I rescued a Flemmie in need of a loving home

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Must_Love_Pets

Reaction score
Yesterday I was offered a 4 yr fawn Doe Flemmie by Barbi who felt terrible about Thor. I was in no frame of mind at the time to even think about it. Last night I tossed and turned thinking about her. I thought how she would be passed up at Barbi's Rabbitry because of her age. I had to put my feelings aside and think about her. Although I am still very sad about losing Thor, this did not mean she should be passed up by me. She will not replace Thor but I knew I coud provide a very loving home for her.She is such a sweet and affectionate Flemmie. She going through a bit of a molt at the moment.

Meet "Big Bertha" and her HUMUNGO dewlap.

My niece with Bertha

865-1.jpg

IMG_6513.jpg

IMG_5750-1.jpg

822-1.jpg

772-1.jpg

She was a pet quality Flemmie that had the whole backyard for the past 4 years. The owner had to give her up due to a family ilness and was just sick to his stomache about having to give her up. I told barbie i would be more than happy to send pics and give updates as often as he wants and can visit her at anytime as well. I can only imagine how he feels. Barbi said he will be very happy knowing she went home with me. that made me feel good :)

She is absolutely gorgeous and I am so glad that you rescued her...but I suspect that she may also have rescued you from a lot of grief by helping to fill the gap that Thor left.

When I lost Tiny I was devastated and within a week if I remember right - we made arrangements to adopt Zeus, a flemish giant mix.

Zeus hasn't replaced Tiny - he simply made his own place in our hearts and helped me through the rough patches when I missed Tiny so bad.

Congrats to you both!

I feel good about bringing her home. She is settling in very well. After disinfecting the enclosure twice within the week becasue Thor has been in our room for 3 weeks, she is now in Thors old enclosure. She ate her dinner and is drinking her water. She is also laying in the very same spot Thor always laid. It made me smile and yet sad all at the same time. She is certainly making her own place in my heart.

Thank you, I was not sure about anything happening so quickly but I couldn't make her wait until I thought I felt I was ready for her. The sooner the better for a rescue to go to a perm home.:)

I think Bertha is just what you need right now. Oh, and that is the BIGGEST dewlap I've ever seen, lol. Because she's pet quality, are you planning on having her spayed?

I worry about her age for a Flemmie but will talk to my Vet about it. I of course am all for it and hope that I safely can.

I know I think she may be up for a world record for the biggest dewlap. LOL

She is such a sweetie!

Her first morning at her new home and I have to say, she is a happy morning girl. She does the same thing Thor would do. I walk into her enclosure and was welcomed with endless amounts of love and affection. I was more than happy to return the love and affection, she was thankful. We just need to work on her litter box skills :litterhealthy::D

I find that some of my girls are very very affectionate - more so than the bucks. My biggest girl, Harmony is just a cuddlebug or at least a "I'll pancake while you pet me for at least half an hour" type girl.

It sounds like your girl will be a lovebug too.

Wow that is a big lap! i have never seen a flemmi wit a dew lap like that but she is sooooo pretty!!! but cuddle buddy to watch ncis at night lol or a good bunny movie or heck Bed time stories wit the gp with the huge eyes lol im sure she would love that movie lol

Tehehe, we will soon find out. I am letting her get use to her enclosure for a few days. She acclimates quite rapidly. She got a nice brush out today and purred for me :inlove: She loves the attention that she is use to. She gave me a few nose nuzzles too.SQEEEEE:apollo: This is the beginign of a very healthy and loving relationship. :hugsquish::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back