I have problems with my family

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magicapple

Reaction score
I can't stand it anymore. everyday my mom and dad talks about the rabbit. Saying mostly the same thing like "most of your room go to your rabbit, what a waste" or "why you bother to take care of this rabbit when you can't even take care of yourself" Or they go complaining about how the rabbit ate the wall and mess up the floor. My mother really likes the home. It's kinda newly made. And she is really upset about it. Omg, its like they are the one who said I can buy it and now they complaining to me. I did ask them and my parents are like talking about the rabbit. They even thought about me giving the rabbit away. It's getting more and more annoying with their complains. It's always rabbit this, rabbit that and so on. And my family complains about how messy my room is or how it smells. I don't get them, if it smells or bother them so much why do they spend most of their time in my room. I really need help. I can't handle the complains anymore. I just had a really big fight with my family about my room and now I don't really want to get into another one.:bigtears:What should I do? I really don't know. I don't want to give the rabbit away but I don't want to listen to their complains everyday.

I am so sorry magicapple. I think that lots of people on Rabbits Only can help make your rabbit less distructive and less smelly. If your parents can see if you are trying, then that should help.

First, dump out the litter box everyday. What kind of litter are you using? Also, clean out the litter box with some vinegar. That will help with the smell. I've heard that rabbits who only eat pellets smell more. What does Mario eat?

If Mario chews the walls and thin you can spray perfume on the areas she likes to chew and that might stop her. Rabbits don't like the smell.

I am sure that others will have more suggestions for you. There are a lot of experienced rabbit people here.

:D

Sorry to hear that magicapple... I'm 22 and living by myself, but I know my parents would still disapprove of me having rabbits! That's just the way parents are, I'm afraid...

The best thing you can do is try to get your bunny to be less destructive and smell less, like Jenni said.

Cleaning out daily helps. If you've got a litter box, this job is made ten times easier.

To stop him from being destructive, buy him lots of toys and things that he CAN chew - that way, he'll be more interested in them than in chewing the walls!

Sit down with your parents and let them know that it hurts you when they make disparaging comments about your rabbit.

You also need to understand their point of view of how they must feel when the rabbit damages walls and flooring.

Discuss with them some optionsfor improving the situation that you can both agree on.

Pam

Well, honestly, this seems to be a plea much like the last one. It's as if you want the board to give you their blessing in giving up this rabbit. It's one you really don't need, but have been seeking since you've arrived here, with various reasons put forth. From the bunny being ugly to your parents being upset with you about the smell and the fact that a young rabbit tends to be destructive.

I have no doubt that the members of this board will be able to give you suggestion upon suggestion about how to keep your rabbit from being as destructive or rechannel the destructiveness toward something that is all right to be destroyed. I know that they can give you tips on how to reduce the smell. We can make you feel better about the looks of your rabbit.

What we can't do is make you want to keep this bunny. You fight it at every point. If you sincerely think you cannot give this rabbit the love and care that it needs for whatever reasons you put forth, please contact a rescue society or find a suitable adoptive family for your rabbit so it can enjoy the rest of its life with someone who loves it.

What bothers me more, is the fact that I can predict what will happen weeks, months, or even a year down the line. You will profess to have worked things out with your parents, made the changes in your life to be a wonderful bunny parent, and you'll appear again, with a rabbit just as adorable as the one you have now, but "not ugly" in your eyes.

Instead of that, why not use this opportunity to be the best bunny mom you can be. Really take the advice all these wonderful people are giving you, rather than figuring out another way to argue against it so you can get our approval in giving up on this rabbit.

i am a bit of a neat freak. i have two buns and they live in our living room. they are not smelly. do you have a litter pan for the bunny? i use yesterdays new litter, i change my box, and rinse it out daily. our buns are fairly young, yet almost completely litter trained. they haven't started chewing, but i give them apple branches, dried willow branches etc to keep them entertained. i think as a parent, if i saw my child making a real effort, cleaning their room, taking care of the bun i would let them keep it. is your room pretty clean other then the bunny area? maybe if you show you are organized and responsible they will see you are capable of keeping the bunny? i have children close to your age, they usually fuss when it comes to animal box cleaning etc. be completely honest w/ youself. are you cleaning the box often enough?

I can understand where you're coming from. My parents were like that, too. Let me ask you a few questions:

- What kind of litter do you use?

- How often do you clean the litterbox?

- Is your bunny spayed/neutered?

- How old is your bunny?

