I'm so upset :-(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZminilops

Reaction score
A bunny I was baby sitting a few weeks ago has been let go in the countryside by the parents of her owner, so they could use her hutch for a guinea pig! :grumpy: I told them I'd happily take her and at least get her spayed and find an awesome home for her, but they emailed me AFTER they let her free. They could at the very least have taken her to the SPCA! :( I'm so upset.

Lucy when she was at our house:

P1000870.jpg

P1000874.jpg

I just don't get how people could let such a pretty little animal just go free :(. She had some behavioural and trust/aggression issues but nothing that couldn't have been reversed with time and care, both of which I offered.

She'll most likely get pregnant to wild bunnies now, we have the european wild bunny in NZ and they happily mate with domestic rabbits, then she'll catch some desease and die I suppose :(.

If I knew exactly where they let her go I could borrow a cat trap from the SPCA and try and trap her with food somehow, they are being so stubborn though and convinced Lucy will be happier free.

GRRRR! :grumpy: I should never have given her back, I feel so stupid!

Michelle

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard, Michelle. What idiots!

Don't beat yourself up. You couldn't have possibly known that these fools would actually let her "go free!" Poor little Lucy...

I hope she manages for a while, but keep on those jerks to find out where they released her.I really hope someone can catch her. That is so frustrating!
Hugs to you:hug:, and Prayers for Lucy... Keep your fingers crossed; miracles can happen...

That's so sad! I would go out and try to find her if I were you, if you know where they let her go. You don't have to listen to what they say if they're trying to tell you not to try to find her because they think she's happier outside, if they wanted a say in her future they shouldn't have just dumped her outside.

Becca wrote:
Don't blame yourself, its their stupid fault!

GRRR :grumpy: Poor bunny :(

How long will she survive out there?
If they left her in the woods...not long, especially since she is light-colored. :(I don't know what the wild life is like over there, but around here...

I can't belive people do stuff like that. Even after you offered!!! I've been thinking about starting to bunny sit for people as a buisness.... I don;t know if I want to be in a situation like that though. I hope that someon e finds here. I feel so sad with an image of her being eaten:(

Aly!:(

She's been let out around some farms, it's pretty rural about 15 minutes from where I live, lots of farms etc.

The worst animals we would have that would eat or kill rabbits would be cats, dogs or ferrets/stoats, or possibly a large hawk or owl. I think a bird would spot her pretty easily too, the way she is coloured :(. She's quite small, about 3-4 pounds, I would think a hawk could grab her pretty easily.

They let her go from around the feed store so I've called and asked the guy who works there to keep out an eye, and I'm going to borrow a trap from the SPCA later on, I have to wait for Mathew to get home from work as he's got my car and I can't drive his one, nor does my license allow for it (it's a manual gearbox, plus I can't reach the peddles).

I'm still so annoyed at myself for not hanging on to her, I knew that the kid who owns her wanted to swap her for a guinea pig, but I thought I had the kid and parents pretty clued up now on how to make Lucy a better pet and to become more involved in her life :grumpy:. They promised to contact me before they did anything like this.

:?

Oh wow, how horrible.

Michelle, if you can get a live trap or two, try putting some very strong smelling fruits like bananas and strawberries in it. Also, get as much bunny poop as you can get from your buns (save their used litter) and dump it all around the area- this will draw other bunnies in when they smell the scent. Ive done this twice to catch bunnies and been successful. If shes close enough to smell the bunny poop she will come.

Good luck, how sad :(

Haley

PS. I would also print out fliers and pass them around to people in the area (if there are any) that way they can call you if they see her. Dont give up- Mr. Tumnus survived for over a month in the wild- and we have plenty of coyotes and foxes around this area.

Thanks so much for the help and advice :hug:, some awesome ideas and I've made a list of what to do. Mat should be home in around 5-6 hours, wish the time would hurry up!

Here's a pic from google earth, I'm where it says Manurewa South, and she's out in the middle of all those farms to the right of the pic:

NewBitmapImageSmall.jpg

She's pretty skittish, I will admit I don't have much hope of grabbing her, but I will try my best. She could have run miles since yesterday :dunno?

