i slipped up big time.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jcl_24 wrote:
Right now, ensuring the brother and sister rabbits are separated would be the priority then. It could just be the case the doe isn't pregnant now but prevention for the future now will save you worry later.

Make a note of the date the two rabbits may have bred. Preparations for the possible litter can probablywait a little while (experienced breeders will know what those preparations should be).

If she is pregnant, hutch space will be needed, more so when the babies reach an age where the sexes need to be split up.

If your Dad is more pet friendly, explain factually to him what the bunnies need. Trying to manipulate yourDad to get what you need probably won't work-for example creating a scene would give him reason to question your maturity even though you might be doing it because youwant a result that benefits your rabbits.

Good luck

From
Jo x
i already noted them. and got 5 books out about rabbit and babies. and one plain bunny book.

irishlops wrote:
paul2641 wrote:
I think Irishlop the best thing you can do is sit down and slowly read everything that has been said. I once(maybe still am, someone answer this honestly?) as foolish with my rabbits as you.

Oh and I still can't believe the breeder suggested breeding brother and sister? Should have went to someone else, if he suggests inbreeding( is that what breeding sister and brother is?) Maybe your rabbits you have are inbreed? also that could be the cause of the death of your 3rd bunny inbreeding. I know it's alright to breed mother to son and vice versa with father and daughter. But it is wrong to breed brother and sister.
he did not recommend it. bu he said if it did.....

It's still suggesting it, making it seem like there is nothing wrong with it. When I start breeding In a year or so I would never sell a brother and sister together, because most peoples intensions is to breed them. I still think this breeder is a bit fishy.

i have done WAY TO much research on rabbits, i found out that. im going to politey say that to him next time i see him. if i will.

irishlops wrote:
i have done WAY TO much research on rabbits, i found out that. im going to politey say that to him next time i see him. if i will.
Ok just tell us some of the things you have found out?( the real important stuff)

well it will take a bit.
do you mean by the babies or general...
im coming off soon. so i might just x out suddenly

health, um.... most symtoms. how to treat things/injurys in emerginces. firist aid box, well i dont have one. planning to get one.
babies, i know that much detail about the mating, just that the female must go in to the male. ect, but i do not want to do that.
well being, toys, mental heath, exercise, play.
exercise, dangers,
um.... i cant remember, oh, kits should be covered with the hay/fur. in a small bunch for heat, mother feeds onces or 2 times in a day, and might not feed if she has an infection on/around her nipple/teat.
health of babies. peanuts can be born and not to explect all to live. (sorry paul)
and nertreing and spaying. females, might get a higher risk of, marramy/cervical? or other cancers and 80% chance of dying with in 1st year if not spayed. male is kinder, dont spray. does not ciricle. does not think your hand is female.:shock:
and other thing i did not read i found on rabbit hiuse socity.
i think i have to go. thats most of the things i learned this week.

irishlops wrote:
health, um.... most symtoms. how to treat things/injurys in emerginces. firist aid box, well i dont have one. planning to get one.
babies, i know that much detail about the mating, just that the female must go in to the male. ect, but i do not want to do that.
exercise, dangers,
um.... i cant remember, oh, kits should be covered with the hay/fur. in a small bunch for heat, mother feeds onces or 2 times in a day, and might not feed if she has an infection on/around her nipple/teat.
health of babies. peanuts can be born and not to explect all to live. (sorry paul)
and nertreing and spaying. females, might get a higher risk of, marramy/cervical? or other cancers and 80% chance of dying with in 1st year if not spayed. male is kinder, dont spray. does not ciricle. does not think your hand is female.:shock:
Least you have covered the basics.

thats good i hope.
if i need to look at more topics and stuff please tell me

ok, i only read the firist 3 and the last 5.
so ill make time.
thanks you have helpped me alot

irishlops wrote:
exercise, dangers,

You said previous that you know a lot about rabbit care, yet, this post above is some basics, that you just learned this week?!

Also, the 80% chance of dying in the 1st year w/o being spayed - that percentage is way to high. That would mean that two or three of my does would have already died within their first year of life, and they're all aged 2-3. I don't know where you read that, but I'm sure the perecentage is around 40% or 50%.

