I'm starting breeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow! It sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders. I'm so happy you'll be starting off your breeding program with some quality stock!

I recommend picking up a few books on rabbits ranging from the basics to medical knowledge. My rabbit veterinary textbooks have really helped in the past and they'll earn themselves back a dozen times over.

If you're looking at where to start you should research rabbit color genetics too(their are dozens of sources on the internet). It's likely that, as pure breed rabbits are as hard to come by in your area as you say they are, you'll probably not have you pick of color, however it still helps to know what colors are compatible with each other.

Good luck!

look at it this way...someone has to breed the bunnies.....so that people like ME can buy one!!!! and you're doing your research and being responsible so....good for you!!!! happy breeding!!

Cool, I'm glad you posted this thread. Planning ahead is a good idea! You do the irish breeders proud!!!!!

I would suggest talking to Polly. She breeds lionheads and is from Scotland so will have good lionhead contacts. She's a bit busy at the mo though so if you PM her and she doesn't reply straight away give her some time and she will :)

I would suggest always trying to see peoples rabbitries if possible because you can then tell what sort of conditions they keep their buns in and also how their buns are (i.e. interested, hiding at the back, etc). Also, new breeders often get taken advantage of so be aware of that too.

ok ill have a look on ebay for some books. ill pm tinysmom and polly when i get some time. i have tests all this week so ill do it this weekend. i have looked at quite a few rabbitries on breeders sites and youtube, haha i have the layout of the shed all planned out in my head!

Flashy wrote:
I would suggest always trying to see peoples rabbitries if possible because you can then tell what sort of conditions they keep their buns in and also how their buns are (i.e. interested, hiding at the back, etc). Also, new breeders often get taken advantage of so be aware of that too.

I just wanted to clarify that I said that ^ In response to where you said
Also what should I ask breeders to make sure if they know what they are doing and if the animals are in good health? (without sounding rude).

I good, cleanrabbitry will show they know what they are doing, and that they care for their buns.

:) That's all I meant.

It's ace you have your rabbitry planned in your head though. I'd love to see the making of whatever you end up with. Sort of like a work in progress account like Polly did :D

Wow - I LOVE your building - what a nice choice. Congrats on the decision to go into breeding and all of the preplanning and work you're putting into it.

I bred lionheads for about 3 years - had over 75 litters - and look back on it with lots of fondness - but lots of heartache too. I got out because it was just too depressing to put up with losing babies (sometimes whole litters) and having issues with mamas. From what I've read in some of your posts - I maybe you can handle those losses better than I could - I get too emotionally involved and let my emotions run my life sometimes.

Here are some tips I have for you....and feel free to ask any questions you might have.

• Whether you're breeding for show - or just for pets - I would buy the absolutely BEST buck you can find. Why? Because you may start out breeding for pets- but if you have nice rabbits - you may have other breeders eventually start coming to you for rabbits and if you have a good buck..you'll have better rabbits.
    • Look at it this way - a doe's attributes/genetics affect her litters - but your buck's genetics will affect EVERY litter he fathers...and many breeders can only start out with one buck - so you want to have the best genes going into every litter.
  • Some breeders here in the states use single mane rabbits in their breedings - and I wouldn't discount using them. The theory behind it is - the single mane rabbits (that keep their manes) will often have the longer manes that are ... well..hard to describe - but longer. Sometimes the double manes have gorgeous manes - but they stay short. At least two different breeders I knew of - bred a single mane lionhead with a double mane every third generation - to bring the length back to the mane. Did it work? Well...they were winning on the show tables while they were still breeding...so I tend to think it might work.
  • I would breed two or more does on the same day or one day apart. Don't do single breedings - because that way you have no "backup" doe to be a foster. If I had to do it over again - I would breed at least one experienced doe for every inexperienced doe I was breeding per cycle....this way I would know I had a good mom in case I needed her to foster. I might even breed two experienced does to one inexperienced so that one mama wouldn't get overwhelmed with too many babies.
  • I've had lionheads have anywhere from 1-10 kits. I found some does consistently had 6-8 and others always had maybe 2-3. But don't count on it - Sundae's first litter here was 3...her second was 5 and her third was 9. Her fourth? She had 5 again.
  • Before you breed - I would have at least enough money in the bank for the following things:
    • One month's food bill (what if your food got contaminated and you had to buy another bunch of food? Best to have the money to be able to afford it)
    • At least one emergency spay in case a doe has issues
  • Make sure that your rabbitry has SAFE heating and cooling equipment. I have heard of at least five rabbitry fires in the last four years - just in the lionhead world over here. So make sure your equpment is new and has good wires and your wiring in the building is up to par.
That's all I can think of right offhand.....other than the color genetics. If you need help with that - there are plenty of folks here who can help....I love the topic.

