I'm a bit of a worrier!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mollz

Reaction score
Well Domino is booked in for his neuter on 10th of July (he will be 16 weeks old) and I'm fairly confident that he'll cope with it fine. Hes a big lad and seems quite a tough little thing, plus I know that its a simple procedure for boys.

However for some reason I have started panicking about when Tilly get spayed - this won't be for at least another couple of months as she is only 9 weeks old at them moment. I don't know why its worrying me about her and not him, but I guess its just because she is tiny (1lb 6oz) - but thats a bit silly as she'll be much older when its done. And I guess its also because its a much more complicated procedure.

I'm going to be in pieces when either of them are in the operation I know I am and I would just like to hear some of your success stories really. Just to have a bit of reassurance.

P.S. I have found a great vet ho recommends them eating right up to the operation, give gut stimulating drugs afterwards and give painkillers through the procedure and afterwards - so I'm pleased with this at least.

I don't have any success stories or anything (purely because I've never had a bun neutered or anything), but I just wanted to say that it's normal to be scared. That shows you care. On the days they are having the ops, keep yourself busy and be around people.

Worrying about Tilly's op this far in advance won't help anything. You won't be able to enjoy her as much as you would if you were not worrying. I know there are LOADS of health benefits to a spay, but remember that you don't HAVE to get it done. You can choose if you don't want her to have it. Chances are, you will choose for her to have it, but you are in control of that aspect. Just try to focus on Domino for now.

Also remember that nowadays the anaesthetic if FAR better than ever before, and unless there is an underlying health problem then a doe shouldn't have any problems. Also remember that many small rabbits have the procedures done, and she is nowhere near full grown at the moment and she will be by then.

Good luck with Domino :)

I've had two buns neutered with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Spays are more invasive. Neuters are not invasive and the buns is usually eating shortly after waking up.

It sounds like you have a good rabbit savvy vet, which is great. The spay should go good as well. She will just need to have a quiet place for a few days with restriction to jumping and running about. In the event you have problems or are worried after her spay, you know we'll be here for you. Make sure you insist on pain meds to take home with you after the spay, you will want to administer these for at least a couple of days, maybe longer. I've heard of giving pain meds up to a week after a spay.

Good Luck! Keep us posted;).

Thanks you for being reassuring :)- I know its silly to worry but I'm just one of those people, I guess its just because I love them so much and Tilly has really bonded to me.

What do I do if they don't provide pain meds when I bring her home, no matter how much I insist?:?

Mollz wrote:
What do I do if they don't provide pain meds when I bring her home, no matter how much I insist?:?

Maybe call ahead and ask just to be sure. They will give the injection that lasts, they say, 24 hours, but it doesn't last that long:(.

See what they say when you call and inquire about it. Threaten to take your business else where if they decline to give them and see what they say, maybe that will do the trick:).

Mollz wrote:
I know its silly to worry but I'm just one of those people

Worrying is not silly in it's place because it means that you can be productive, like, with Tilly, you could list all your worries, maybe in a spider diagram, and then off of your worries, make a list of things you can do to stop that worry. For example, if you are worrying about them not giving you pain meds (like you said you are), then work out what you can do to alieviate that worry, by phoning ahead, or finding a vet that you know will definitely give extra pain meds, etc.

Worrying can be unproductive or productive so try to make yours productive.

Latest posts

Back