I'm such a bad mama, guys...Hobbes still not well

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Hi guys...

I feel so horrible...I just posted yesterday how Hobbes was crying that the litterbox wasn't clean, so we cleaned it...and it turns out that he's got some sort of digestive health issue going on. His rear end is all red and sore looking, and got stuff around it (different than just having "leftovers" if you catch my drift), and he's now as of last night crying when he leaves the litterbox, and comes over and cries to me to let me know he's not feeling good.

So, I've got both him AND Sunny scheduled to be seen by the vet on Monday...him for that, and Sunny for those bumps on her neck (we had planned to wait until after we move, since it wasn't an emergency thing with her bumps)...but Mama's scared, guys. I really don't know what's wrong with him.

Add to that the stupidity of us never getting them their vaccinations (we thought that since they were strictly indoors, and never around any other cats PERIOD, that they didn't need them, and recently learned otherwise), so I'm worried that it may be something that we could've prevented had we been more informed.

I honestly thought that was the case...that they weren't needed...as my mother never got our kitties their shots, so I thought that was right. Stupid me...TOTALLY WRONG.

I'm so upset and worried...he's still eating and drinking, just visiting the litterbox more often for both pee and poop...and his poor little back side really doesn't look happy (you know where I mean, right?).

I feel like such a horrible, awful Mommy...I swore to take care of them and protect them when they came into my house, and made such an awful decision in not getting them vaccinations. I don't know if times have changed as far as having to get ALL cats vaccinated, or if my mother was just not-so-smart in not doing it for our kitties.

Please pray that they're okay, and that he just ate something that didn't agree with his system, or something silly like that (he's silly like that...kinda like babies that'll find the ONE thing on the floor that you missed in sweeping).

Hugs,

Rosie BadMommy :(

Don't beat yourself up hon. I do not vaccinate my cats past the kitten ones. This was a mutual decision made with our vet. My cats do not go outside and they are never around other cats. They do get regular check-ups. It was just decided that was not a necessary thing with them. There are many people who adhere to this with cats. And while I know there are many who do not agree with it sometimes you have to make decisions as to what is best for you and your family of animals.

First of all...YOU ARE NOT A BAD MOMMY!!!!

You didn't know. A bad mommy is someone who knows and goes out of their way to ignore it. You're always doing your best Rosie and I know you love your animals so don't say that. Hobbes probably got into something that was a nono for cats and now he has to pay for his sillyness :pHe'll never do that again.

Thanks, guys...I do feel really horrible, though. Also feel horrible for getting mad at him for peeing in the hay (which we've obviously replaced now, lol), when he just wasn't feeling good.

My poor kitties...

One good thing about kitties...they sure do hang in there. They're little toughies! :)

I feel so awful, though...Hobbes woke me up this morning, standing on my chest, crying in my face...telling me he just wasn't feeling good, "Can I go to the dr, Mommy? I's not feelin' good..."

My poor sweet baby...they're both gonna get some extra love from Mama...:(

I know you feel bad, but have you done everything you can with the knowledge you have? Yes. Have you kept learning?Yes. Are you doing something about the problem? Yes. So you are doing, and have done all you can. Sometimes these things happen, and it's not your fault, all you can do is learn from it and move forward, which you will do, because you are a great mama.

Let us know how they get on at the vets :)

Thank you, Flashy...that helps so much...

True...I know I do all I can for my babies...I should really just relax...but I just cry when my babies don't feel good. For instance, when we had Fiver at the vet, and they took him out of the room to check his nail closer up and maybe try to get it to come off, I just cried and cried...Danny hugged me the whole time, until they came back, and I had tissue in-hand. The vet understood, though...:)

I'll do the same on the way home with the kitties...we've had them since a VERY young age. We had to nurse them as babies, because their mama wouldn't. And we had to take them in at about a month old, as their mama's owner was already introducing them to solid (read: crunchy) food, and it would've been a BAD thing for them to stay there. They're going to be three years of age in April (the 30th), so we've had them all their lives, pretty much.

And they know they're my babies, too. Hobbes lays on me every night, and Sunny lays on me (up to my face, sometimes) when I'm hangin out on the couch. They're totally Mama's Babies, and they know it. :)

So, when my babies are sick, I kick myself from here to the ends of the earth...they rely on me (and their Daddy, obviously) for EVERYTHING...their whole lives depend on OUR choices...how long they live even depends on us and what we decide for them. So, when they get sick, I try to find how I could've prevented it. And when I don't know what's wrong, all I can do is wait to see...and wonder until then.

