I lost Scooby

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG. I am just so very sorry. I can't believeit. He was such a lovely boy and he and Raph were getting along sowell. How is Raph ?

Please don't feel guilty - you were doing the right thing in having himneutered, and no-one could forsee this tradegy. I will be praying foryou and Raph. God Bless, Scooby!

Jan

OMG im so sorry!!! That is such horrible news!

When we got our dog done she stopped breathing, but luckily she cameround :(and we had to re schedule to a later date. Its notvery common to happen but it is so unfortunate that it had tbo happento Scooby. I am so upset for you.

When i got my rabbits spayed i had to sign a piece of paper agreeingthat if anything did go wrong, then i would understand that it wasntthe vets fault. It is a horrible experience. And now that I have heardabout Scooby it feels even more horribleabout signing that piece ofpaper, cos you realise that it can go wrong.

I am very sorry again to hear about this tragedy, and my heart goes out to you :pink iris:

xxxxxLindsayxxxxxx

I'm so sorry for your loss!!

Please try not to feel guilty about what happend, you had to have thesurgery for his own well being. I feel that sometimes as responsiblepet owners we get so involved in caring for our animals well being thatwhen they die it feels like we have somehow failed them. In the circleof life, there's a time for life and a time for death, and we havelittle control over any of it.

Big hugs!!

Megan

Thanks so very much everyone...I seem to havebeen taking this much harder than I would have expected. Scooby - who Iadopted on a spur-of-the-moment decision - truly was special. I can'tquite put my finger on it...when I got Raph I immediately felt a senseof connection, like I knew him. But with Scooby, my heart went out tohim for being at the Petsmart adoption center for so long, and so Itook him home. I didn't think that he would turn out to be one of those*special* animals that we allow into our hearts...you all must knowwhat I'm talking about. We love all of our animals, but there are a fewthat get into our hearts and stay firmly there. Scooby was one of thoseanimals.

He was very quiet, with the patience of a saint. Very personable littleguy. Over the last few months I found myself becoming closer to him,and was surprised to discover that I felt the same way about him as Ido about Raph...Raph, as you know, captured my heart completely.

Last evening I just finished constructing a new indoor pen in thebasement for the rabbits. I had brought the two of them in for thewinter, and had put up a temporary pen for them...which I discoveredwas not Raph-proof...hence Scooby's mishap last week. So I tore thatone down and made something more solid, and decided to let Scooby testit out. He was running back and forth, exploring all of the corners.The pen itself encompasses the two rabbits' cages, so Scooby was ableto run up to Raph and see him sitting in his cage. I watched him as hetried to get into the cage with Raph...apparently not remembering whathad happened to him last time...but when he discovered he couldn't getin, he pushed his head up to the bars of the cage. Raph pushed his nosethrough, and together they sat there and nuzzled one another. Theylooked so content at that moment, Raph and his little buddy, Scoobs.

When I fed them at dinner time, Scooby literally dove into his dish,devouring everything in sight. That was highly unusual for him, as hetends to be a fussy eater. But last night he was enjoying his dinnerimmensely, even the rabbit pellets, which he normally picks at timidly.Then this morning I put him in his carrier and he sat there so quietly,waiting for me to get ready. At the vet's I opened the cage door,hoping he would venture out, as I wanted to hold him and give him a hugbefore leaving. He was timid and wouldn't come out, though he did comeup to the doorway and peeked through, allowing me to scratch his nose.I was very apprehensive at this point, but dismissed the feelings andrefused to think about it again.

Then at 3:55 the phone call came. I was just getting ready to phone thevet to see how Scooby made out when his office called me. But as soonas I heard his voice, I knew. It sounded as if he was fighting backtears himself...he told me that they began the surgery okay, but asthey got into it Scooby began to have problems breathing. So theyfocused their attention on that, and for a few minutes he went back toregular, steady breathing. But a few moments later he went downhillagain, and the vet finally made the decision to stop the surgery. Butit was too late...they worked on him for 20 minutes, and Scooby didfight, but he just wasn't strong enough, and they lost him.

