I have problems with my family

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put a piece of cardboard/wood/plastic over the hole to stop the hamster from getting in. And if you can't find him, put a pile of food in the corner of the room, and wait til he comes out.
Anyway, about the rabbit problem . . Parents tend to moan about alot, especially when you have pets. You have to make them see that you care for this rabbit alot, show them how sweet your bun can be, so it's no longer 'that stinky rabbit'. I'm 19, and when I brought my two bunnies home,my mumwent mental, but now she adores them. They also chew the walls (and have taken some plaster off) and tend to dig at the carpets, but when they do this, I distract them with toys or a loud noise. Your rabbit will soon learn not to chew at things.
Make sure he/she has fresh hay and water, along with her pellets.

magicapple...I am much older than you but I do understand parents who are not "animal "people but people who are concerned about "the house", "the furniture", "the wall" etc. I think that these people do not understand the relationship between a pet and its owner. I, like You, am more concerned about the animal than the stuff surrounding it. I think ,however, you could arrange a situation like I have here. I have six house rabbits in one room and they are not caged but each has a fairly large area to run and play, They are confined in magic pens which are about 3 ft. high and are large. enough for my bunnies to be happy. ..they cannot chew cords, wires ,walls etc but they do have plenty of toys to play with in each area. You may consider looking at dog pens which are sold at chain pet stores and fairly costly. Maybe you could save your money or ask for them for a birthday or holiday. In other words your bunny would have space but not have free run of your room. Your bunny area needs to be swept and cleaned every day as bunnies are messy. Make sure that you add good quality timothy hay to his diet and also some veggies. My husband cannot stand my rabbits being free-roam because they do chew the wood work etc. I have to respect that as he has done most of the work in the house himself. He has not said much about the bunnies since they are confined because they don't ruin anything. Hope that this helps you. :D

queenadreena wrote:
Just put a piece of cardboard/wood/plastic over the hole to stop the hamster from getting in. And if you can't find him, put a pile of food in the corner of the room, and wait til he comes out.
Anyway, about the rabbit problem . . Parents tend to moan about alot, especially when you have pets. You have to make them see that you care for this rabbit alot, show them how sweet your bun can be, so it's no longer 'that stinky rabbit'. I'm 19, and when I brought my two bunnies home,my mumwent mental, but now she adores them. They also chew the walls (and have taken some plaster off) and tend to dig at the carpets, but when they do this, I distract them with toys or a loud noise. Your rabbit will soon learn not to chew at things.
Make sure he/she has fresh hay and water, along with her pellets.
I just saw my rabbit eatting the wall. And then I quickly put my rabbit into it's cage. I don't think I can leave it out of it's cage anymore but the cage I have for it is small. So I guess i'll have to built it a new soon. :constructionProbably near the end of the summer cuz I have school and stuff.But the really bad thing about putting my rabbit in it's cage is that it likes to jump around a lot in it and it makes it very hard for me to sleep tonight. :bigtears:

angieluv wrote:
magicapple...I am much older than you but I do understand parents who are not "animal "people but people who are concerned about "the house", "the furniture", "the wall" etc. I think that these people do not understand the relationship between a pet and its owner. I, like You, am more concerned about the animal than the stuff surrounding it. I think ,however, you could arrange a situation like I have here. I have six house rabbits in one room and they are not caged but each has a fairly large area to run and play, They are confined in magic pens which are about 3 ft. high and are large. enough for my bunnies to be happy. ..they cannot chew cords, wires ,walls etc but they do have plenty of toys to play with in each area. You may consider looking at dog pens which are sold at chain pet stores and fairly costly. Maybe you could save your money or ask for them for a birthday or holiday. In other words your bunny would have space but not have free run of your room. Your bunny area needs to be swept and cleaned every day as bunnies are messy. Make sure that you add good quality timothy hay to his diet and also some veggies. My husband cannot stand my rabbits being free-roam because they do chew the wood work etc. I have to respect that as he has done most of the work in the house himself. He has not said much about the bunnies since they are confined because they don't ruin anything. Hope that this helps you. :D
Thx. I'll see what I can do becuz I hate leaving my rabbit in it's cage.

I fully agree with angieluv. That's what I am doing with my buns. I start college next month, and I know it's going to be hard to have 2-3 hours to sit there and supervise them running around the room. So, I am buying 2 "extra tall" dog pens, and linking them together to create one long, large bunny run. In doing this, the bunnies can run and play and have all the out time they want while I am home.

This way, they can have out of cage time while I'm studying without me having to sit in a chair and stair at them. :shock:

Playpens rock! You should definitely save up and get one, it'll be a great way for your bunny to run around your room without destroying the walls (which trust me, I know the feeling! Harper is some mischevious!)

IMG_0229.jpg

if you look at the coner you can see that my rabbit chewed on the wall. I'm not a big fan of the wall or the floor or anything. But I'm also not really into getting yelled by my parents. Oo yea I found something used full. So that coner right now is being cover by a piece of kinda flat wood. I think it'll be aright right now. The thing about the play pen the walls are made from grids I think. My rabbit can probably bite through the holes if I place the wall against my wall. Anyway not sure if you get it though but I kinda have the situation under control a lido.

I'm such a doof too! I never even thought about playpens till I came on this board! Am I slow or WHAT! I used to let Harper run around the kitchen, and every 2 seconds, I was going "No Harper, don't chew the table leg!" "No Harper, don't chew the recliner!" "No Harper, don't chase the cat!" Jeeeesh!

