I'm no huge Stephen King fan

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
Someone told me the Shawshank Redemption was one of his - the movie is one of my favorites.

The Green Mile - I love it.

But oh my goodness, I'm almost 17 hours into the movie Rose Red, WHEN does it end?

My goodness, there's a movie that long?! I haven't even heard of that book before and I've read several Stephen King books... So, are you watching the movie all in one go or what? I'd think that regardless of how good it is, it would get very wearing.

What's your favorite Stephen King book? The first one I read was The Stand in the 6th grade, most recent was The Shining in January. Awesome book to bring on an airplane!

LOL - it was a slight exaggeration, I don't know how long the movie is but I'm in disk 2 now...

The only two Stephen King books I've ever read on purpose was The Green Mile and Pet Sematary. Years ago I reada few of his books but wasn't impressed and got into Dean Koontz.

However, I watched on of my favorite DeanKoontzbooks made as a movie and was very disappointed. It ruined the book, didn't follow the character script and started in the middle of the book...

So now I'm ready togive Stephen King another try - I watched the Langoliers? quite a while back but surely the book is better than the movie... I can't remember the name of the last book/movie I watched of his but IMO it was dumb, alien leech-things hatching out of people.

This movie, Rose Red is pretty good - a haunted house thata team of people go into that all have some psycic abilities... It's kindof corny but ok.

I watched another movie by him that was just weird. Some kind of leech/aliens were hatching out of humans. LOL The good thing is the movies arent really gory as I would have expected them to be.

I didn't realize it, but I went thru my DVD list and apparently I have a nice size Stephen King Collection

Some of my favs-

The Green Mile
The Shawshank Redemption
The Stand
It
Maximum Overdrive
The Shining
Storm of the Century
Pet Sematary
The Golden Years
Sleepwalkers
Carrie
Salem's Lot
Cujo
Christine-MY FAV!!
Children of the Corn-just cause I am friends with Malachai... he is that creepy in real life but heck of a nice dood
Firestarter
Catseye
Silver Bullet
Stand By Me
The Lawnmower Man
Misery
Graveyard Shift
Sometimes They Come Back
Delores Claiborne
And one that scared the HECK out of me.. The Night Flier
Apt Pupil-RIP Brad Renfro
The Dead Zone

Not so fav-

Dreamcatcher
Rose Red
The Langoliers- or as my son called them The Lollygaggers
The Mist
The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer (this is a VHS tape off the telly)
Thinner
The Dark Half
The Tommyknockers
Needful Things

He also did the series Kindom Hospital-which I loved.. but was cancelled in favor of Dancing With Your Ferret.. or something equally as stupid..lol

I just realized.. do ya'll know how much gas money I spent on DVD's? GEEZ..

Storm of the Century is one I've watched - it was pretty good, but I still think the growly hiss he and the boy make sounds cat-ish rather than lupus/canine in nature.

My new phrase is taken straight from the movie though "Give me what I wan't and I'll go away"

Maybe, maybe I'm somewhat more of a fan than I originally thought.

I'll have to look into the others you've mentioned.

It's funny, my time consists of work, work, work, family, work and petsI have stacks of unopened DVDs I buy at Walgreens, Wal Mart, Goodwill etc - but never have time to watch. I usually buy from the $5 or less racks but did "splurge" on the Tremors set. :)

I used to be a huge Stephen King fan, but haven't read any of his books in a while now. Not because I no longer like his writing, but I just don't read very much any more...and books I do tend to read these days tend to be more self-help/spiritual types. I always thought King's writing was one of the best out there in terms of horror, but few movies seem able to capture what he creates on paper. I suspect some of it has to do with the fantasy aspect; on screen when someone tries to create a monster, it tends to look rather lame. Some of the movies were simply lame because of the acting and direction (Tommyknockers, for example). Some were actually quite good. But to best enjoy Stephen King, I'd say read the book rather than watch the movie...the way he is able to describe a scene in such delicious detail is a rarity. I haven't read all of his books, but one I still haven't been able to finish - for some reason I keep losing interest halfway through - is Rose Madder.

Loved Pet Sematary, Stand By Me (both the book and the movie), The Mist, Misery, Cujo, Tommyknockers, Gerald's Game, The Stand, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, It, Needful Things, and many others.

I love Stephen King. I have about 5 more books to read then I have read all of them. There have only been a few that I haven't liked and will probably not read again. None have been particularly scary though. So much for a horror writer. I am not a huge fan of the movies, they tend to ruin the book, so I would just rather not. There have however been some excellent adaptations, Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me (The Body), Secret Window, The Green Mile, and a few others. I will watch the movies that aren't books eventually. I would rather read the book than watch the movie any day. (that goes for other authors too *cough* harry potter *cough*)

My favourate book is The Eyes of The Dragon, The Dark Tower series is also good.

