i need help picking a rabbit breeed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All rabbit breeds shed. While angora breeds might shed a bit less, they are not suited for living outside and require a ton of grooming. There is no way to avoid shedding and rabbits.

Most breeds could live outside, but you need to have a secure hutch/run. It needs to protect from predators as well as the elements. If it snows where you are, it need to be able to withstand the snow and protect the rabbit for the snow. It also needs to provide shade and be out of the sun. Many store bought hutches are very small, so you would either need to get a run or build a hutch yourself. A shed or other small building can also work provided it has ventilation.

We don't have a "place" we bring as many bunnies as possible including ones you are interested in and meet at someones house or the shop (it's someones place of business.).

the most that you can do about shedding is make your hands damp (not wet) and pet your bunny the opposite way, it brings up all of the loose hair. don't completely wet the bunny though, it's hair will start to curl. i left my bunny with my aunt for a weekend while i went to see a friend out of town and i came back to see that she had been spraying him with a water bottle cause he was "misbehaving". won't be leaving my bunny with her again. now his back end is all curly and its taking forever to try and fix it.

as for outdoor, i think most rabbits are ok, as far as i know, as long as they have the proper home. in the summer, make sure to put a frozen water bottle in the cage so he/she can lay against it and cool off. for the winter be sure that their pen is well insulated

if you want a smart bunny, get a rex rabbit, they're really smart. though have a nice big pen for it. they get biggg.. unless you get a mini rex rabbit ^_^

those bunnies are pretty smart too, but a lot of the times with rex rabbits, 1: i believe some are known to have the smarts of a human child and learn their area quickly, 2 you can sometimes train them to do tricks for treats. with the area thing, i put up blockers to stop my bunny from going up or down stairs and now he wouldn't even think of going to either place. he just stays in one place. my boyfriend forgot he had let the bunny out while i was gone putting out resumes, i come back and find the rabbit just laying on the couch. my boyfriend said he'd been upstairs for an hour. as well, litter training was really easy with my rex rabbit, while before when i had a lop rabbit, i couldn't train it to save my life. now with the rex rabbit i can prolly put a box with litter in it anywhere and he would go there, though i try not to re-arrange his home...

i don't know much about dutch rabbits, but dwarfs are just mini's of the bigger ones. all you have to do is reasearch the types and find one that complements your lifestyle. either way, i think they're all cute ^_^

Latest posts

Back