Info...Our very first show

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid

Reaction score
Angelina and I decided the show on the 14th is too soon....too much traveling...and Dougal is having some issues settling in...BUT...

there is this one...and I can drive that no problem...

Some random questions.

Do we need some sort of special showing cage?

His ear has not been inked yet, can we just have it done quickly at this show or do we need to have it already done before we can go to the show?

Does his age matter at all? He is 9 weeks old today...

What do I need to do before we go?

If youth are not allowed to show Flemish Giants can I show for her?

and anything you could please tell us...

SANDHILLS RABBIT FANCIERS (YOUTH) (SANFORD)

12/12/2009

PAUL DVORAK, 1537 CLEARWATER DR, SANFORD, NC 273309074

919-775-6044 [email protected]

This would be the best show, the closest (distance) ....and gives us some time to figure out what we are doing lol...

Thanks!

In my humble opinion, I think he's too young to show. I'd wait until he is 16+ weeks old (4+ months). He won't compete well against older Juniors and I wouldn't stress him out at such a young age. There is a minimum weight to put a Flemish on the table (6 lbs.) but most breeders/fanciers won't put a Junior Flemish on the table until it's over 9 lbs.

The only requirement is usually a leak proof bottom on the carrier. You should have one that allows you to lift him out of the top of the carrier. Those little doors at the front of cat carriers are pretty useless, especially of the rabbit doesn't want to com out! Get an inexpensive top opening cat carrier at Walmart for your first show.

He does need to be tattooed before the show. You an ask Sarah if she knows anyone with a tattoo pen, that would be willing to help you.

You can bring a water bottle and hay, HIM and the carrier, maybe a small brush to clean him up a bit. NEVER clip his nails the day of a show. It should be done a week ahead of time. We don't want him bleeding on a judge cause the vein got in the way!

Yes, you can enter her in OPEN if there is an open show. (instead of Youth... no big deal). Ask if Flemish are "sanctioned"... listed on the breeds to be shown. Ask someone there for help.. most Flemish breeders are very nice. (If Sarah is going to be there, ask her!)

I agree with blue giants. He is too young. He may not even be at weight... Why stress out a young rabbit if he will get DQ'd for being under weight if he is not at the required weight then you lose your entry fee and just take a chance of stressing or making the we one sick...

The other thing is, since he is so young, right now there are a ton of illness going around in all areas. At that young age, he could pick something up very easily and then he might die on you.

We were at a show in MD this past weekend. We came home with 6 rabbits sneezing... They were healthy & fine before we put them on the table... so now all are in quarantine... A friend was not as lucky. She had a rabbit die on her yesterday from being at the show. She picked something up at the show. Then another friend who lost 40 rabbits all from being at a show... yet another that lost 20... There are all kinds of things going around & a 9 week old baby will suffer if you bring him to a show.

I know how much fun it is to show, but I think you should sit back & let him grow up a bit before putting such a young rabbit on the table. I would not risk losing the little one over a show. Believe me I am a huge shower. We go to shows all over the USA & almost every weekend. But I will NEVER bring out such a young one. Their immune system is not built up enough & with all this stuff going around, it is not worth it... We actually scaled back this year because of all the illness going around.

We were going to go to Ohio in a couple weeks but heard that there is a nasty bug going all around that area. So, we're not going to go now. It is not worth risking our babies just to have fun showing.

This is only my opinion. Good luck in whatever you chose to do =)

If I can make a suggestion, GO to the show, just don't bring your bunny. You and your daughter can learn a lot just walking around and talking to people. (And it's a lot less stressful on you if you don't have to worry about getting a rabbit on the table.) Get a feel for how shows are organized and run, how the judging goes, what order your breed is shown in (alphabetical order by color, Black, Blue, Fawn, Light Gray, Sandy, Steel Gray, White) and what order age classes are done in (Flemish - "6" class- Sr. Buck, Sr. Doe, Intermediate Buck, Intermediate Doe, Junior Buck, Junior Doe.)

Watch how the judges pose the rabbits (Angelina can practice setting up your boy at home so he gets used to sitting still for the judge!). I think you'd have a great time just seeing how things work... and meeting people... and seeing the other breeds...

GREAT IDEA BLUE GIANTS!!!!

You can even buy the proper rabbit carrier for future shows!

Buy a double I am sure you will buy another rabbit at the show! If you get there early enough you can buy one & enter it day of show =)

LOL! I don't encourage getting a double carrier for Flemish! I have 3 of them sitting out in my barn and hardly ever use them... ever try to lift a carrier with two full grown Flemish in it? (Talk about an upper body work out!)

