I need breed help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyrul

Reaction score
Hello all, it has been a while.

I still have my 4 buns, still love Squishes the big bunny the best, yeah, I know that is wrong but she is my buddy.

Anyway, me and my crazy girls were at the mall. Our mall no longer has a pet shop (YAY!) but the Humane Society has a shop in its place. Today, they had a big brown bunny that was recently found roaming about by animal control (our domestic animal services work with most rescues to save furry and feathered beasts), AC has a hold on the bunny, who is tattooed in his super huge ears. This is large bunny, very thin, has some kind of infection in his ears. He/she has the hugest ears I have ever seen on an animal, they seriously drag he/she steps on them. This is such a friendly sweet bunny, I am totally smitten by his personality, not such a huge fan of the super huge ears. What kind of rabbit has ears this huge? I so wish I had taken a picture now.

I totally cannot believe I want this rabbit.

When full grown English lops can get to 10.5 + lbs. I hear their ears are no different to take care of. Everyonce in a while check the ear canal for wax and make sure they don't get their ears in their bowl when they are drinking especially if they are outdoors because they can get frostbite

From my experience ELops are a little on the thinner side but you shouldn't be able to feel their backbone

Yup, sounds like an English Lop. Apparently they're hard to get a hold of, so I'd say go for it! They're supposed to be fantastic house bunnies.

Yup English Lop!

They are leaner so they sometimes appear to be skinny when they're at their ideal weight. You do have to check their ears for wax build up and make sure to keep their nails short. If they get too long and sharp they can scratch their own ears accidentally by stepping on them.

I have 3 and they have lovely personalities.

Last edited:
My problem is, we have truly fallen on hard times and have had our house foreclosed. So I am now searching for affordable housing that will allow us to keep our 4 inside bunnies, 4 inside cats and dog. Fortunately, our dog is not considered to be a aggressive breed but it is hard, especially with all our human kids and trying to stay in the same high school.

It also may have been claimed, it was tattooed. The shelter had a 5 day hold so hopefully he would be claimed, then the rescue would not adopt until he was spayed/neutered and rash was clear.
I will check on him in a few days.

I'm sorry for your situation and I hope it improves soon!

I think waiting until you are stable again before bringing home another pet would probably be best. If the bunny is still available when you find yourself in a stable situation and if you feel like another rabbit would work with your life and family at that point (time, cost, space, ect) I do think English Lops make great pets (as I said I have 3 of them). :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back