Im not sure if this is already a topic but HELP.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pPETS-3764773t400.jpg

This is what I have. I attach it to my cage. It's tall enough they can't jump it. You can get it at PetsMart. $39.99

Dolla and Marley have both scaled a 3 foot high pen. (And Marley is a big french lop!). Dolla would have no issues jumping that pen, but that's my two bunnies. :p

On the other hand Domino has been in a pen that's 2 feet high and NEVER jumped out. So it can go either way. lol

Do you have a Target near you? That's where I got my panels for the Cube Condos (NIC Condos).

Wow!! I've never had a bunny jump like that! My NIC cage has no top except the second floor. Learn something new everyday. Her Ceaser looks small though. I was just giving her another option cause Ceaser isn't happy at night.And My Rascal does the same thing. So I was just telling her what I did. Thanks, April :)

i got him some new toys today, maybe that will help his boredom. im going to look into carpet squares from work and then when i have more time and everything go to target or walmart to check out and price the NIC cubes. i already have tons of twisty ties XD if thats what your suppose to use to tie them together. and no im not quite sure how to tell if a rabbits umm "nuggets" XD have dropped yet lol. i was kinda thinking it would be like a dog or a cat. were you could actually see them.

Nuggets.LOL :laughsmiley: NIC cubes use to be cheap, but the price keeps going up. I had to order mine from Walmart. Ship "Site to Store". Targets were way more expensive.

Katrina,

In the Kansas City area, most Target stores carry the NIC grids. They're under the "Organize It" or "Re-Organize" brand (same product, different box), in the Home Organization section of the store. I think each pack is $16.99, but you could get it cheaper if you can wait for a sale. If you get the black or white ones, half the cubes have wide openings in them that can't be used for a wall piece (bunny could squeeze through). I just got a pack of the silver ones, and all the cubes have the smaller grid. If you study the pictures on the front of the boxes, you can tell the difference. I have seen blue ones on store shelves (at the Shawnee Mission Parkway Target store) that still have small grids on all the panels.

If you're more interested in an ex-pen, look up a place called Dressler's Dog Supply. They have a website (just google it), which will tell you the location, it's local. I got my ex-pen there, and it was less expensive than at PetSmart or PetCo. The web prices are lower than the in-store prices, because of shipping charges. I got mine in-store, about 3 years ago, and it was quite affordable.

Lowe's has recently raised the price of it's pre-cut linoleum, to $27.99, and the Home Depot locations I've been to don't carry those anymore.

PM me if you have any questions about locations. (I'm in Shawnee.)

XD holy crap lol your not far from me at all! but that sounds awesome i'll have to check it out. both the prices of the expen compared to the nic cubes. im thinking about just doing the pen, my dad doesnt like ceaser inside, so he would have to be on the balcony on the weekends =/ and making a home made cage sounds like it would be hard to move XD

Check out Bed, Bath, & Beyond for NIC cubes as well. I bought some there for $14.95 this past weekend. They also only had the silver variety with small grids, but not sure if that's the case everywhere.

You can compare the prices between NIC and xpens, but you can easily use NIC panels to just make a pen (rather than a whole NIC cage) and attach it to your current cage with zip ties. Then just find some type of tile or vinyl flooring to put under itto protect the carpet.

For height, I bought a 36" xpen just to be safe (part of his permanent cage set up, which is a cage just like yours, but with an xpen attached), but I also use NIC panels to fence off areas of the house when my bun is running around, and he hasn't learned how to jump even one panel (which can't be more than 18"). It all depends on your bun, but you might be able to get away with something just 2' high unless he's an escape artist. Also, you can try clipping a sheet over the top of the pen as a roof (especially at night) because he won't try to jump out then.

Platypusstar wrote:
XD holy crap lol your not far from me at all! but that sounds awesome i'll have to check it out. both the prices of the expen compared to the nic cubes. im thinking about just doing the pen, my dad doesnt like ceaser inside, so he would have to be on the balcony on the weekends =/ and making a home made cage sounds like it would be hard to move XD
Is your balcony covered and climate controlled? It is really too hot in this area for domestic bunnies to be outside. Especially now, when it's hitting 98 degrees plus humidity.

theres a storage shed, i gotta get a fan and put it in there on the weekends. its an open balcony. i feel bad when i have to keep him out there =/

and i got a call from the vet when i was outside T__T theres a chance my cat might have feline lukemia....im so bummed out right now.

Platypusstar wrote:
theres a storage shed, i gotta get a fan and put it in there on the weekends. its an open balcony. i feel bad when i have to keep him out there =/

and i got a call from the vet when i was outside T__T theres a chance my cat might have feline lukemia....im so bummed out right now.
I'm sorry to hear about your cat. That sucks.

You will need more than just a fan in the shed to keep it cool enough. The heat index here has been well over 100, with high humidity. It would be very easy for a bunny to get heat stroke in these conditions. I would really encourage you to not keep the bunny outside at all when it is hot and humid like this.
I have a co-worker whose bunny died from heat stroke by being outside in the summer. The bunny was in the shade and had access to water, but it's just too hot here.

=/ i might be able to just keep him in my closet when my dads here, or just see if my friend Jeff can watch him for the weekend. honestly i hated putting him out there. i felt sooo bad....

Where does Ceaser stay? Is his cage in your bedroom? If so, is it possible for you to just keep your bedroom door closed when your dad's there, so he doesn't have to see Ceaser?
Does your dad know that you have Ceaser in the house normally?

Sorry for all the questions, I would just like to help you figure out the situation so it will work out for you, Ceaser, and your dad.

Sorry to hear about your kitty cat. :pray:

Wow, if it's that hot out there. Hope you can work something else out.U would think your dad would be ok with you keeping your door shut. Good Luck with that.

he doesnt know ceaser stays inside during the week XD but he knows i have him. my mom actually talked him into letting ceaser stay. i'll just keep him in my closet. he'll get over it. not like he hurts anything, plus hes litter box trained...speaking of which XD i gotta put new litter in his box *runs off to do so*

you know...i just noticed something about the carpet chewing...it looks like hes almost trying to groom the carpet. he licks and nibbles, sometimes he pulls it but he mainly licks it...do you think hes trying to find a companion?

One of my bunnies will like the carpet while he's chewing it, too. He has a companion, though, so I don't know if that is why.
Is there a certain spot he likes to chew the carpet? Mine like to go into a corner and chew. If there is one spot, and Ceaser is just chewing, but not eating the carpet, here's a trick you can try: Get a carpet sample and just put it in the area Ceaser likes to chew. Then he can chew the sample but not ruin the real carpet. When it is all chewed up, just replace it. It's not that pretty, but if you have company you can just take it up.
I get my carpet samples from Big Bob's Flooring Outlet on 75th Street; they are $2 each.
My bunnies only like to chew on the "normal" carpet, not the low Berber type, so sometimes I'll use one they don't like and they'll just leave it alone.

well i live in an apartment lol, so im trying to break that habbit. and i have "normal" carpet. do you think its maybe just how it feels on his tongue? its actually a couple spots he licks and chews on. and ive also been noticing hes kind of nibbling the wall. the paint doesnt have lead in it but im still a little worried about that. im going to be talking to the vet tomorrow about getting him neutered. im going to be working on pricing that out, maybe it'll stop some of his behavior. i mean XD i'd really like kits from him but hes startin to erk me with some of his aggressiveness as far as biting and kicking. he even thumps at me a couple times lol..

Edit: now hes digging at doors @___@ its not too bad, i mean lol atleast his claws arnt digging into the wood. its more annoying then anything

Back