i need help picking a rabbit breeed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
though warning about the outdoor thing, they get sick easier and the weather can sometimes be not very nice. i suggest keeping the rabbit inside but having an outdoor pen for the nice days.

also keep in mind, when bunnies get wet (rain) their coats curl. and its not easy to get it back to normal. i know. i left my bunny with some1 and they sprayed him when he was bad, and i still can't fix his fur...

AquaticRex wrote:
also keep in mind, when bunnies get wet (rain) their coats curl. and its not easy to get it back to normal. i know. i left my bunny with some1 and they sprayed him when he was bad, and i still can't fix his fur...
why does their fur curl? i was going to put my rabbit hutch under a gizibo (sp)so my rabbit would be safe from weather

AquaticRex wrote:
those bunnies are pretty smart too, but a lot of the times with rex rabbits, 1: i believe some are known to have the smarts of a human child and learn their area quickly, 2 you can sometimes train them to do tricks for treats. with the area thing, i put up blockers to stop my bunny from going up or down stairs and now he wouldn't even think of going to either place. he just stays in one place. my boyfriend forgot he had let the bunny out while i was gone putting out resumes, i come back and find the rabbit just laying on the couch. my boyfriend said he'd been upstairs for an hour. as well, litter training was really easy with my rex rabbit, while before when i had a lop rabbit, i couldn't train it to save my life. now with the rex rabbit i can prolly put a box with litter in it anywhere and he would go there, though i try not to re-arrange his home...
woa i didn't know rabbits were so smart!i have two parakeets and they are smart and they can learn tricks(i taught them to perch on my hand)but after while they forget. so i'm glad to hear that bunnies actually rember what you teach them.

lol i have an xxL dog cage for him for now, until my custom one is finished, i just take the top piece outside on nice days and sit out there with him while he munches on grass. i currently live in an apartment complex, looking for a farm so i can fix it up to a no-kill animal shelter rescue center on one part of the farm, another part will be an adoption center, and another part will be a pet holiday area. this way my bunny can get a nice large area to run and i still get the business that i've wanted since i was 7. it will allow me to have more time with my bunny ^_^

AquaticRex wrote:
lol i have an xxL dog cage for him for now, until my custom one is finished, i just take the top piece outside on nice days and sit out there with him while he munches on grass. i currently live in an apartment complex, looking for a farm so i can fix it up to a no-kill animal shelter rescue center on one part of the farm, another part will be an adoption center, and another part will be a pet holiday area. this way my bunny can get a nice large area to run and i still get the business that i've wanted since i was 7. it will allow me to have more time with my bunny ^_^
that is so thoughtful!

i wanted to be a vet until i suddenly had almost no tolerances for large amounts of blood. so i decided i wanted to open a no kill animal rescue shelter/pet holiday getaway. any idea what kind of bunny you want yet? i saw these adorable mini buns in the store today. i wanted to get one but the house is already full of animals and my boyfriend would be squawking about it for weeks...

AquaticRex wrote:
i wanted to be a vet until i suddenly had almost no tolerances for large amounts of blood. so i decided i wanted to open a no kill animal rescue shelter/pet holiday getaway. any idea what kind of bunny you want yet? i saw these adorable mini buns in the store today. i wanted to get one but the house is already full of animals and my boyfriend would be squawking about it for weeks...
i was thinking of either a rex or an dutch

I think the smaller breeds don't do well outside. My dwarfs and mini-rexes are always hanging out by the heaters in the house, they get cold easily. I heard they can't hold their body heat well because of their size.

I think a dutch or a full size rex would be fine, although I don't know about the rex's lack of guard hairs.

Rescues don't adopt to outdoor homes because they think the rabbits will be lonely without much human interaction on top of the safety issues. Rabbits REALLY need constant companionship, they're very social. But if you get two rabbits, they'll keep each other company (and they can keep each other warm).

The city shelters (which can be housing rabbits in terrible conditions), SPCA's and Humane Societies are usually in dire need of finding homes for their rabbits, and they often have spay and neuter programs or clinics with big cost reductions, or they have rabbits that are already spayed/neutered.

You'd be doing the rabbits a big favor getting a couple from sources like that.

And there's always Craigslist.

sas :goodluck

PS: A rabbit used to being a house bunny will not like being moved outside, so I'm backtracking on Craigslist, most rabbits there are used to being house rabbits.

Rabbits in danger at the city shelters won't be fussy, though. A lot were picked up as strays.

Breeders will also have pet stock they'll be happy to rehome for not much money, although the spaying/neutering will be up to you. And most of those rabbits will be used to life outside.

sas

what Pipp says is right. if your going to get a rabbit, i suggest getting it for indoors. bringing it outside in the day i'd say is ok though, as long as you don't leave it there. i think the life span of an outdoor rabbit is actually less then an indoor one. thats what i've heard though. by the way, one of the things with rex rabbits that i found nice was the texture of the fur. it has a sort of velvety feel to it. i really hate what people used to do to rex rabbits. they used to use the fur for clothing like coats and stuff. they've banned real furs here though thank god. those spineless idiots!!

Back