I'm weird when it comes to him...I won't read his books. I think mostly because I have seen the movies. I tend to hate when they make a movie out of a book, but might watch it. If I have seen the movie Than I refuse to read it...I have no idea why...I am just weird.
Like Eragon...It took me a few tries to read it and once I did I liked it well enough, even went on to read Eldest and I don't even know if the third one has come out yet, but look at what they did with it in the movies...If you ask me the movie stunk. So much more they could have and should have done with it.
Sometimes I think they should just leave the books alone...
I love the HP series and hate how far away the movies seem to get as we go...how much they leave out or change.
The Green Mile - LOVE IT!

The Shawshank Redemption - Good movie

The Stand - Liked it a lot till the end and didn't like how it seemed to cheese out

It - Strange but cool...I saw it way too young and scared the crap out of me.

Maximum Overdrive- Liked it

The Shining - Love the first verison, haven't seen the second one.

Storm of the Century - I really dug this one

Pet Sematary - Was cool

The Golden Years - Don't think I saw it

Sleepwalkers - for some reason I always liked it

Carrie - Cool flick

Salem's Lot - Don't think I saw it

Cujo - Wasn't a big fan of this one

Christine- Was pretty cool

Children of the Corn- I liked the first one, very creepy.

Firestarter - Liked this one a lot

Catseye - I was just talking about this movie, only remember pieces, would like to see it again.

Silver Bullet - Was ok.

1408- Don't know I have seen this one

Stand By Me - Love this one

The Lawnmower Man- Pretty cool flick

Misery - Pretty cool

Graveyard Shift - Think I saw this one...was it about a guy in a mill???

Sometimes They Come Back - hmm??

Delores Claiborne - Liked this one a lot

The Night Flier - Don't think I saw this one

Apt Pupil- Don't think I saw this one

The Dead Zone- Liked it a lot..

Dreamcatcher - I really liked this one

Rose Red - don't recall this one at all

The Langoliers- ?

The Mist - eh

The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer - ?

Thinner - Trippy

The Dark Half - ?

The Tommyknockers-?

Needful Things- I liked that one a lot too

whew...didn't realize how many of his flicks I had actually seen...

I didn't realize the Shawshank Redemtion was his and I am a huge fan of him and Morgan Freeman! LOL!

I have read most of Stephen's work. Rose Red was a huge miniseries, yep long one! but I liked it.

I lost a bit of interest in his books when he got to be a bit too commercialized or something.

We watched THE MIST yesterday! It's ok. A little hokey and I hated the end! :X

Just because I really want ya'll to see The Night Flier.. here is a review off Amazon.. they pretty much were all like this..

51R1G4K3ZJL_AA240_.jpg

Bloody great vampire flick, Watching a film based on a Stephen King novel is an adventure fraught with peril. No other author, not even Michael Crichton, receives as much attention from Hollywood as King does. Regrettably, in the rush to adapt everything this author has written over the past thirty years to the silver screen, terms such as "quality" rapidly flew out the window. While I haven't watched every entry in the King canon, I've seen enough of the good and more of the bad to know that blithely wondering into one of his films involves a considerable risk. It only takes a single experience with "Maximum Overdrive" (directed by the "Maine" man himself, incredibly) or "Cat's Eye" for a viewer to think twice about hauling that "based on a novel by Stephen King" DVD off the video store shelf. But for every disaster there does exist a "Carrie," a "Shawshank Redemption," or another film that makes the effort worthwhile. "The Night Flier" falls in the latter category, a movie so incredibly good that it's a wonder more people haven't heard about it. This is a film casual fans of Stephen King may not know about, and more's the pity because of their unawareness.

Some nut in a pitch black Cessna is flying around the country and landing at small, out of the way airports in order to messily kill the personnel on duty. All of these grisly incidents take place in the middle of the night, not in and of itself particularly strange, but the actual killings raise a host of intriguing questions screaming for someone to investigate. No one makes a connection that these crimes might be linked until a bottom feeding trash tabloid paper called "Inside View" gets a whiff of the story. The star reporter for this rag, Richard Dees (Miguel Ferrer), eventually expresses an interest in the killings when the facts become too weird to ignore. This journalist (a term used loosely) boards his own small plane and begins to follow the crimes up and down the East Coast. Dees faces a host of problems during his investigation, including the reluctance of witnesses to speak about what they know. Bigger difficulties emerge in the form of Merton Morrison (Dan Monahan), the sleazy editor of "Inside View," and a hungry new reporter looking for her first big break named Katherine Blair (Julie Entwisle). Dees isn't too worried about these problems since he understands completely the ins and outs of tabloid journalism, and knows from years of experience how to hold his own against rivals and unenthusiastic witnesses.

