I'm so happy........Oreo won't be put to sleep!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heaven33uk

Reaction score
I took Oreo (now renamed to Cookie but will explain that in a sec) to the new vet today, explained everything that happened so far and that my old vet had said he wanted to put her to sleep. I told him that for the last week she's been otherwise fine, eating, drinking and pooping ok and has generally still been her cute old self.

He looked at her butt and said he's only seen one case like this before but that he had no intention of putting her to sleep and that at the moment he wasn't even gonna operate on her, that an op would be the last resort. He said I've done a great job bathing the prolapse and he's really happy that she's not biting it. He said the fact that she's done so well for a week with this thing is a good sign.

Soooo........I have to continue withbathing but put petroleum jelly on afterwards (3 times a day) and he's given me some medicine to worm her (and there's enough for Fudge too) and we have to go back and see him again on Saturday.

It makes me to cringe to think that if I'd gone with my own vets advice, my poor baby wouldn't be with us now. The new vet is just so lovely and seemed to know so much more about rabbits than my old vet did and I now plan to register my little dog with him too as I've lost all faith in the old one.

Now, the reason we renamed her lol. Although her real name was Oreo, we always called her cookie (started by my daughter) but as we'd registered her name with the vet we kept her official name as Oreo. When I was giving the new vet her details today, without thinking I just saidCookie for her name so that's what she's registered as there. I was so sure I'd be leaving without her today that I didn't think it really mattered then after everything went so well we decided that the name Cookie was lucky for her so we've officially changed it now.

You have no idea how ecstatic I am that she's still with us and that I've found a vet that I'm happy with. As I said, I was so sure we'd lose her today and cried all morning knowing what I was gonna have to do. Fingers crossed that things keep going well for her.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:p

Jo x

yay for Cookie!!

I am really glad you found a vet that you are comfortable with :), and that will not put an animal to sleep at the first sign of illness. :)

I agree, although rabbits are cheap to buy, they're worth a lot more than that sentimentally. Some won't justify spending more in vet care on the animal than the cost to replace it, which is just plain heartless in my opinion.

So the vet thinks her prolapse is caused by straining to poo, from an infection of worms? It sounds like the cleaning and petroleum jelly will make it more comfortable for her. I hope that the dewormer solves the root of the problem.

The vet seems confident that the deworming medicine will help alot, he said he expects the prolapse to be half it's size by saturday. His biggest concerns were that it would dry out or that Cookie would bite it but so far neither has happened which is great.

Jo x

Latest posts

Back