Importing Belgian Hares

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadagirl

Reaction score
So...I have plans to drive down to the US and pick up three belgian hares as soon as I can (car issues at the moment). I already have a trio picked out and waiting for me. Its going to be a long drive (17 hours). I am a bit concerned about them, but less concerned than if they were going to fly here. At least they will be with me.

I have researched belgian hares, but I haven't really talked to many people that own one. Does anyone out there have any advice for me?

And I have read that rabbits don't need anything special to cross the boarder. Has anyone else taken rabbits across the canada/us border? How was the experience? DId you need anything? I am also paranoid that the border guards are going to think that because they are belgian 'hares' that they dont fall under the normal pet rabbit category. I obviously will call the border ahead of time to make sure...but I just want to get some info from some folks who may have done it before.

I am pretty excited about getting some Belgian Hares in Canada. I can't find any anywhere. I am starting to think there isn't any.

I don't think that it should be an issue to cross the border with them. I know lots of people who travel to shows in the states and don't have problems coming back. As long as the rabbits are healthy, it should be fine. You may have questions on if you bought them and have to pay a duty, but you could just say that you went to the show and took them down and are now coming home.
Pedigrees would be good to have to show they are domestic rabbits. I really doubt it would be an issue, but better safe than sorry.

One thing I would say is to make sure the carriers are big enough. Belgians may not weight a lot, but they take up a fair bit of space due to the body shape. I am not sure what size or type of carriers you have, but get ones that would be for a larger rabbit. As it is a long trip, you would want them be to able to move around a bit rather than just be stuck in one position the whole time. I would also take an x-pen or something so you can let them out at a hotel (if you are staying at one), bring something to cover the floor as well.

If you want to talk to someone who has some experience getting a Belgian hare to Canada, talk to Amanda (Kipcha on here). They got a Belgian in November.

It will be exciting to get more Belgian Hares in Canada. This would bring it up to 4 that I know of.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
I don't think that it should be an issue to cross the border with them. I know lots of people who travel to shows in the states and don't have problems coming back. As long as the rabbits are healthy, it should be fine. You may have questions on if you bought them and have to pay a duty, but you could just say that you went to the show and took them down and are now coming home.
Pedigrees would be good to have to show they are domestic rabbits. I really doubt it would be an issue, but better safe than sorry.

One thing I would say is to make sure the carriers are big enough. Belgians may not weight a lot, but they take up a fair bit of space due to the body shape. I am not sure what size or type of carriers you have, but get ones that would be for a larger rabbit. As it is a long trip, you would want them be to able to move around a bit rather than just be stuck in one position the whole time. I would also take an x-pen or something so you can let them out at a hotel (if you are staying at one), bring something to cover the floor as well.

If you want to talk to someone who has some experience getting a Belgian hare to Canada, talk to Amanda (Kipcha on here). They got a Belgian in November.

It will be exciting to get more Belgian Hares in Canada. This would bring it up to 4 that I know of.

Thank you. These ones are show quality and I DO plan to breed them and hopefully show them (shows around edmonton are the only ones I know of anywhere near me). I know breeding them can be difficult but I think I am up to the challenge.

My plan is to take down a station wagon type car and have large cages for the belgians to roam around in the back. I just need two as two are just little babies and one is an older doe. Have to wait till spring to try for babies.

I also want to try and get some more....maybe go to convention the end of Oct in Indiana?? If I have my way there should hopefully be many many belgians in Canada. IMO they are a breed that is too beautiful to be on the rare list.

If you do plan on going to the national convention, buy in advance. Belgians are fairly rare and many breeder don't take sale rabbits who have not been spoken for as they do have to enter them in the show and that is $15 a rabbit. Also keep in mind that convention does seem to inflate the price, so expect to spend more than you would otherwise. However, you may be able to get rabbits you would not otherwise as there are many breeders going from all over. I know that some some breeders (not necessarily Belgians though) are taking deposits and getting organized now.

I do agree that they are beautiful. They also seem to have good personalities, at least the one I know is nice.

I know how you feel about shows. There is one near Calgary in may and the rest are around Edmonton or Red Deer, so kind of hard to get to when you don't drive.

Belgians are great rabbits. We have one purebred (Peace) and one cross (Jabberwocky, a tan crossed with a Hare).

I'd be willing to answer any questions you have about the breed, they are such a great rabbit to get into! Are you getting your from Jeanne Walton as well?

Here's a pic of our boys!

Peace, our purebred.
156952_1812075662115_1246719002_32141732_7384169_n.jpg

Jabberwocky, the Tan x Belgian Hare
39442_1687040252333_1127468202_31825948_2847957_n.jpg

Kipcha wrote:
Belgians are great rabbits. We have one purebred (Peace) and one cross (Jabberwocky, a tan crossed with a Hare).

I'd be willing to answer any questions you have about the breed, they are such a great rabbit to get into! Are you getting your from Jeanne Walton as well?

Here's a pic of our boys!

Peace, our purebred.
156952_1812075662115_1246719002_32141732_7384169_n.jpg

Jabberwocky, the Tan x Belgian Hare
39442_1687040252333_1127468202_31825948_2847957_n.jpg

Thanks! I am getting mine from a guy in South Dakota that just started breeding and showing them. He only had does for sale so he found me a buck from some breeder and I *think* he said she was in Pennsylvania but I could be wrong.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
I know how you feel about shows. There is one near Calgary in may and the rest are around Edmonton or Red Deer, so kind of hard to get to when you don't drive.

Our next show is October 1 & 2 in St. Albert (Edmonton).

Pet_Bunny wrote:
Korr_and_Sophie wrote:

Our next show is October 1 & 2 in St. Albert (Edmonton).
We have a hopping event in Lethbridge on the 1st though.

There is a lady in Michigan who has a lot of them. She currently had some for sale. I wasn't sure which states you were north of.

I just transported a bunch of buns to NY. It was about a 14 hour trip each way, and the rabbits did really well. Enjoy them in the car more then a dog =p

Back