I need to know if it really is ok for bunnies to be housed outdoors?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had two rabbits being housed outdoors. It's a serious commitment that requires you to be willing to go outside in every weather. Also requires you to be sure if a cat is in the neighbourhood that you take proper measures. Both my rabbits were housed outside. They died outside.
Just preparing you. I have nothing wrong with it. Just be prepared. Please. My reasoning is that rabbits are used to lving outside just remember that they would normally be in a nice warm burrow. Please consider every option and triple check. I did it for a bit.

Jj

See the topic Tip for Cold Bunny [or close to this] for a suggestion. It's in the Housing & Environment section, if you can't find it in the recent posts.

I have always had outdoor bunnies and where I live (Wollongong, 1.5 hours south of Sydney Australia) we can get some extreme weather.

Rocky is my baby and he is a very happy bunny who doesn't much like being inside. His hutch is under my pergola so it is shielded from the rain, wind and sun.

There is nothing wrong with housing your bunny outdoors as long as he is safe from the weather and you take precautions to keep him cool in summer and warm in winter, and that he isn't bored and you interact with him regularly.

I live with my mum and she was always NO ANIMALS INSIDE but since this statement she has let the dogs sleep inside and Rocky comes in if it is too hot or too cold outside for him. Your parents might bend slowly once they see your bunny is a nice clean pet who loves cuddles :)

From what I have heard it is a common misconception that it is cruel for bunnies to be housed outside. As long as you treat them well and keep them safe from extremes and predators it's fine :)

We keep 2 of our buns "outside" in a fully enclosed patio. It's completely weather and predator proof, but has no heat or AC. Fortunately we don't have extreme temperatures so it's OK.

For winter, I stapled thick plastic over the screens and their hutch floor is folded up fleece blankets. They also have thick wool pads to sleep on, topped with a heat reflecting blanket. Finally, I toss in a heating disc and cover the whole thing with a blanket, then a tarp. They stay very toasty!

I have tried to bring mine inside and they HATE it. My one bun growls a lot and peed all over the floor, in a million different spots over a period of 3 weeks. She just couldn't acclimate. Both of them are outside in a secure yard when we're home and they enjoy digging holes, running, and sunning under the bushes. They have a lot more fun outside than indoors, so we accommodated them.

We are outside a LOT, so they get tons of attention.

I've had several rabbits in NC, some of which have lived indoor/outdoor. It's doable! These are my experiences:

Porch Bunnies: This really depends on how your porch is set up. We tried this for a bit but it was very difficult to keep clean. There was a screen under the floorboards to keep bugs out, and when droppings fell outside the cage they became lodged under the floorboards and above the screen. They're probably still there to this day, we could never get them out. Needless to say, bunnies did not stay on the porch very long, and were moved back into the house. The bunnies did really enjoy the porch though.

Heat: It does get very hot in the summer in NC! Keep their cage next to a wall of your house and that will keep it a little cooler. If you have an outlet out there you can get them a little fan and give them ice packs.

Cold: If you only have one bunny, I would be concerned. I've never had just one rabbit in the NC winter. They keep each other warm.

Mites/fleas: If the bunnies go into the woods, there is a good chance of mites. I've had to deal with them several times. If just on your porch, probably not much to worry about.

I think thats about it...the only other thing to worry about is other animals. When I lived in Raleigh I regularly saw hawks, owls, foxes, stray dogs and cats near my house, and we have had a few coyote sightings as well. Make sure your porch is secure!

Thanks so much guys! I got one and guess what? They saw how in love with her I was and now she's inside:p they don't mind as long as I keep her clean!

I have a bun that lives outside and she has her own hutch and fenced in area to run and play. She also has free roam of the yard on occasion. During the summer I have a little battery powered fan that I leave on all day to keep her cool. It is propped up on the outside of her cage. You can use solar rechargeable batteries to cut down on cost. Also during the winter I have a blanket and big beach towels plus a ton of hay in her nesting box. It hasn't been cold enough to have her water bottle freeze but I was told I could purchase a water crock(heavy bowl) in case of freeze. Of course I have a back up plan if there is a hard freeze coming to our area, that is simply a large dog kennel. If you have any other questions please message me. Good luck with your bun.

rita1234 wrote:
Thanks so much guys! I got one and guess what? They saw how in love with her I was and now she's inside:p they don't mind as long as I keep her clean!
Awesome!. Glad that worked out. Rabbits are usually very food motivated, and surprisingly intelligent! Most are very trainable.

The main thing to remember is that they are prey animals, and respond badly to aggressiveness. When you train a bunny you need to use positive reinforcement, rather than negative (look that up on google if you're not sure what it means). Positive reinforcement and Operant Conditioning work very well with rabbits, so read up on that.

Of course, if they are doing something very destructive or dangerous some negative intervention may be necessary, but be gentle about it. Clap your hands or stomp your foot loudly and shout NO!". And if that's not enough of a deterrent, pick her up and move her away, or place some kind of barrier in font of her and gently push her away. Some people find that a squirt from a water bottle is also effective.

There are some rabbits that just don't seem trainable, and for those prevention is the only solution. Keep them contained (easier said than done), and barricade off areas they're not allowed when they're out playing.

Also, in regards to your screened in patio, that sounds like an excellent play area for your bunn, even if she is kept indoors most of the time. Bunnys need a lot of "out" time and room to run around. Just be aware that their teeth are sharp as knives and they can chew through just about anything. Typical home screens will not be much of a barricade, since a bunny could chew trough that in no time. Get some cage wire or pet screen protection grates to cover the lower parts of the screens.

Give the bunn lots of stuff to chew on. Old phone books, cardboard boxes (I usually use food grade cardboard, like cereal boxes) and plain, untreated wood are cheap chew toys. My bunny, Zoom-zoom loves the eCOTRITION Snak Shak Treat Stuffer chew logs. A large one will usually last him several weeks to a month.

Congratulations on your new companion. Keeping a rabbit is quite an adventure. They are always surprising, and you will probably learn as much from her as she will from you. Give her lots of love and play time and she will reward you in unexpected ways.

I used to be a dog person, until a chance encounter brought the Zoomer into my life. And now, after nearly two years together, I can't imagine a better pet. He is awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back