I'm so upset :-(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG, poor little girl! people can be so dumb some times!

i hope you can find/catch her:clover:

Unfortunately there are still a great many people who view pets as disposable items, the same as inanimate objects. :( Imagine what the world would be like if everyone realized that animals do have feelings, do feel pain and hunger and loneliness.

Until then, I guess that's why there are people like Michelle...to help make up for those who just don't understand.

Oh my gosh. That's awful! Talk about selfish people! Poor bunny. I really hope she has found her way to a nice, loving family, who will maybe put up found posters.

Poor girl. Why didn't they just wait for you to come get her? Gosh that is just awful. Are you going to go look for her at all? Maybe she'd come to your voice or something? How does her owner feel about it - was she a child?

Emily

Haley wrote:
Rabbits who are released are generally pretty confused and dont like to run off. They might find some area that seems safe to hide under. If she did run it wouldnt be very far until she stopped in an area that she thought would provide some cover like low bushes or trees with low branches. Sometimes they will hide under decks too. Generally they are so frightened by the new sounds and smells they wont go far. The only way I can see her running off is if she was being chased by something and then, with no shelter to run to, the chances of her making it would be slim.

Poor baby :(

True. And they also will not go far. They will most likely stay within 300 feet of their "burrow", unless frightened to the point where they must escape farther. ;)

It would be a good idea to look within a 300-foot radius of the premesis (sp?) where she was last seen, or whatever. Ask the parents (even though you're angry with them) which direction she went, etc. When and if you find her, can the parents get in any punishment? Shoot, if I was an animal cop/judge on this case, they'd both get a hefty fine!!!

ETA: Domestic rabbits can't get pregnant by wild rabbits. They are from the same family, etc. and related, but I think...(dont count me on this...but I think) they are different species. All I know is that they cannot breed with one another ;)

Emily

I always see stray rabbits in mobile home parks. It makes me want to try and catch them but it seems like they do fine, surprisingly.:?It's so sad to see the pictures of her and think how scared and alone she is feeling. Why the hell couldn't they just take her to the shelter? Which would have been worse enough for her, but at least she would have some sense of familiarity and comfort. :cry2

That's just awful :tears2:I hope it's not too late and you can find her and take her home. She's real pretty too. Stupid people don't deserve to own pets. :cry4:

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
ETA: Domestic rabbits can't get pregnant by wild rabbits. They are from the same family, etc. and related, but I think...(dont count me on this...but I think) they are different species. All I know is that they cannot breed with one another ;)

Emily
Michelle explained further up that they have European wild rabbits in New Zealand, which can mate with domestic bunnies :?

Any sight of her yet? I know the chances are slim but I'm holding out some hope that she can be found... :(

Michelle, I simply hate people sometimes! (most times with most people!) How stupid can they be?

NZminilops wrote:
The nice guy at a feed store said the trap is still empty, but I'll check later on myself. I hope she is ok :?.

I'm assuming that you've put some food and water in the trap. ;)

Another thing that might attract her would be to put a healthy sprinkling of bunny poops in and around the trap.

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:

Emily
Yes they can and do in New Zealand. Our pet rabbits are domesticated European rabbits, and our wild rabbits in NZ are European rabbits (not cottontails or hares etc, but actual rabbits). Trust me, they can and do mate with domestic rabbits, I have seen it more than once :(.

Edit: sorry for the short sharp posts, in a very bad mood with all of this today, had a nasty phonce call from them last night about interfering :grumpy:.

I would have to go to all the farms and get permission to enter their properties for further searching, so that's todays mission.

Could you report them to RSPCA for abandonment of a domestic animal? If they continue to harass you can report them to the police. I know that it a pain in backside all over a rabbit but they couldn't do the responsible thing and find another home or take it to a shelter. Remember it is isn't just a rabbit it is a life.

Yup, the SPCA know, I discussed it with the cat co-ordinator there as she takes care of the bunnies there as well, when I borrowed the trap. They've got the address and phone number of Lucy's family but from past dealings with them, not sure what they'll do or if it's even considered an offence to set a rabbit free.

MyLOVEABLES!! I live in Auckland too, but I'm south-side :p.

"interfering"

WHAT???

but...sputter......sputter.....

if they gave a ...BLEEP....about the bunny, they would have found her a proper home instead of giving her a Born Free moment....

sputter...pst.....

I have to go kiss a bunny now....

grrrrrrrrrr

Thats selfish. My Rosie was a freed rabbit. her owners had moved house whilst theirs was being renovated, and left poor Rosie in the garden. Someone used to come to the house occasionally to feed her, then one day he let her out, and never bothered to get her back in (that was a saturday) I found her on the streets by the road on the TUESDAY.

I tracked her owners who simply said 'keep her- we dont want her back.'

So hence I now have Rosie. God knows what they did to her- but shes so wary of humans..she used to attack me!

:tantrum:

Michelle,

I remember your post about baby-sitting that sweet girland wishing that you could somehow keep her. The original situation (of her not receiving the proper amount of attention) wasbad enough. And now this?!?

Human beings can really suck sometimes....:X

I'll keep her in my prayers and send positive thoughts for her well-being.

Jenk

Latest posts

Back