I hate this!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
I'm so sad cause last night I was holding Bo and his nails had gotten really long. I have been trimming them but slowly trying to move the quick back on his back feet.

So, I was trimming and he fusses..... and suddenly he jerked and I'm not sure if I cut his toenail too short or if he broke one on the other foot (he had blood all over him and me!) by kicking the clippers or what..... but..... :tears2:

He was panting and scared and I felt so bad!

Does anyone know:

• Is it really painful for them?
  • Is it really dangerous?
  • What should I do for that toenail now if anything?

You should buy a container of Quik Stop Styptic Powder and have it close by when cutting their nails.

My bunny, Dutch, partially ripped a toenail out late one night jumping on his cage. My fiance was screaming because his foot was covered in blood and he was hopping around spraying blood all over the kitchen. He thought he'd broken his leg. Once I was able to contain the rabbit and use a white paper towel to soak up his foot and inspect the problem, I realized he had ripped the toenail partially out. I immediately applied a generous amount of Quick Stop Powder. I let him hop around and kept checking his foot with a clean paper towel every few minutes to see if it had stopped bleeding. The Powder worked great. He now has a permanently damaged toenail, but the vet said not to worry and Dutch doesn't seem to even notice he has a bad nail.

Also, I used Quick Stop when cutting my dog's nails. It usually only takes a small amount. You can dip their nail in the container or put some on your finger and apply it to the nail. Just make sure if you use very much on the bunny that he doesn't lick it. If your bunny has black nails you might get someone to hold a flashlightbehind the nail which helps light up the nail to better clip and miss the quick.

I've had some before. This is only the 2nd time in 4 years I've done this to Bo, and Clover broke her own one time. I need to replace the quickstop....... but I used flour.

My son went and got a handful and I just put it on me where Bo's foot was.... we made a mess but that's ok! I just wanted to help him.

Today he's as fiesty and rotten as ever..... LOL! but I just hate that I sort of hurt him :(

In a pinch corn starch works too.Just thought I would add this in case it happens to someone else and they don't have styptic powder.

tort wrote:
In a pinch corn starch works too.Just thought I would add this in case it happens to someone else and they don't have styptic powder.
I've also read that you can drag the nail through a bar of soap. I'm not entirely certain how well it works (and if a bun might ingest it), but just in case one's out of other options...

Jenk

Jenk wrote:
tort wrote:
I've also read that you can drag the nail through a bar of soap. I'm not entirely certain how well it works (and if a bun might ingest it), but just in case one's out of other options...

Jenk
In my textbook, they say to apply a drop of dishsoap or cornstarch. :)It's a lot more scary han it actually being dangerous. It's dangerous for birds however. :hug:Hugs to you and Bo.

Aww, poor BO and poor you. Glad he's recovered.

I've nicked Basil's but nothing that bled that much. He seemed fine within minutes. I, on the other hand, still haven't recovered and I may take him to the vet next time and let them charge me $14.

Morgie ripped his toenail out a few weeks ago and was bleeding all over. I put Quik stuff on it and he was fine...he was so scared, though!

Talk about toes and blood.....Nakie Ralphie and Louie (my rattie boys) had a scuffle the other night and Ralph bit Louie's toe really bad and there was blood EVERY WHERE and he bled for so long. I read up and I guess it is very common for the toes of rat's to bleed like crazy after and injury. I was so scared....I thought Ralph had bitten his toe right off!

Oh NO! not the ratties?! I would freak and fear they would die of blood loss! Bo's toe bled really bad but quit real fast too.

We did find the toe was on the foot I wasn't trimming! He must have just hit it and broke it off as he was trying to get away from me.....

Bo B Bunny wrote:
  • Is it really painful for them?
    I heard its pretty much like getting a cut for a human.
  • Is it really dangerous?
    not if the bleeding is stopped quickly
  • What should I do for that toenail now if anything?
    Just keep checking up on it and make sure the bleeding stops. He probably wont notice after an hour

If you are having trouble with soft toe nails, you might want to get a new trimmer. Your trimmer might be a little dull and will not cut the nail as cleanly as you would like. I recently replaced my trimmer because nails were spitting, and the difference is amazing. Glad I realized the trimmer was dull before I did too much damage.

I also hope you are not using the guillotine type of trimmer. Those tend to put all of the pressure on one side of the nail, whereas, a scissor type of trimmer will put equal pressure on both sides. Just a little tip....

myheart

You know they aren't splitting from me, but cracking I think cause they got long. I'm trying to trim them back about every week or every other week to move the quick back but he broke the one that bled... :(

I hate nail trimming time too.. =[

But im sure Bo is okay =] i think :p

I dnt know much about this but i think teh other members has got it sorter :)

Prisca:pinkbouce:

Jenk wrote:
tort wrote:

Jenk
It does work. Ive used it for dogs on a few occasions. Dont know about safety for rabbits though.

Latest posts

Back