Have you decided yet what colors you want to work with?

Flashy wrote:
Flashy wrote:

I just wanted to clarify that I said that ^ In response to where you said
Also what should I ask breeders to make sure if they know what they are doing and if the animals are in good health? (without sounding rude).

I good, cleanrabbitry will show they know what they are doing, and that they care for their buns.

:) That's all I meant.

It's ace you have your rabbitry planned in your head though. I'd love to see the making of whatever you end up with. Sort of like a work in progress account like Polly did :D

Oh oops sorry, I get it now!:)Thanks for that. Well since I'm only getting two bunnies, I will be makingenclsures that are5'x2' for each bun, my existing bunnies will have 10'x2'. Then I will have the cages they have now for kits. I'll have the new enclosures in a way that It will be easy to take down and rearrange incase I get more buns. I'll, well my dad lol, will be putting up shelves. After that we'll see what else we can do :)

Thanks Tinysmom, lot's of info there! I had a look at the lionheads in your blog too lol :)I haven't decided on colours yet, I'm more concerned with finding good breeders first :)

That's great Irish-sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this. The shed is fabulous-wish my bunnies had a nice fully enclosed shed like that!

minirexmama wrote:
That's great Irish-sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this. The shed is fabulous-wish my bunnies had a nice fully enclosed shed like that!
Ya it's grand like, not too expensive it's 495 Euro. I have alot to buy for the inside too though.

irishbunny wrote:
minirexmama wrote:
Ya it's grand like, not too expensive it's 495 Euro. I have alot to buy for the inside too though.
So about $650 dollars-good deal! I have to buy a lot of cages, feeder and waterers soon-it can add up!

ya, I'm just getting two more bunnies though for the moment so it shouldn't be too expensive for the mo.

irishbunny wrote:
Thanks Tinysmom, lot's of info there! I had a look at the lionheads in your blog too lol :)I haven't decided on colours yet, I'm more concerned with finding good breeders first :)
That right there makes me have so much faith that you are thinking this through.

JadeIcing wrote:
irishbunny wrote:
That right there makes me have so much faith that you are thinking this through.

ya I have to say I really have thought it through, especially at night when I'm in bed I just plan in my head :)

Looking at young babies can only give you an indicator of what the adult will look like (until you really know what you are looking for and at) but it might help to see the parents to see how they have ended up (i.e. have they kept their manes, are the typey, etc, size).

The ones with the white are knows as butterflies over in the UK, not sure about where you are though. The one that you identified is probably a blue butterfly, although could be something else when see in person.

Flashy wrote:
Looking at young babies can only give you an indicator of what the adult will look like (until you really know what you are looking for and at) but it might help to see the parents to see how they have ended up (i.e. have they kept their manes, are the typey, etc, size).

The ones with the white are knows as butterflies over in the UK, not sure about where you are though. The one that you identified is probably a blue butterfly, although could be something else when see in person.
Ya I defo won't be going by pictures, I'll want to see the breeders premises, all their bunnies and of course the parents of the rabbit I'm buying. I just want to learn to see what a good lionhead is now so I'll have some idea when I get to the buying stage :)

Latest posts

Back