The answers will let us be able to help you with your difficulties, and probably make the situation more bearable for you and for your parents. I know, it's difficult being under someone else's roof and having to listen to their opinions about things, especially when it is ultimately their decision. I've never agreed to parents holding that aspect over their kids' heads (my mother did that), but at the same time, they're your parents and you don't have much option at this point, other than to try to compromise a bit so that all involved can relax and be happier.

I would recommend NOT getting into arguments about it with them anymore, but instead doing everything you can to cut costs for your bun, and making the room you live in much more bearable for them.

As far as litter, wood pellet litter (which you can find REALLY cheap at a feed store for horses...it's called horse stall wood pellet bedding) is really the best litter there is, both for absorption and odor control. My bunnies each have two litterboxes (which are small kitty litter boxes, rectangular), which I clean out every other day (and would clean out everyday if they only had one box). If your bunny isn't spayed/neutered, I would recommend asking them to get a piece of indoor/outdoor carpeting, or some such, for your bunny to be on while he/she's out, so that if she "goes" outside her litterbox, it's not directly on the flooring they have. Also, bring her litterbox out when she's out, and if she pees outside her box, soak up the pee with a papertowel, and put the papertowel (and her) in her litterbox. She'll soon get the idea. You just have to be sure to be REALLY stubborn about it, and if she insists on peeing outside the box, third time's a charm, and put her back in her cage. Believe me, she'll learn. That's how I taught Maisie...and she's VERY stubborn. I don't have to even bring her litterbox out of the cage anymore when I let her out...she hops back into the cage to "go" when she needs to.

As far as the wallpaper...I'm not terribly experienced in keeping bunnies from doing things like that. Maisie is really good about listening (Flower's still learning, but doesn't really do anything wrong). Maisie can tell by the way I say her name that I'm not happy, and stops doing what she's doing wrong. Clapping and saying your bun's name sternly helps. This is what I did with Maisie. Ooh...one thing I've read is if you take Ivory soap (barsoap, not liquid) and rub it on the places you don't want your bunny to chew, they don't like it, and won't chew it. Give that a shot. Surely your parents won't object to buying cheap ol' Ivory. It shouldn't discolor the wallpaper, and from what I've heard, really works well. :)

Over all, just try to meet your parents in the middle a bit with this, okay? I know it's not very nice the way they're acting, but you have to find some way to compromise until you are old enough, and have the financial means, to move out and have your own space. I know it's hard...like I said, I've very much been there. Just know that here you have people that care, and we're here for you. :)

Let us know how things work out, ok? :)

Jenni wrote:
I am so sorry magicapple. I think that lots of people on Rabbits Only can help make your rabbit less distructive and less smelly. If your parents can see if you are trying, then that should help.

First, dump out the litter box everyday. What kind of litter are you using? Also, clean out the litter box with some vinegar. That will help with the smell. I've heard that rabbits who only eat pellets smell more. What does Mario eat?

If Mario chews the walls and thin you can spray perfume on the areas she likes to chew and that might stop her. Rabbits don't like the smell.

I am sure that others will have more suggestions for you. There are a lot of experienced rabbit people here.

:D
What happen if the rabbit tastes the perfume? And my rabbit eats pelets and vegetable and some fruit. I clean the litter box once a day and I use some kinda of soap to clean it.

Elf Mommy wrote:
Well, honestly, this seems to be a plea much like the last one. It's as if you want the board to give you their blessing in giving up this rabbit. It's one you really don't need, but have been seeking since you've arrived here, with various reasons put forth. From the bunny being ugly to your parents being upset with you about the smell and the fact that a young rabbit tends to be destructive.

I have no doubt that the members of this board will be able to give you suggestion upon suggestion about how to keep your rabbit from being as destructive or rechannel the destructiveness toward something that is all right to be destroyed. I know that they can give you tips on how to reduce the smell. We can make you feel better about the looks of your rabbit.

What we can't do is make you want to keep this bunny. You fight it at every point. If you sincerely think you cannot give this rabbit the love and care that it needs for whatever reasons you put forth, please contact a rescue society or find a suitable adoptive family for your rabbit so it can enjoy the rest of its life with someone who loves it.

What bothers me more, is the fact that I can predict what will happen weeks, months, or even a year down the line. You will profess to have worked things out with your parents, made the changes in your life to be a wonderful bunny parent, and you'll appear again, with a rabbit just as adorable as the one you have now, but "not ugly" in your eyes.

