I'm starting breeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbunny

Reaction score
Hey I'm starting breeding on a small scale, my dad is buying me a 10'x8' shed and I'm thinking I'll start out with Lionheads. I'm getting Thumper neuteured in January out of my guinea pig babysitting money so him and Princess can live together. I'm currently looking up decent lionhead breeders, I'm looking for double-maned. Even though I might not have it till the summer, any tips on starting is appreciated. I wouldn't mind a name either to put on a plaque on the door :)

This is the shed

shed_classic_10x81.jpg

Ooh, go you, and very well done for wanting to do it responsibly.

I would suggest finding a breeder and asking them to mentor you so that you know what to look for, what complications can arise, etc. That's how starting breeders get to be incredibly good :) Also make sure you have a lot of finances behind you (or that your parents are willing to pay if necessary).

Flashy wrote:
Ooh, go you, and very well done for wanting to do it responsibly.

I would suggest finding a breeder and asking them to mentor you so that you know what to look for, what complications can arise, etc. That's how starting breeders get to be incredibly good :) Also make sure you have a lot of finances behind you (or that your parents are willing to pay if necessary).
Thank you (I was getting ready for attacks lol) my friends mother is a nethie breeder and I help out there alot. So I have a good idea of things that can go wrong (and will continue learning and working with her). I feel I'm prepared to go with the highs and lows of breeding, I know it's not always going to be fluffy bunnies living happily ever after :)

That's good you are prepared (I had a feeling from your previous posts you would be though).

Nethie breeding is different from Lionhead breeding though, obviously some parts are similar, but I remember Polly having different problems with her lionheads than her nethies (mainly teeth I think, but obviously with lionheads you have coat and such to think about too).

Personally I have absolutely nothing about breeding if it is done by a responsiblepersonin a responsible way, and that's what it sounds like you are going to do, and I think far too many people are irresponsible and you should be commended for being responsible about it.

Best of luck. My cousin knows someone who used to breed lionheads. Is there anything you would like me to find out?

Flashy wrote:
That's good you are prepared (I had a feeling from your previous posts you would be though).

Nethie breeding is different from Lionhead breeding though, obviously some parts are similar, but I remember Polly having different problems with her lionheads than her nethies (mainly teeth I think, but obviously with lionheads you have coat and such to think about too).

Personally I have absolutely nothing about breeding if it is done by a responsiblepersonin a responsible way, and that's what it sounds like you are going to do, and I think far too many people are irresponsible and you should be commended for being responsible about it.

Phew, I'm happy I sound responsible! I was scared I sounded like an idiot who knew nothing! :DOh yes I realise they are a different breed so come with their own problems, but I have the basic problems covered, plus hours of research and reading rabbitry websites.

Paul- No thanks, think I got it covered;)

I have read a lot by you recently on different threads (not in a stalkerish way, just in that we respond to a lot of the same threads, lol), and you come across, to me, as very switched on, which I think is great :)

You'll have to keep us updated with your stock and lots of pictures :D

Flashy wrote:
I have read a lot by you recently on different threads (not in a stalkerish way, just in that we respond to a lot of the same threads, lol), and you come across, to me, as very switched on, which I think is great :)

You'll have to keep us updated with your stock and lots of pictures :D
Oh good! I was kind of debating whether or not to start this thread I was scared that people would think I was just someone who wanted to pop out babies and wasn't thinking of their welfare. Ya of course lot's of pics! I'm only getting two rabbits to start off with. I'm taking into account that she might abandon her babies so she'll be breedthe same time asmy friends nethie.

irishbunny wrote:
I'm only getting two rabbits to start off with. I'm taking into account that she might abandon her babies so she'll be breedthe same time asmy friends nethie.
I think it's excellent to start off small. And to have someone local to mentor you (and breed at the same time as you!) is great. Good planning. :biggrin2:

If anyone has good info please share, I don't think I have any questions at the moment, which I hope means I have the mains covered!

you sound like someone with their head screwed on, you've gained experience and have knoledge on breeding all i can say is good luck :Di look forward to seeing your stock and babies will you be showing aswell?

Just saw your post bluegiants. Ya I didn't think getting lot's of rabbits was a good idea, since it could turn out breeding isn't my thing, I could get them fixed and have pets. But from being with my nighbour I love it and spend alot of time helping out with her rabbits.

W5Skittles wrote:
you sound like someone with their head screwed on, you've gained experience and have knoledge on breeding all i can say is good luck :Di look forward to seeing your stock and babies will you be showing aswell?
I will not be showing as we don't have shows here, you never know! I might set up the IRBA :D

Good start, it seems you've got all areas covered. I think one really important point is you have to have money to breed properly. It is a very expensive hobby, my rabbits easily cost me £100 a month when I had around 30 and that is without vets bills, so you have to be prepared to fork out a lot for them and don't underestimate the costs. Be well prepared and you won't have any nasty shocks! Also go to shows and see if you can find a breeder near you who can help mentor you. It's always good to have someone there to support you.

Good luck! :)

The more you post, the more you show how aware you are. I think you're going to do great. I wish more people did this responsibly if they feel it is something they want/have to do.

Thanks everyone, it's good that I'll have support and help if needed here, I'm delighted I'm getting this shed I'm so thankful to my dad :)

More info is appreciated, practically on lionhead breeding, also if I go to see some lionheads, what kind of things should I be looking out for to help ensure healthy and nice babies? I know to ask about genes, colours,history etc.Even though I might not be getting them for months yet, want to start looking now. :)Also anyone have any cute names for my ''rabbitry'', if you could even call it one. :)

Also what should I ask breeders to make sure if they know what they are doing and if the animals are in good health? (without sounding rude).

Latest posts

Back