I keep reminding myself that everything happens for a reason. And I dobelieve it...but why this happened...I just don't know right now. Andyes, I have been beating myself up over it, even though I do know thattaking blame is futile. And I think it is hardest to accept right nowbecause...Scooby wasn't sick. He was perfectly healthy, eating andrunning around and playing. I think this sort of thing is easier toaccept if an animal has been ill for some time, and you know they needto let go. That's what makes it hard...knowing he was so full of life.

The funny thing is, for the past several weeks - whenever I would go tothe basement to play with the rabbits or feed them - as soon as I'd godown there I would feel an apprehensiveness, and I would immediatelycheck Scooby's cage first, to make sure I could see those little earsof his poking up. And one day last week as I went down there and caughtmyself doing that, I questioned why I was always feeling thatapprehension, and why it was always over Scooby...even though Raph wasthe one with health problems. It was as though I could sense somethingwas going to happen to him. However, in hindsight...we cannot alwaysact upon our intuition, or even understand it.

I wish I had taken a lot of pics of Scooby, but Raph was my camera-hog.I do want to post a couple of them that I do have though, in hismemory...I will put them in the Rainbow Bridge thread. Never thought Iwould be putting Scoob's picture there, at least not for a very longtime.

Thanks so much everyone, for your support and prayers. This has been atough day, but in allowing me to talk about him, and in reading all ofyour kind words, you have helped immensely.

~Di

I cried as I read your last post.

My heart is just aching for you!!

I have read your posts and you were a great mom to him.

He was a happy boy. You gave him a joyous life. Bless you for that dear.

So many rabbits have miserable lives being unwanted. He was as blessed to have you as you were to have him.:pray:

I'm crying with you, Dear Heart.

:bigtears: :bigtears: :bigtears:

The minute we adopt them, they are a part of us. Just like Raspberrytold Stephanie who is pregnant, all of the sudden, you'll know the baby- and that happens before the little one is born.

Can't speak for others, but I cried as hard for Skip, a rabbit I hadadopted from a pet store and lived only for 2 short weeks with me, as Idid for Cypress, a cat that traveled with me for 14 years.

Once you give your heart to your new baby, you give it your WholeHeart, not just a part. I don't think it matters much whether you havean animal for 2 weeks or 12 years. In some ways, I think it's harderbecause in 12 years, you knew their personality, got to see themexperience life. In 2 weeks, you're just starting out.

Both are Horrible, no matter how you cut it.

Our hearts break with you, Bassetluv. We know your pain, and it's so hard to know your suffering.

Thank you for taking the time to stop in. I know it's not easy.

Love,
-Carolyn

Your post about Scooby made me cry.One of my bridge bunnies, Spot, was only with me for 2 months beforeshe passed from an abcess. It doesn't take long to becomeattached to the little furries. I'm so sorry aboutScooby. I think it's worse when it's so unexpected.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Whether our bunnieshave been with us for a few weeks or a few years, we still get attachedto them and its very hard to lose a bun.

Oh Bassetluv - don't blame yourself. You are a great rabbit owner and were only doing the best for Scooby.

:purplepansy:

Bassetluv, OMG I am so sorry you lost your babyin this way, so unexpectedly. Its our wost fear whenananimalgoes for their neutering, we always fear the worst but9 times out of 10 everything is fine.I'm just so sorry thatit happened to Scooby.

Loosing our precious bunnies is so painful and I'm so sorry that you are going through it now.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Vickie

I just read this and I am really sorry to hearit. You should not feel guilty though, we have to have themneutered for their own health. You were just doing what anyresponsible pet owner does. Everyone knows there are risks with surgerybut we never expect it to happen to our ownanimals. I know its hard to lose themsuddenly. I had a litle netherland dwarf who died suddenlywhen she was about six months old and I was worried maybe I didsomething wrong to lose her so early. But if you really look in yourheart you will find that somewhere, in spite of the doubts you know youdid your best for them and that it wasgoing to happenanywayfor whatever reason. It was his time togo, so I am glad that he found a home and someone to love himbefore he went, instead of having his last few months in theshelter. I think the same intuition that told you he wasgoing somewhere also made you bring him home that day and you should beso glad you did.

Back