I made the choice, now I am facing the consequences

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy27

Task Force
Reaction score
I usually keep my personal life off RO. But I really felt like I wanted to post this. May be hoping someone would say I made the right choice. Though I know lots of people will probably disagree with me. Atleast IRL, they do. But in my mind, there was no other option.

Anyway to the story. When Chase got sick almost 2 years ago, I quickly realized that caring for her would financially kill me. I have spent total about $10,000 in health care for her. Not including her special diet. But, I looked into the face of this rabbit who loved life and counted on me to be there for her, through good and bad. I mean, I made that choice when I purchased her right? The love I felt for her was so strong, I couldn't give up on her. So, I made the decision that her healthcare would come first. If we had to live in a cardboard box we would. Atleast she would get the care she deserved and have the chance to live.

Today, I have offically lost my condo and I am devestated. It is so nice, the animals have so much room and we all just love it. It took me a year to find the perfect place to buy and this condo was it. It was everything I wanted. But now I am losing it. I have about 3-4 months before I have to move out. I am sad. I tried everything to work with the mortgage company. I went to see a HUD counselor, went to mediation today and they basically said with your expenses, you can't afford it. We are going to continue foreclosing. Though I am so sad and know we will all have to adjust to living in a small apartment. I look into Chase's face and am thankful I still have her with me and that I made the decision I made. How could I pick a house over a life? I just couldn't. I couldn't imagine doing it.

Though for some reason I am filled with guilt that I have to move my animals to a small apartment. My cats will lose the fenced in backyard they love. The rabbits will lose the amount of room they have to run around. It isn't like I can explain to them, I am doing this so Chase can live.

I haven't really told anyone the real reason I financially can't do it anymore, even family. I just say I can no longer afford it. Though the mortgage company has seen my bank statements to see how much I am spending in vet bills. I know how must people would view this, likeI am crazy.

I love this home. I had a hard life growing up and never had a "home". I lived in foster care and the children's home for part of my life. This place is like a safe haven for me. But home is where the family is right? I will have all my babies, including Chase in my new home. So it shouldn't matter how small it is. We will all be together.

I realize some of you might or probablythink I am crazy. I know my friends and family would and do though they don't know the whole story. To think I have ruined my credit and lose my home for a rabbit even sounds crazy to me. But when you see that face and feel the love you feel, it didn't take me long to make the decision that Chase was more important then where we lived. I don't regret the choice I made. I am just sad that I couldn't come to an agreement with the mortgage company so that I could stay in the condo.

How do you say no to this face?

9715_232217_060000000.jpg

9715_232214_190000000.jpg

9715_232219_150000000.jpg

I posted this in Let your Hare Down since it was more about my personal issues then rabbits in general.

i am so sorry that you are gong through all this, i would like to say you are crazy but i totally see where you are coming from,lol. I am sorry that you were not able to come to some agreement with your mortgage company. Not alot of people would do what you did, and Chase sure is lucky to have you as a slave!!!!!!!

Thanks Fran, I hope my animals feel lucky to have me as a slave. I do really know I am crazy lol but I can't help it. I just can't end a life for a material thing. As much as it hurts me to lose my home, I will just keep looking at Chase's face and it makes it worth it for me.

Amy you are amazing. You really have a heart of gold. I commend you so highly for this.

I know it must be hard..but YOU DID make the right decision. I am sorry things didn't work out for you; but I am sure another condo will come later down the road. A house is replaceable; life is not. And it may be a "bunny life" that many people don't take into consideration, but we do, and it is the right thing to do.

Prayers and thoughts be with you!

Thanks Myia. All my animals are my babies and I would do anything I could for them. Your post really made me cry and feel better. You are so right. It doesn't matter if it is a bunny life or another life, life matters.

I think the thought of moving into a smaller place may seem really hard right now, but I am hoping once we get into it, we will all love it. Even if it is smaller, having a place to run and play is better then not having one and being PTS.

Thanks again Myia I really appreciate it.

i cant even begin to understand the stress and pain you're going through. To loose bits of peices of your life to Chase. But most people see them as pets...not a family member, not a child in-like. You do what you have to to keep them safe, healthy, and alive. kudos to you. i think you're doing the right thing, and if you think its right and it feels right then that is all that matters. the animals will adjust with time and in the end things always have a way of working out for the best

In the end you are choosing love, and that can never be a bad thing.