Instead of that, why not use this opportunity to be the best bunny mom you can be. Really take the advice all these wonderful people are giving you, rather than figuring out another way to argue against it so you can get our approval in giving up on this rabbit.
What everyone here is suggesting I already am doing for the pass few months since I got my rabbit. The thing is if my parents really don't like the rabbit they can just make things up to complain about. I think what I really need to know is how to deal with my parents and their complains.

These are the things i'm already doing with my rabbit.

I change the litter box once a day.

I clean the rabbit area every 3 days. (my rabbit area is the coner of my room)

I feed my rabbti pelets everyday, and either fruit or vegie everyday.

I comb it once in a while and I also use dry small animal shampoo which has cucmber melon smell.

I aready am keeping my room nice and clean. I don't know why they complaining so much.

Anyway after that big fight I had with my family they didn't really bother to complain. So i'm safe for now. I don't think they want to get into another big arguement with me.

I'm going to try the perfume idea.

Oh yea another thing. My rabbit likes to kick the care fresh litter out of the litter box. Does that mean i put in too much? How much litter do I put in each time?

You can put a cake rack, like the kind used to cool cookies on, in the litter box just on top of the litter and that will keep your rabbit from digging out its litter box.

:)

If you just spray some of the perfume on the area, the smell should keep the rabbit from licking it.

If she does lick it, she probably won't get enough to hurt her. My rabbit has never licked the places that I spray.

hun, its not as difficult as you are making it. change your litter to woody pet, scoop it daily. every three days clean the box with vinager. use urin gaurds to help keep hay in the cage. you NEED to been feeding hay to your bunny.

sometimes it doesnt seem like you are even trying! go to www.rabbit.org and read EVERYTHING on it. dont worry about bunny tasteing the purfume. if you are scared of that you can use ivory soap or bitter apple spray.

talk with your parents, TRY to come to a conclusion to them. i dont understand why your bunny stinks. i have two and NO odor. also as your rabbit gets older and sexually altered it will probably stop chewing up your walls and carpet, etc.

if this sounds to hard for you, find the rabbit a good home. its not as difficult as you are making it.

buy grass mats in the mean time to put places where your bunny is being distructive. you can find many many diffrent ideas if you just do a google search or go to www.rabbit.org

how long does the perfume smell last? Do i have to spay it everyday? I used to use woody litter, but I like care fresh more becuz it has no smell and it absorbs the pee.

hmmm i use yesterdays news, and clean it daily i don't get odors. my buns themselves never stink.

You can put a cake rack, like the kind used to cool cookies on, in the litter box just on top of the litter and that will keep your rabbit from digging out its litter box.
this is a good idea, i may need to try it.

is your room very hot/warm? i notice when i don't have teh airconditioning on (power went out) i could smell some of my animals.:?

I wouldn't use perfume on the new carpet. It can discolor the carpet, is difficult to remove and may cause respiratory problems for both you and the rabbit.

Pam

I'm sure my response may come across wrong - but here goes....(I'm sorry - I haven't read any of your other posts).

If your rabbit is being DESTRUCTIVE & chewing on the walls and baseboard or stuff like that - then I have to say that I agree with your parents that something needs to be done.

I've got to admit we've had some damage done in our rabbitry by our free-roaming rabbits. It makes me sad now that I allowed it to happen....I didn't notice it at first.

We can fix it - don't get me wrong. But I'm guessing it will have lowered the value of the property a bit...I don't know.

So I can see your parent's point if the rabbit is chewing on the walls or furniture and is destroying things.

Do they see how you're taking care of the rabbit? Would it help if you made up a daily/weekly cleaning chart and checked it off every day (like you see sometimes on the back of restroom doors at some restaurants...where they initial the jobs they did to straighten up the restroom or something?). Maybe if they KNEW for sure you were doing things daily - that would help.

I understand that rabbits are going to smell - and you've had some great advice about switching to Woody Pet, etc. M concern is less over the smell than it is the damage a rabbit can do...

Peg

I didn't have to spray it everyday. She stopped chewing that spot, once she decided that it didn't smell good and hasn't gone back.

You might need to spray it regulary until she forget about the area.

magicapple wrote:
how long does the perfume smell last? Do i have to spay it everyday? I used to use woody litter, but I like care fresh more becuz it has no smell and it absorbs the pee.

:shock2:My rabbit bit the coner of the floor and I think there is a little hole. I moved my litter box on top of the hole so my parents won't see it. Do anyone here know to to fix the floor? Oo yea my hamster escapes from it's hamster home. I notice there is a hole. What can I use to block the hole?

Latest posts

Back