Playpens are great. I have 3 smaller ones (Harper can jump if left unsupervised, otherwise he stays in it like a good boy) that I link together. Combined, they take up about 3/4 of my bedroom, which is a master bedroom. So he has a good bit of space to play.

I figure when I start college, I will invest in the tall pens as I mentioned. These will be great, as I can turn my back on them to study without worrying about them jumping thegate. Iwon't feelguilty about not letting them have out of cage time either. This worried me about starting college -- not having enough time to let the buns out to play. Playpens will take care of that! I can even study sitting in the pens with them! :D

This is also why I adopted Haley. Harper was used to being my only bun, and having all my attention. Come college, that won't be the case anymore, as I will be in class during the day. I knew it wouldn't be fair, and was not about to let him be lonely or miserable, he's my baby! So, that's why I got Haley. I knew he'd be so much happier with a friend!

magicapple wrote:
if you look at the coner you can see that my rabbit chewed on the wall. I'm not a big fan of the wall or the floor or anything. But I'm also not really into getting yelled by my parents. Oo yea I found something used full. So that coner right now is being cover by a piece of kinda flat wood. I think it'll be aright right now. The thing about the play pen the walls are made from grids I think. My rabbit can probably bite through the holes if I place the wall against my wall. Anyway not sure if you get it though but I kinda have the situation under control a lido.
Beautiful bunny you have!

Just move the pen a few inches from the wall, that way the rabbit can't have access to the wall to chew it.

magicapple wrote:
My rabbit can probably bite through the holes if I place the wall against my wall.
my rabbits tried to chew my wallsthrough the nic cubes.. i went and bought a science board (cardboard) and they just chew on it now

Cinnabunny loves to chew that part of my house as well. I rubbed a bar of Ivory soap on the edges of the walls and molding. She took one lick and has stayed away from them ever since. I have since added Ivory soap to many wood areas to keep her from chewing them. The Ivory soap does leave a white residue at first. It is only soap so it disappears quickly.

My husband fixed a "rabbit room" for my six bunnies. He said "keep the pens a couple inches from the wall (which I have done) and so far they are enjoying the room and haven't destroyed anything.

Ivory soap helps me too!

But you really should be watching your bun when he's out of his cage. If he starts to chew on something he shouldn't, clap your hands and say no. If he still tries, say no and then shoo him away. He will learn, but you'll have to watch him closely so he doesn't just learn to chew behind your back.

my advise.. which i dont have time to read everyone elses so i hope im not repeating.. sorry if i am.

My dad.. wow i had to convince him my whole life (im 16) just to get something like a rabbit. the only reason he let me was because i was crying the night before when i watched my hamster died :(, and he felt bad.

then few days later he started complaining about the littlest things.. it smells different... do you have a refund on the rabbit. how much does food cost, can he escape?

i got so sick of it, and i wasnt going to let Copper go. so when my parents are at work, a lot of times i clean the house a bit, sweep floors, vaccuum. but i expecially make sure, my rabbit cage is clean, and all around him, i spray febreese by him, to make it smell good, and when ever he's out i make sure he never does anything to the carpet and if he pees i use carpet cleaners to get it out. My dad hasnt bugged me for weeks about it. As long as your parents see how the house will stay clean with the rabbit there, and wont change their life style too much.. everything will be ok.

picklezon wrote:
but i expecially make sure, my rabbit cage is clean, and all around him, i spray febreese by him, to make it smell good
Watch sprayng that around him, rabbit's are sensitive to some deodorizers, whch can irritate their lungs.

"Animal Poison Control Center Toxicology Bulletins: Febreze Fabric Refresher Update
Friday, January 11, 2002
ASPCA considers Febreze safe in households with dogs and cats when used as directed.
[align=right] style="font-size: 80%;"Contact: ASPCA Media Relations
(212) 876 7700 ext. 4655
[/align] FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

(New York) January 11, 2002 -- Febreze has recently been granted the ASPCA Seal of Approval as a pet-related product that meets The Society's standards of quality, general safety and usefulness. Based on a thorough review by veterinary toxicologists at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, together with other outside experts, the ASPCA considers Febreze[sup][size="-1"]TM[/size][/sup] safe in households with dogs and cats when used as directed. Contrary to rumors being spread over the Internet, The ASPCA knows of no substantiated evidence that the use of Febreze has caused the death of any dogs or cats.
Febreze earned the ASPCA Seal of Approval after a review in which ASPCA staff evaluated data on the product and its ingredients and determined it was safe to use as directed in households with dogs and cats. The data reviewed also suggest that Febreze is safe to use as directed in households with ferrets, rabbits and rodents. Because of their unique respiratory physiology, the ASPCA recommends that birds be removed from rooms when spraying any household cleaning product until the area is fully ventilated. Due to a lack of data about Febreze's interaction with pets other than dogs, cats, ferrets, rabbits and rodents, those other animals should be removed from the room when the product is being used."

i read somewhere that fabreeze kills birds.

so i wouldnt spray that anywhere near the buns.

everyone is giving you good advice magicapple! listen to them im sure it will work out.

i spray air febreeze its never on him more by his cage stand... and when i spray it he's usually running around my room.

but ya.. i think if you convince your parents that you are responsible enough.. and even offer to work around the house, they cant complain.

Latest posts

Back