i slipped up big time.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No it's not ok to lock him in a small dark box, the poor rabbit will go mad, the only way you could use one is if you built a little run off the front of it and leave the kennel door open all the time.

im more worried if there is babies where they would go once their 8/9 weeks old? theres no way the bucks could be put with dad as they would rip each other apart when they matured :(and homes arent so easy to come by so theres no garantee they'd all be rehomed by then.

i agree with irishbunny in printing off information off here for your mum to read through she needs to know that the rabbits are also her responsability as she let you have them in teh first place i.e she'll be in charge of vet bills, new hutches etc. if you dont work and earn money yourself.

it does seem you do want baby bunnies and if you do just be honest about it no point lying but again theres no point in us jumping to conlusions as we dont know what goes on in your house so cant really comment :?

irishlops wrote:
my dad is not like that. if he saw facts, then. and its cheap. would an dog kennel do.....
for the time being....
Are you saying if your Dad saw the facts he would get you another cage? If that is the case print out all your threads and all the information people have been giving you and show it to him. Your rabbits really need to have separate cages. Your parents allowed you to get these rabbits and they need to step and assume responsibility for the things the rabbits need. It is really sad they are not doing that. I feel bad for your rabbits and I hope the female is not pregnant because if you can't even get them to buy what your two rabbits need I am afriad it will even be harder for you if there are babies. Good luck I hope some how you are able to make your parents understand.

I'm curious as to why you would ever leave the male in the female's "bedroom" while you went to do (whatever this is) dinner revision mass!?! Why? Why not finish cleaning the cages and put the male back downstairs (even though the hutch you have is clearly made for one rabbit...) and then go to whatever that thing is....??

In your original post, you said that that your mum told you to put 5 bricks on it....then in your next post you say that she put the bricks on it.....?? It's not the woods' fault for breaking ;)How would the wood break from five bricks, if it's leaning up against the door to the bedarea? This confuses me...Wood shouldn't break if bricks are being used to hold it up (like another wall...)??

Honestly, I don't think you should have them either. You can't supply them with proper housing, you don't know very much about rabbit care...and your parents fail to buy the equipment you need to successfully keep rabbits safe... And truly, I'm sorry to say that...

As for your mother not understanding the feeding thing....humans need food everyday don't they? So why shouldn't rabbits? This is something that really irks me...thinking animals don't need food everyday. They get hungry daily just like humans do. Simple as that. You wouldn't want to go without a day of food and neither do your animals.

Emily

Sadly i have to agree with Emily on every of her points. Also your account of how these "accidents" come about doesn't tie up and my mind boggles trying to actually understand. I have a hutch just like yours and I still can't see how the wood can give with or without bricks (unless it's rotten and that's hardly the case) If I were to seperate the two levels I'd screw a board to it for extra security. I have seperated the hutch in the past (without any extra board) and never had problems.
Apart from that, Emily expressed everything i was going to say.

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
I'm curious as to why you would ever leave the male in the female's "bedroom" while you went to do (whatever this is) dinner revision mass!?! Why? Why not finish cleaning the cages and put the male back downstairs (even though the hutch you have is clearly made for one rabbit...) and then go to whatever that thing is....??

In your original post, you said that that your mum told you to put 5 bricks on it....then in your next post you say that she put the bricks on it.....?? It's not the woods' fault for breaking ;)How would the wood break from five bricks, if it's leaning up against the door to the bedarea? This confuses me...Wood shouldn't break if bricks are being used to hold it up (like another wall...)??

Honestly, I don't think you should have them either. You can't supply them with proper housing, you don't know very much about rabbit care...and your parents fail to buy the equipment you need to successfully keep rabbits safe... And truly, I'm sorry to say that...

As for your mother not understanding the feeding thing....humans need food everyday don't they? So why shouldn't rabbits? This is something that really irks me...thinking animals don't need food everyday. They get hungry daily just like humans do. Simple as that. You wouldn't want to go without a day of food and neither do your animals.