Dees's excursions slowly uncover a series of sinister clues to the identity of the unknown pilot. The enigmatic aviator's name is Dwight Renfield, and the guy only flies at night. He also seems to possess a weird ability to control the minds of some of his victims, victims left lying in county morgues with holes in their necks that you could drive a tractor through. Dees knows he's on to something huge, a story that could very well put him back on page one of "Inside View." As the reporter homes in on his quarry, he learns Renfield knows about him and knows what he's trying to do. Ominous incidents start occurring, messages left in blood in Dees's hotel room warning the reporter to cease and desist, stalking, things like that. Richard isn't the sort of guy that scares easily, however, so he takes these warnings as signs that he's about to break the big story. Meanwhile, back at "Inside View" headquarters, Dees reticence to reveal the juicy details of the case to Morrison leads the editor to assign eager beaver Blair to the story. The boss chuckles over imagining the hostility that will inevitably occur when Dees learns he's been steamrolled. Better Dees should worry about what will happen when he finally confronts Dwight Renfield than what Blair or Morrison are planning.

I loved "The Night Flier" when I first saw it on pay television back in the late 1990s, and a recent viewing reaffirmed my initial impressions. This movie has it all in spades: sleazy characters deeply developed, a massively scary vampire, and gore ramped up to insane levels. Miguel Ferrer slams it out of the park as the cynical, world-weary Richard Dees, a journalist so fed up with the nightmares of humanity that he formulates the personal philosophy "Never publish what you believe, and never believe what you publish" in order to keep his emotional distance. The picture succeeds because King, and by extension the filmmakers, rework the vampire mythos in a fresh way. This story rightly equates trash media with vampirism, and you never know who the real blood feeder is in the film. Dees, for example, stops at a gory highway accident to snap a few pictures of the mangled bodies in the cars, not because he plans to write a story about the incident but because he simply can't resist exploiting a graphic tragedy. Merton Morrison, upon hearing a few tidbits about Renfield's latest spree, exclaims, "God, I hope he kills more people!" As bad as Renfield is, he pales in comparison to these modern day Draculas.

Aside from the social messages in the film, "The Night Flier" also boasts one of the scariest looking vampires we've ever seen in a movie. That final showdown between Dees and Renfield, when the vampire finally shows the reporter his true face, will make you shudder. As for the DVD, a trailer, production notes, and cast and crew biographies are all the extras you get on the disc. I highly recommend this movie to fans of the vampire film genre. Heck, I recommend this film to anyone who wants to watch a genuinely scary film. "The Night Flier" is an unmitigated winner.

I don't feel so bad now..I went thru my DVD collection the other night, which my thing use to be clothes, shoes, accessories, and books. Now I am just hooked on books, sunglasses and DVD's. I catalogued them all and discovered that I have over 600, but I rarely pay full price. My husband HATES the day after Thanksgiving when all the stores have tons of DVD's on sale for like $1.98. I also surf Amazon for movies dirt cheap.. like I have gotten some movies for as low as 46 cents.. it cost me more to ship em!

The down side...prolly 300 of em are still in the wrapper. I dunno why I keep buying more.. maybe I am preparing for when I am a hermit with 500 bunnies, and feed bags for underwear, and I will hole up and watch endless movies..

Leaf wrote
It's funny, my time consists of work, work, work, family, work and petsI have stacks of unopened DVDs I buy at Walgreens, Wal Mart, Goodwill etc - but never have time to watch. I usually buy from the $5 or less racks but did "splurge" on the Tremors set. :)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
We watched THE MIST yesterday! It's ok. A little hokey and I hated the end! :X
WE just watched this and I thought it was great!!!!! I dont like Stephen King movies, i think there endings , for the most part stink. But this movie was not about the mist or bugs, to me, it was about what "people" would do when and if they were faced with the possibility of the world ending and how everyone turned on each other. The ending was horrible, not bad horrible but oh my god how crappy horrible,lol. I liked it, the mist and beings in the mist aside.

The Dark Tower series shows what a master Stephen King is. The only thing is to really appreciate his mastery, you have to read a bunch of his other books before reading DT because they're interwoven. You don't technically "have to" but it makes it such a better experience.

Stephen King is one of my absolute favorite authors. He's a master of the craft of storytelling and he has his own style.

My boyfriend wants to be a writer(but has a "real" job in mind because he realizes how hard it is, sigh) and one of his major influences is Stephen King.

In fact, if it'd be cool, I'd love to post one of Ryan's stories so he could get some feedback from more people who DON'T know him, haha. He always doubts anything I say because I'm his gf. I try to tell him I wouldn't encourage him if he sucked because who needs another crappy author, but he doesn't believe me, haha. :p

Latest posts

Back