I hope that If I where ever in your position I would be able to make the same brave decisions that you have.

If it helps at all I feel you did the best you could do and made the right decision for you and your family. My critters are my children and I would like to think that I would also do what ever it takes to keep them safe.

The condo can be replaced. A home is what you make it and can be made in an owned or rented place. In time you won't even think about if you made the right choice or not.

Have you been able to start looking for a new place to live yet? The only thing I am wondering is how easy it is to find a place that allows pets. I haven't rented in many years so I'm not sure how easy it is to find a place to allow pets. I know in the past it was difficult.

Good luck to you and know that we are all thinking of you :hug:

Amy.....I'm so sorry your losing your home. But I would be doing the same thing you are doing. I, myself have gone into debt over my animal and spent thousands and thousands $$$. When you love your animals you will do anything for them.

Having your animals will make your new home a happy home. It sounds like it will all work out. Good Luck :)

Amy~ if you're crazy, then move over b/c you'll have a roommate(s) at the looney bin.

I'm sure some may not agree, including my family and friends, but my buns are my kids, my life and I would do anything for them. Hubby and I often joke about how we are on a budget dinner so the "kids" can eat good. In fact, we even sold some stocks to pay off their medical expenses.

I'm so sorry forthe situation you're in. I'm praying for a last minute miracle. I think Chase's got the greatest mommy! Thank you for saving his life. Good luck to you.

Heres how it works my friend,when you get a pet it is now part of your family and like your family they depend on you.Are you not able to get a better job?Or are you working,dont you have family that can help you out until your on your feet again?

Bill

Thank you all for the kind comments. They really made me feel better and a lot of you had really good points.

Maria, I have started to look for an apartment. So far all the places I have looked at having the animals was not a problem. Most places though I will have to put down extra money for a security deposit.

Bill, I don't have any family to help me out. When I grew up I only lived with my dad for a few years and then he left and we just got back in contact a few years ago and are not close. He doesn't even have a job. I don't talk to my mother, not that she could help me out. She always lived on welfare. I have some good friends that I call my family. I spend holidays with them and they have emotionally helped me out but I would never ask them to financially help me.

I do have a good job. But I was living pay check to pay check before Chase got sick. I just graduated college last month and so I am crossing my fingers that I can find a new job with my degree making more money. I just don't know if it will be soon enough to save my condo. My current job has made comments about promoting me because they don't want me to leave. But they haven't made an offer yet and I don't know when they are thinking about doing it.

Amy you just graduated a month ago and you have a job looking at a promotion.
Hey there young lady you have the world on a string. It takes years to get where you are so just hang in there start to budget your spending do without for a while until things get better.No more bunnys until things get better.
If we were related I would be your great grandfather.
1927247961595008130909.jpg

Thanks Bill you are sweet. I swear, sometimes friends can be the best family. It has been my friends who have taken off work to go to court and mediation with me.

You bringing up the job situation is making me think that maybe I need to mention the promotion again to my boss. I talked to her about it in April in my review and my review was great. I got 34 out of 35 points. Then about a week after I graduated I applied for an internal position but not under my boss that would have been a promotion and when my boss found out she freaked out. But not to me. She called my good friend in her office and was yelling and asking what the hell was going on. My friend told her, she graduated, what do expect. So my boss does know I am keeping my eyes open. If I talk to her though I will keep my personal financial situation out of. And just talk about how it would benefit the company to promote me. But I have doing that. But I am going to have to get some guts and do it. If it would save my condo, it would be worth it.

Amy, I'm sorry you're losing your condo. If I were in your situation, I would have done the same thing. There are lots of condos out there, but only one Chase.

I don't think you should feel bad about moving your animals to a smaller home. You will all adapt.

:hug2:

Thanks Beth. You are right, there is only one Chase.

You guys have made such great comments that have made me feel so much better. I think I am going to have to print this thread out and carry it in my purse. Then when I question my decision or feel bad about it. I can pull this out and read all the comments and the good points you guys have made.

I would much rather go into debt to save a pets life than to buy a big screen tv or a fancy car. The people who spend $5000 on a new tv every year because they need to next best thing will scold you for spending $500 on 'just a rabbit' that you could have for the next 5 or 10 years. You have Chase to give you a reason that will love you every day no matter where you live, what you drive or what kind of job you have. There will be other jobs and condos, but there is only one Chase.

Back