In need of advice. What would you do if you where me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MiniLopHop wrote:
I agree with Peg, distract and get lots of pictures. Once you have pictures it might spur the humane society to deal with it. If they don't go to the press.

It hurts me to say this, but for now I think the bunnies need to stay or they will just be replaced. I wouldn't give the HS more than two days to deal with it before taking the next step. Without water these poor bunnies are on borrowed time. :pray:
Around here - feed stores aren't as quick to replace bunnies as a pet store. Basically the pet stores will seek out bunnies - the feed stores will get them when they come in but not go out looking...but I could be wrong.

I would get those bunnies OUT of that place ASAP - sorry. I understand not wanting them to be replaced...but I'd take the bunnies to the Animal Control with me to show what they're like (AFTER taking photos).
;
Or I would offer to drive WITH the AC officers to the store THAT DAY ... before taking the photos to the newspaper the next day with a timeline of how often I'd called AC, etc.

But I'd get those rabbits out and give them a chance to live.

Really wish I could help....but alas I'm getting two "rescues" in today - their mom is going to college (a forum member) and her mom can't handle the big girl who is cage aggressive - and her "best friend" is coming to live beside her until both can be neutered and bonded...

So my hands are tied as far as taking them in here..

TinysMom wrote:
MiniLopHop wrote:
I agree with Peg, distract and get lots of pictures. Once you have pictures it might spur the humane society to deal with it. If they don't go to the press.

It hurts me to say this, but for now I think the bunnies need to stay or they will just be replaced. I wouldn't give the HS more than two days to deal with it before taking the next step. Without water these poor bunnies are on borrowed time. :pray:
Around here - feed stores aren't as quick to replace bunnies as a pet store. Basically the pet stores will seek out bunnies - the feed stores will get them when they come in but not go out looking...but I could be wrong.

I would get those bunnies OUT of that place ASAP - sorry. I understand not wanting them to be replaced...but I'd take the bunnies to the Animal Control with me to show what they're like (AFTER taking photos).
;
Or I would offer to drive WITH the AC officers to the store THAT DAY ... before taking the photos to the newspaper the next day with a timeline of how often I'd called AC, etc.

But I'd get those rabbits out and give them a chance to live.

Really wish I could help....but alas I'm getting two "rescues" in today - their mom is going to college (a forum member) and her mom can't handle the big girl who is cage aggressive - and her "best friend" is coming to live beside her until both can be neutered and bonded...

So my hands are tied as far as taking them in here..
That is a great idea! Then they will have to either DO something or deal with the press. I think that would get them to move.

I agree, riding to the store with the officer sounds like a good idea.

I probably would have already gone and bought them all... I'm bad for rushing into a situation when an animal needs help.

squeaky wheel gets the oil!!! call the animal control EVERY day until somebody does something. What about the better business bureau, that store is selling "shoddy" merchandise.... generally just be a pain in their butt

This is so sad to hear. Can we do this? You post their phone number, all of just call and ask nicely? Bunnies don't deserve this... :-(

On the side note, we had 5 unexpected litter last Jan and we couldn't sell or give out any of them because we knew there are nasty people like this out there. We decided to keep them all.

phone the humane society and don't take no for an answer. Then phone Narn. Then I would make myself a cheap explicit
sign and stand outside their store and stop every person going in encouraging them to not buy there. One of two things is going to happen - you get them where their pocket books are, or Katie is going to have the police and media down there trying to find out what is going on. We'll post your bail.In the meantime can you feed and water them??

typed in rabbit rescue society for Tacoma, Wa and got the following. There are alot more:
Seattle Animal Shelter - 2061 15 Ave NW - 1 mile S of Ballard Bridge - Advertised as - bring your rabbit in for $20 or will arrange pickup - (206) 386- PETS (7387)
BaaHaus Animal Rescue - Vashon, Wa
Best Little Rabbit, Rodent and Ferret House, Seattle, Wa
King County Animal Sercies - Kent & Bellvue
PAWS ( Progressive Animal Welfare Society ) Lynnwood, Wa
Sara's Sanctuary, Redwood, Wa
Pet Guardian Angels of America ( don't know local listing )

Post the name of the store and some of us can start firing of emails to some of the societies. Maybe if they get enough of the they will do something.

Definitely do not do a bunny liberation at 2 am....as temmpting as that is, you'll only get yourself into legal trouble.

PRESS PRESS PRESS!!!!! Take the above-mentioned tips and get as MANY photos as you can. Record yourself talking to the guy at the register again and ask clearly about food, water, etc. You can have a friend surreptitiously video you with a camera phone. Then send it to every single possible news outlet you can find. And then send it again. And in your e-mail, explain that you've contacted Animal Control x number of times and they haven't done anything to help. Copy Animal Control on the e-mail and show them that you mean business! That will scare them straight I guarantee it.

Good luck.

haven711 wrote:
This is so sad to hear. Can we do this? You post their phone number, all of just call and ask nicely? Bunnies don't deserve this... :-(
No - we can NOT do that on this forum...sorry - we don't do phone numbers, etc. on the forum....

gmas rabbit wrote:
typed in rabbit rescue society for Tacoma, Wa and got the following. There are alot more:
Seattle Animal Shelter - 2061 15 Ave NW - 1 mile S of Ballard Bridge - Advertised as - bring your rabbit in for $20 or will arrange pickup - (206) 386- PETS (7387)
BaaHaus Animal Rescue - Vashon, Wa
Best Little Rabbit, Rodent and Ferret House, Seattle, Wa
King County Animal Sercies - Kent & Bellvue
PAWS ( Progressive Animal Welfare Society ) Lynnwood, Wa
Sara's Sanctuary, Redwood, Wa
Pet Guardian Angels of America ( don't know local listing )

Post the name of the store and some of us can start firing of emails to some of the societies. Maybe if they get enough of the they will do something.
If you decide to do this - let's do it this way.

Katie can say, "I have the name and information on the store and anyone who wants to help can contact me for it via private message".

That way - it sorta "protects" the forum from problems.....I doubt we'd get sued, etc - but our policy has pretty much been to not give "personal" information out on the forum....especially if the person we're giving the information on isn't a forum member having it done at their request.

i can't believe they said they can't put hay in the cage because its too messy... you'd think the humane society would get a little more involved but i guess they sit and wait for poor animals to come to them than seek them out.

I hope you have luck with something, you will definately have luck with the press. Send an email to a local newspaper with pictures.

i have No idea what i'd do if i saw that.. i'd be out to make sure they can never sell a rabbit again =(

The look in his eyes breaks my heart!!!

I would bug AC and the humane socity. Here the law is if the animals have no food, water or shelter the Alberta SPCA can seize them. Those 3 are needed for animals too live!! I hope those buns get out of there alive and safe!

Updates: so I think I have called every available phone number in the area. All I get are answering machines or endless ringing. I did talk to A.C again and they HAD NOT gone to the feed store. They say they are short staffed and have over 65 complaints :sigh:. They also said if we buy the rabbits that will close the case with no investigation. I guess its time to call the newspaper. On another not I found out that Avenue feed gets its rabbits by posing as a rabbit rescue that will "pick up" your unwanted rabbit and find it a good home!

That has to be illegal. Definately time to get the media involved. I would call every local media outlet- tv, print, radio... someone has to care!

Fraggles should give you extra kisses for trying to help :hug:

Latest posts

Back