Emily
thats why i said that. i did have 3. one passed away, before i got another one. i have been thinking about this. saying how much i miss the passed one.. i thought. im ggoing to try to improve there life. if it fails, there life is in rubbish. so they will need a good home. what you said about rabbit care. i know ALOT thank you very much. thats why i know there life is rubbish. i dont what to be rude. but thats how i know.
the next 3 weeks is the making or breaking of my heart.#
about the top bit. they were back wear they were ment to be. the wood on the "floor" / "celing" broke. and the she/ me. i only put on about 3. she came out and change that. well there was 5 when i came out, and i did not put them there

about food. im smart enough to know that a rabbit/s need food in there digestion tract at all time. or it has a good chance of shutting down. or maybe gi stattis.
or they will be hungery.

irishbunny wrote:
No it's not ok to lock him in a small dark box, the poor rabbit will go mad, the only way you could use one is if you built a little run off the front of it and leave the kennel door open all the time.
thats what i mean.

Amy27 wrote:
irishlops wrote:
my dad is not like that. if he saw facts, then. and its cheap. would an dog kennel do.....
for the time being....
Are you saying if your Dad saw the facts he would get you another cage? If that is the case print out all your threads and all the information people have been giving you and show it to him. Your rabbits really need to have separate cages. Your parents allowed you to get these rabbits and they need to step and assume responsibility for the things the rabbits need. It is really sad they are not doing that. I feel bad for your rabbits and I hope the female is not pregnant because if you can't even get them to buy what your two rabbits need I am afriad it will even be harder for you if there are babies. Good luck I hope some how you are able to make your parents understand.
thats true.... im telling my brother all the facts the tinyist detail. then he is good at explainning things, and he listens to me.

I must be really slow as I still can't follow. But have you any pictures of your set up and your rabbits so that people get a better idea?

Peek-a-boo wrote:
im more worried if there is babies where they would go once their 8/9 weeks old? theres no way the bucks could be put with dad as they would rip each other apart when they matured :(and homes arent so easy to come by so theres no garantee they'd all be rehomed by then.

i agree with irishbunny in printing off information off here for your mum to read through she needs to know that the rabbits are also her responsability as she let you have them in teh first place i.e she'll be in charge of vet bills, new hutches etc. if you dont work and earn money yourself.

it does seem you do want baby bunnies and if you do just be honest about it no point lying but again theres no point in us jumping to conlusions as we dont know what goes on in your house so cant really comment :?
well, this post, um, the breeder promised to buy them off me, if they happened to get a litter.
and no way do i want baby bunnies. about vet bills. my rabbit would of lived if she took him to the vet. she was like, you are the smart one,, you can look after it in the houuse, its cheapper. the vet would put it to sleep any way. he was in pain, i had to stick up with listening to him grind.

im posting like mad because i am only on for 15mins maybe . and broken up in to bits so it is not confusing,

Can you try and take pictures with your mobile (or someone else's) and upload them?

yes, i could. i never thought of that!
ill try. do you want photos of the set up?

Whatever helps people to picture it in their mind and of course rabbit pictures are always welcome here:biggrin2:

I think Irishlop the best thing you can do is sit down and slowly read everything that has been said. I once(maybe still am, someone answer this honestly?) as foolish with my rabbits as you.

Oh and I still can't believe the breeder suggested breeding brother and sister? Should have went to someone else, if he suggests inbreeding( is that what breeding sister and brother is?) Maybe your rabbits you have are inbreed? also that could be the cause of the death of your 3rd bunny inbreeding. I know it's alright to breed mother to son and vice versa with father and daughter. But it is wrong to breed brother and sister.

Right now, ensuring the brother and sister rabbits are separated would be the priority then. It could just be the case the doe isn't pregnant now but prevention for the future now will save you worry later.

Make a note of the date the two rabbits may have bred. Preparations for the possible litter can probablywait a little while (experienced breeders will know what those preparations should be).

If she is pregnant, hutch space will be needed, more so when the babies reach an age where the sexes need to be split up.

If your Dad is more pet friendly, explain factually to him what the bunnies need. Trying to manipulate yourDad to get what you need probably won't work-for example creating a scene would give him reason to question your maturity even though you might be doing it because youwant a result that benefits your rabbits.

Good luck

From
Jo x

paul2641 wrote:
I think Irishlop the best thing you can do is sit down and slowly read everything that has been said. I once(maybe still am, someone answer this honestly?) as foolish with my rabbits as you.

Oh and I still can't believe the breeder suggested breeding brother and sister? Should have went to someone else, if he suggests inbreeding( is that what breeding sister and brother is?) Maybe your rabbits you have are inbreed? also that could be the cause of the death of your 3rd bunny inbreeding. I know it's alright to breed mother to son and vice versa with father and daughter. But it is wrong to breed brother and sister.
he did not recommend it. bu he said if it did.....

Back