Emily

That 80% got to be the percentage of does developing uterine cancer in later life if not spayed but even this figure is debatable. Anyhow that's what I thing the 80% must relate to. As Emily said, the other statement doesn't make any sense.

irishbunny wrote:
It's actually the first 4 years Irishlops ;) Even though I really would question that statistic.

The accepted stat is that 80% of older does (over 4 or 5 I think) will develop uterine TUMORS, which isn't the same as dying. The tumors may or may not be cancerous, although I believe the benign ones often turn cancerous.

I'll take this opportunity to issue a caution to some in this group of posters.

At RO, we do NOT call each other 'liars', make snide remarks questioning somebody's rabbit knowledge or in any other ways be rude or judgmental.

We are ALWAYS polite, respectful and tolerant.

We're short a Rabbitry mod or two, otherwise we would have been requesting edits in a number of posts recently. It would be very helpful if everybody was more mindful of their manners.

Thank you.

sas

Pipp wrote:
irishbunny wrote:
It's actually the first 4 years Irishlops ;)Even though I really would question that statistic.

The accepted stat is that 80% of older does (over 4 or 5 I think) will develop uterine TUMORS, which isn't the same as dying. The tumors may or may not be cancerous, although I believe the benign ones often turn cancerous.

I'll take this opportunity to issue a caution to some in this group of posters.

At RO, we do NOT call each other 'liars', make snide remarks questioning somebody's rabbit knowledge or in any other ways be rude or judgmental.

We are ALWAYS polite, respectful and tolerant.

We're short a Rabbitry mod or two, otherwise we would have been requesting edits in a number of posts recently. It would be very helpful if everybody was more mindful of their manners.

Thank you.

sas

Thanks Sas, and no one was calling Irishlops a liar ;)

Emily

irishbunny wrote:
It's actually the first 4 years Irishlops ;)Even though I really would question that statistic.
I can edit this if it's seen as questioning her rabbit knowledge, I don't mind, just let me know :)

I've been having a look at this thread since it started and i would like to say accidents happen, especially when you are young and don't really think things through as much as maybe you should do. But i would like to say irishlops is trying to be responsible, she has said she is thinking of givingher rabbitsup for the benefit of them getting a better life, that is a mature response. It's not great what has happened but for the time being i think that

1. The wood seperating the top and the bottom should be nailed down to prevent it being moved in future, and becausei don't like the idea of bricks being there above a rabbits head with only wood stopping them falling down.

2. If the hutch is like i think it is, the female should have the upper level with the closed off bedroom area for protection for the nest box, or whatever youuse as your mum says you don't need a nest box.

3. You should consider an emergency spay if you can find the money because your mum won'tlet you getanother hutch for babies if there are any, or alternatively try and find a spare hutch or cage that you canborrow in preparation for babies if there are any.

And once you know if she is or isn't pregnant then you can think about what is best for the future. If she does have babies i think maybe it would possibly be best to see if you could keep a female baby with mum and try and re-home your male so the female has company with no risk of future pregnancy, and then the hutch doesn't have to be divided so giving more space to run in the cage as they don't go out much. I know some may disagree me saying keep a baby and re-home the boy but it does seem better for space, and i don't think the parents would want to pay for a spay and neuter, but this is only if so let's see what happens.

I think grumpybabies gave very good advice there, just one word of caution: it's very hard to sex young rabbits, so by keeping a baby you may end up in the same situation as before unless you find someone who can tell the sex with 100 per cent certainty

Yes that thought didn't occur to me, maybe a vet could do a free check, but that is only a maybe in the future. There are so many times i wish i had loads of money so i could send money to people on this forum that need help with stuff like this, but then again they may think i was crazy lol

about people calling me a liar. well they did not. eve if they did every one on RO is kind. and forgiven, but there is no need.

any way. im planning to keep the two adults. he is getting nutered in feb. when he is aboslutly baby emptpy, i dont know about 6 weeks or 8? then they will bond. about the babies with the mother, like the females is a good idea, but grumpy babies said they are hard to sex. well i hope the vet is kind...:?

well i have saved up enought for him to be snipped. now i wait till he is 6months.

her, as soon as we have to moey, and she is well enough/

illpost more later.

thanks, as i said, no one was being rude.

Latest posts

Back