I hate waiting until Monday for this...but unfortunately, they aren't open tomorrow...so I have a whole weekend of continuing to put the new babies' cages together, AND taking special care of my kitties.

Pray for us, guys...for the kitties and me to all have strength...and for them and their health issues...

*hugs* i know what you mean, all parents and pet owners do. but sometimes things happen that can't have been prevented, sometimes you can do anything and everything and still lose someone, but that doesn't make it your fault, it makes it tragic circumstances.

If someone loses a kid to cancer or something, that doesn't make it the parents fault, it makes it a tragedy. Try to remind yourself of those kind of things.

You know where I am if you need a chat.

Does Hobbes have poopy butt or is there something else going on?

Could he have urinary problems? Tank did that sitting in the box and crying and peeing on things when he started having cystitis.

Straining to pee in cats is an emergency so keep an eye on him to differentiate between that and being constipated. :hug:Hope Hobbes feels better soon.

Exactly. Sometimes they only need to get help to pass what is in their system - the sludge or even little crystals...... but other times they need surgery.

I've been down both roads...

Aww, I'm sure he'll be fine.

I only Vaccinate my cats if they are under 4 months and Over 10 years.
I've had problems in the past with my cats between those ages getting really sick or something happening to them. Just as with getting them Rabies shots, I Never get them their Rabies shots. For some reason they always die. *from the same day to a up to a month later*

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Does Hobbes have poopy butt or is there something else going on?

Could he have urinary problems? Tank did that sitting in the box and crying and peeing on things when he started having cystitis.
Here's all the data:

1. His symptoms just showed up yesterday, so it's been caught as soon as possible.

2. I've been watching him, and he doesn't appear to be straining to pee, but has (as of last night) started visiting the box often, and has started peeing other places in addition to in the box, so definitely something urinary going on as well...

3. He also has a red, irritated bum-hole, and it also appears dirty around the outside edge (even with my cleaning it yesterday...sorry to be so graphic)...so I'm thinking there's something possibly parasitic going on. His poops are softer than usual, but he doesn't have diarrhea or poopy butt issues...and his poop isn't a different color, and isn't stinkier than usual...so it doesn't appear to be roundworm, as he's also eating his normal amount (which isn't more than normal, and his poop amount matches his consumption level). I definitely know it isn't tapeworm, either...as I've had enough cats when I was younger that had it to know the signs.

We're going to keep him nice and hydrated this weekend, and I'm also going to do more research online about various things to see what we can do to keep him as comfortable as possible (as he's also just this afternoon started to lay down carefully, as if his bum-hole is uncomfortable).

The soonest I can get him in is Monday, so we're doing the best we can with this. I know it's a bit of an emergency type situation, thus why he's going in on Monday. I would've taken him in tomorrow, but the vet isn't in that day, so that wasn't an option.

One thing to note: cats are MUCH more hearty than buns. Him having a urinary problem that JUST presented a day ago does not mean I need to take him to an emergency vet...but it does mean extra care over the weekend. I'm going to do research about what I can do, as in keeping him hydrated, trying to keep him comfortable, etc. It may mean applying something topical to his bum...I've called the vet here and left a message (they're going to call me back) to see what they recommend as far as his care over the weekend...what I can do to help him out, etc.

I have a feeling that Sunny's neck bumps and his bum problem are related, just that it manifested differently in each kitty.

Keep them in your prayers, guys! The one good thing in all this...I've had MANY cats (over 20), and have had cats for seventeen years now...so they're in the hands of someone who understands them quite well. I'm not worried about having to wait until Monday for their vet visit.

I just want them healthy again, and happy. They're both playing and eating and drinking...so that shows me that it's nothing that could be life-threatening having to wait during the weekend (and if either of them start to be lethargic, I have two emergency vets near me, so we'll take them in). I also know that my Hobbes is quite the whiner, so it could be much smaller a thing than he's presenting, lol.

BUT...I always treat things with them as dire as they themselves present the problem to be, even if he's being whiny about it. Lol.

Hugs!

Rosie*

Edited to add: Hobbes isn't having any bladder sludge either...just having trouble holding it.

Wasn't meant to offend :?

A urinary infection and a urinary blockage are two different things. Was just saying to make sure it wasn't a bloackage. Sorry.

Just got off the phone with the vet to see if there's anything I can do to make him a bit more comfortable over the weekend...

