and poo in litter box though. I'm using diluted vinegar as well. I'm trying to get her to drink out of the water bottle so she will at least pee in the litter box. She has a vet appointment for next Friday.

It is hard to say for sure judging a color based just by the parents color since colors from the previous generations can pop up. There are seven recognized Flemish colors. She could be light grey. This is the description I found: surface color shall be uniform light grey with ticking of black tipped guard hairs. It shall be an agouti coat with distinct bands when blowing into the coat. Under color shall be slate blue next to the skin and there shall be an intermediate band of off white. Belly surface shall be white with slate blue under color.

The other colors are: white, black, steel grey, blue, fawn and sandy.

I really think she is steel grey. She doesn't have enough white or light grey for me to think she is light grey. So this is the first of my three bunnies and that I've ever heard of that was scared to get in to a litter box!!! I took her bowl of water away and put a bottle above her litter box but she didny go in there so I had to put the water bottle in front of her and lead her to it. Hopefully this will get her potty trained.

does alfalfa till a year sound like a good idea? i read somewhere either on this forum or another that a moderator feed alfalfa until a year with flemmies bc of how long they grow.

also name as of now is Harper which i think is pretty good but we will see if it matches her personality. can flemish giants be kept on harnesses?

You are probably too young to remember Hairspray but I like Penny Pingleton....(is permanently punished) LOL it's the only line I remember from the movie.

Last edited:
Are you sure she knows how to use a water bottle? If your bun is avoiding the litter box I don't believe that moving her only water source is going to be the most effective way to get her over it. I personally wouldnt do anything that might cause my rabbit to limit his eating or drinking. Is the size of the box sufficient for a large bun? I never thought my bun would be litter trained eventually he did figure it out and has become extremely reliable once I got him a larger box.

Latest posts

Back