But LionheadLady is right, if they have vendors there, you may be able to purchase a nice show carrier at the show.. and whatever else you may need. It's one of the few times that you will see all the rabbit supplies you ever dreamed of, in one place, at one time!

And it is SO nice being able to chat with like-minded folk. (You know, people that don't think your totally NUTS because you keep and show RABBITS! It's really nice not having to explain your addiction!)

LOL TRUE!!! We have elops & even they get heavy in a double LOL

How do I post a picture on here... I have a great picture to what Bluegiants just said from convention I want to share with everyone but I can not get it to post!

moz-screenshot-4.png
moz-screenshot-5.png

Check out this thread... gives good instructions on how to post a photo:

Perhaps we will just attend and leave him at home. I do not want his health as risk..and right now he is not in top form.

How much money do you think I would need for one of the show carriers?

Thank you for everyones thoughts and advice.

A single carrier is usualy $15-$18.00, and they last for years!

BlueGiants wrote:
A single carrier is usualy $15-$18.00, and they last for years!
Awesome..we can afford that no problem!

Orchid wrote:
Perhaps we will just attend and leave him at home. I do not want his health as risk..and right now he is not in top form.

How much money do you think I would need for one of the show carriers?

Thank you for everyones thoughts and advice.
I think you are doing the best thing! Leave him home & go check it out for the future when your wee one is in tip top condition!!!

Have a great time at the show! They are a BLAST!!! Ask questions when you're there! I know if I see some one that looks confused I offer help... I can usually spot a new person out. I have tattoo buns for free for them, told them about the paper work, etc!!! Any questions please ask us, we can help or ask people at the show & they will.

Also, let us know how you make out at the show, what you thought about it... what you learned... how many new rabbits you bought home LOL Most people go saying I am NOT buying any & still come home with a new one LOL

I said to my daughter at convention, NO WAY, NOT COMING HOME WITH ANY, NOPE, NO WAY... WE HAVE TO FLY THEM... NOT GONNA DO IT!!! Well, guess what.... We are now the new owners of a Velveteen lop! LOL Even whan I say we have no cage space, we find it! SO BEWARE!!!!! there are MANY TEMPTATIONS at a rabbit show, especially your 1st one =)

Actually shockingly enough, If you are a nervous, slightly timid person, you don't come home with extra rabbits your first show! I didn't- I was too scared to talk to people. I took three holland bucks(only one of which i have now) and not a one did good on the table so I looked around and saw what I was aiming for and spent too much time walking around to buy anything One lady that had recognized me from my bucks on the table nabbed me and was showing me her hollands, Kind of break the ice for me!
I wish I had not taken any to my first show, so I could have just gone and watched, and break myself of the timid side so the second show wasn't as hard.

BlueGiants wrote:
And it is SO nice being able to chat with like-minded folk. (You know, people that don't think your totally NUTS because you keep and show RABBITS! It's really nice not having to explain your addiction!)
yeah, and not have people making the perverbial "Rabbits taste good" jokes :shock::X

You guys are making me want to go to a show so bad...this isn't fair.

I was going to go to two in November but decided against it - even though one is a flemish specialty show and Jack Langley will be there (the breeder I got my rabbits from). Its just too far and too expensive for right now.

BUT there is one in Killeen in December and I'm seriously considering going...

But waiting till then is so hard....

I got show fever again after being at the one in Storrs, Ct. I had forgotten how fun they are!

TinysMom wrote:
You guys are making me want to go to a show so bad...this isn't fair.

I was going to go to two in November but decided against it - even though one is a flemish specialty show and Jack Langley will be there (the breeder I got my rabbits from). Its just too far and too expensive for right now.

BUT there is one in Killeen in December and I'm seriously considering going...

But waiting till then is so hard....

I got show fever again after being at the one in Storrs, Ct. I had forgotten how fun they are!

If you could catch a ride on the next plane to Seattle, then you could come with me on Saturday to a rabbit show, :p

I'm really excited for it. Haven't shown since State Fair, and even regular rabbit shows are as much fun as fairs are. :p Not taking many bunnies, only 3 to show, 1 to sell and might tag along two for a friend to try selling. We're hoping to come home with a REW Mini Rex buck, though... Even though I'm trying to open up more cage space in order to buy new cages!! Lol.

Emily

loppalove wrote:
yeah, and not have people making the perverbial "Rabbits taste good" jokes :shock::X
I can not express just how very sick I am of hearing people say that crap to me and around me....

Orchid wrote:
loppalove wrote:
I can not express just how very sick I am of hearing people say that crap to me and around me....
Yeah, my dad does it to me almost daily. I saw, come see- so or so- and he's like they're all rabbits to me, and they'll taste good. I've tuned them out now.

Latest posts

Back