I'm supposed to be going with my grandma to visit my great grandma in the hospital soonish so I'll go to her house and print some fliers as I don't have a printer.

Wish me and Lucy luck! People are just so stupid!

:rant:

wow, I can really see why you're so upset. I like Haley's suggestion on attempting to capture her. And I agree...don't give up yet. How long has she been free? Several years ago my sister and bil discovered two domesticated rabbits that had been dumped out in the middle of nowhere, who knows how long they'd been running around like that. But they managed to catch one of them without the aid of a trap or anything...so you never know, you might just be able to find her yet.

Sending out prayers for her safe return. :pray:

P.S. I just read your last post and wanted to add, I'm not sure about this but I do suspect that rabbits who are dumped don't tend to wander all that far. They seem to stay within one area, at least as far as I can tell...

I've read this thread several times now and it just makes me cry. I almost can't post here because I just can't bear to think of that poor beautiful bunny all alone out there....
:bigtears:

I hate people sometimes. I really, really do. If I were you I would have such a hard time not going round there and kicking off big time :X

I really hope you can find her. Good luck!

Omg this is frustrating! Poor Girl. :tears2: How can people do that?! Do they not see the danger in this?! I don't get it! UGH! Some people! :disgust::grumpy:
I hope you find her. I wish you the best of luck! :hug:

Oh wow, thats a big area! Can you or Mat call the people and tell them its killing you and you will be going to look for her regardless, but that they can save you a lot of time and energy if they will just point you in the right direction?

Ive found that bunnies who are set free will generally stay put for the most part. Mr. Tumnus was living right across the street from where he was released. So if they will tell you where they released her you have a good chance of finding her in that area.

Also, did they ever give her craisins? Try krinkling a plastic bag or shaking a bottle to see if she comes for treats.

That is so sad :(good luck Michelle I hope you can get her. I hope you had a few choice words for the people who did it! I know I would have dont feel bad though you couldnt know they woud do that :hug:

I know the general area now, so that's great to know that they don't really wander :). I was just picturing her after more than a year living in her 1x3 foot hutch, that she'd be so excited to be let free that she'd just zoom off into the horizen. When she was staying here she spent the week in my outdoor hutch which is about 6x6 foot square (didn't want her in the house mingling with my rabbits, I'm paranoid about mites, fleas desease etc right now) and she just loved it! Never seen so many binkies.

As far as I know, the only treat food she's eaten is a carrot chucked into her hutch every now and then, or an apple, things like that, so I will try them with the live trap. Craisens aren't really a big thing here, they cost so much just for a teeny bag so most people wouldn't bother to spend $5 on their bunny just for a handful of dried fruit.

She would have been free now for about 24 hours, I'm just crossing all my fingers and toes hoping she hasn't been impregnanted by a wild bunny, there are litterally hundreds out that way.

Rabbits who are released are generally pretty confused and dont like to run off. They might find some area that seems safe to hide under. If she did run it wouldnt be very far until she stopped in an area that she thought would provide some cover like low bushes or trees with low branches. Sometimes they will hide under decks too. Generally they are so frightened by the new sounds and smells they wont go far. The only way I can see her running off is if she was being chased by something and then, with no shelter to run to, the chances of her making it would be slim.

Poor baby :(

I too fear for the guinea pig when the kids get bored. Some people just irratate the heck out of me,to me it was just pure laziness on thier part. There are humane societies and you offered so thier was no reason for them to be as cold the way they were and just let the rabbit go.

Oh my! I hope you can find her! I can't imagine why anyone would think that it'd be ok to just let a rabbit "go free"!! People really just don't think I guess.

I too worry what will become of the guinea pig once the kids tires of it. :( And to think these are the PARENTS doing this...what kind of morals are they teaching that child??? Ugh. I mean come on..my kids are tired of their hamsters...so what..it's not like I'm just gonna let them go, my husband and I just inherited hamsters as our "office buddies" since we work at home LOL. And we still have the kids come in and feed and water them because they are their responsibility, they're going to need to take care of them until they pass.

Some people just get on my nerves...

Latest posts

Back