She said (and my research thus far also said) that it sounds as if he has both a urinary issue AND a need to have his anal glands expressed. She said to keep an eye on him and make sure he's outputting into the litterbox, and that if he stops to take him in to an emergency vet.

Right now, I KNOW he's urinating...he just urinated on his favorite blanket a half-hour ago...poor guy. I know he didn't want to, he's just having a hard time holding it. He also tried to urinate in the bin I have on top of the hay (to block him from going IN the hay). So, I estimate he's got a bladder infection going on...pray that it doesn't progress over the weekend.

As far as his anal glands, I asked her if there was anything topical I could put on his bum to help with the irritation, but she said that there's really nothing that would help if it's an anal gland issue.

C'mon Hobbes...keep "goin" for Mama for the weekend, Buddy...

Glad it's not seeming like sludge/cystitis. Sounds like maybe some sort of virus or something.

Keep us posted :)

UPDATE: I called the emergency 24hr place near us, and learned that it's only $85 for an exam if we are a walk-in...so we're going to take him right when Danny gets home. I don't want to wait any longer than necessary with the urinary issues. We'll also ask them to express his anal glands (poor guy), and that's about $22...so not bad, for an emergency vet.

So...be praying, guys...

No way are you a bad mama. No wait! Yes, you are a bad mama and I need to immediately come and take custody of your cats! How's that? Just kidding 'cause I covet your babies. You are an excellent kitty mama.

Sounds like a lower urinary tract problem. If you're headed for the vet, you should be finding out soon. One thing to check with the vet and possibly your regular vet is teeth. As odd as it sounds, one of our cats had repeat bladder infections until we got him a dental. He had tarter build up and some problems under the gum line. Some of the newer xray equipment can pick up on dental problems below the gum line. Just something to keep in mind.

Hope your baby is better soon.

Well, guys...back from the vet...

And SeniorCats, you are exactly right...he has a lower urinary tract problem. They're keeping him until they can get a good urine sample from him (they said they couldn't use the urine the poor guy expressed in the carrier...I asked, so he could come home...never know, right?)...and then he can come home. It might just be a couple hours, or it could be overnight (though I doubt it). They're also giving him sub-q fluids, and though I could've done it myself, I thought it less stressful for them to just do it while they have him there.

Poor Sunny DEMANDED to know where her brother was...she's looking at us like, "Um...did you forget something?!?!" She keeps looking at us like we misplaced him or left him in the car...and is SCOLDING me for it. Poor girl...I did let her know that he'll be home soon, and that seemed to calm her down. I'm also going to go sit with her until he comes home...and that'll help A LOT.

The vet said we caught it really early...he's still urinating, so that's a plus. Now, with a lower urinary tract problem, it could either be an actual infection (though she said that at least 90% of the time, it's not), or it could be bladder stones, or it could be blockage (it's not that, since he was still urinating fine), or it could be other urinary issues. The best thing (from what I picked up) would actually be if he had an infection, so it could be cleared up with antibiotics. But she did say that it could be something he has issues with off and on all his life (though that's not at all a certain thing). She said that it could just be something that, in the future, might get triggered by stressful things. She listed things like moving, a change in the furniture layout, new people moving in with us or moving out, new animals coming or going, basically just changes...and given that we're about to bring in three new animals, I'll have to watch him to be sure he's okay. I'll have to do the same thing when we move and Aaron (a friend) comes to live with us at the same time.

But, it could be a one-time-only issue...and that's what I'm hoping and praying for.

So, pray for three things for my boy, if you could:

1. He expresses a good urine sample SOON, so he can come home,

2. That he has an actual infection, so it can get cleared up with antibiotics,

and 3. That it isn't a chronic condition with him, but a one time thing.

I had the hardest time leaving him there...the last time I had to leave a kitty at the vet's, it was my heart kitty, KeyKat, and she never made it back home...but passed at the vet's office. So, seeing him all sad that I was walking away...and seeing Sunny when we got home...boy, this is hard. Pray that my baby boy is okay, guys...

Will pray for all 3 things and for his quick return. It's so much easier for the vet to get a urine sample then to try it at home. If you ever need to get a sample at home, try putting clean aquarium gravel in a litter box. When they urinate in it, the gravel won't soak it up so you can drain off a sample. Some cats may not use the gravel so a vet visit is a must. I bet the sub-q fluids do him a world of good. :pray:

here is a more recent article from Ohio State that may be useful. It's kinda' long but everything is covered.

http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/assets/pdf/hospital/indoorcat/hostutler05.pdf

Latest posts

Back