I had to decide: Operation VS waiting...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse_chalk

Reaction score
Soo... I'm sure some of you will remember that I had surgery about 6 weeks ago (that long already?!), on my back- a pilonidal abscess. I was told at the time that this likely wouldn't fix the problem long term, and I would need another 'more definitive procedure' in the future. They originally wanted to wait 3 months before referring me but that was just too long for me so with my private healthcare I arranged to see a consulant privately yesterday.

His opinion was that I could either wait and see if I heal now from the previous surgery, and hope that it doesn't come back again, but I've been doing that now for the past 6/7 years after 6 surgeries, and it hasn't worked so far! The other option is to go for further surgery, PAINFUL surgery. I wont go into gory details unless anyone wants to, but it basically involves moving skin from the nearby area over the wound and stitching it all up. Apparently there's about an 80-85% success rate of it staying healed up for good and the abscess/sinus not returning ever again... Well, I like the sound of that!

I had to weigh up the inevitable severe pain, plus 2/3 whole weeks of not being able to sit, or walk around much at all, VS it possibly healing up, and possibly not coming back... But then I thought that right now I can't work anyway, due to my other health issue, so I have the time (so to speak) to recover properly. Plus, what if I did nothing and then it came back in a year or so, when I have a new job/animal care course I want to do, and it messes things up then? Plus I have the healthcare to do it privately now, where they would keep me in hospital for 3-4 days to make sure I was healing properly, whereas on the NHS I'd have to wait months for it to be done, and most likely sent home after 1-2 days.

So, I decided to go for it andmy date for surgery at the moment is 2nd April!! :shock:I'll be in for 3-4 days, will be on lots of pain relief thankfully (something I was worried about), and my mum and Steve will have to do a lot of looking after me, if they aren't bored of that already lol!

I'm TERRIFIED of such a big operation and what if it doesn't work etc, but I think I need to give it the best shot of healing completely while I still can...

Now I just really need to find me some bunny pyjamas or something to go into hospital with lol :p

Jen xx

P.s I did find a forum for people who suffer with these pilonidal abscesses/sinuses, and posted there, but they obviously aren't as friendly as you lot as I've not had one reply yet lol!

I hope this works! I know whatever they did to my niece has helped but she still gets sore now and then and it's been awhile.

Painful - YES.... and you will need help.

Keep us posted as to what is going on.

I would have chosen the surgery too but sheesh, I am so sorry you have to deal with this :?On the other hand if you get to get nice bunny pjs... Lol j/k. Seriously, I hope it will all be worth it in the end. Surgery terrifies me :?Not that I need it... But just the thought of it...

Good luck! And omg, that was quick :?I hope you have time to prepare mentally. My best friend is waiting for a hysterectomy and she is all prepared mentally and then they cancel on her. How freakin annoying :grumpy:I hope it goes smoothly for you :rose:

You definately have all our support! I understand why you choose the surgery option, and I would have too. I hope this works out. I am waiting to have surgery too, but it's a big operation here with dozens of critters needing my daily care. :shock:I am glad you will be well taken care of you have lots of friends here to help pass the recovery time! I truly hope this goes well and you get some relief. You sound just like me! a good pair of jammies is the first thing I ever think of - and if they have bunnies on them - PERFECT! :biggrin2:

Thanks for all your support guys! :hug:

Yeah, I'm definately sure I'm doing the right thing.... I think, lol. I guess I'm just really worried about all the pain and stuff... but now is the time to do it.

I guess you'll see me on here a LOT more than usual after theop, as long as I can work out how to use my laptop whilst lying down LOL! :pBut I'm sure you've got some moaning to come.... Sorry in advance!

Ms Binky, I kind of wish I didn't have the time to prepare- I've now got 2 weeks to look at horror stories on the internet, and worry about it!

And Trailsend, the reason I need pyjamas is cos I never normally wear them lol, just a t-shirt or something to bed, so I'm gonna need something a little more substantial for a hospital! Can't seem to find any bunny ones though...:(

Thanks again guys, I'll be sure to keep you updated!

Ugh! Poor Jen! I would have chosen the surgery too. I'm sorry to hear you'll be miserable for so long :( Will they be able to get you some good pain meds? If I were closer, I would come over to help cheer you up and care for the bunnies! I know this surgery will be a big one, but hopefully it will be the LAST one and you will be all healed afterwards! You certainly deserve it.

I hope this procedure works out well for you. Given the options and information that you have, I think you definitely made the right choice.

Oh Sweetie...I REALLY hope everything goes perfectly and you never, ever have to worry about this again. It would be nice for you to be able to live out your life without that pain anymore...

I'll be praying...:hug:

And YES...keep us updated, ok?

We love you!!

Rosie*

Gosh I hope they will give me the right drugs lol! I think I'll definately get morphine, and my mum's a nurse so if she thinks I need more, she'll have no problem telling them to give me more lol! I might enquire about having 'gas and air' if necessary, which I think is entinox? Might have spelt that wrong! I just know that in my previous ops the nurses have said 'ooh you should be getting gas and air in this much pain!' but the anaethestist has to write it up, so I'm gonna ask him before hand to write it up in case I think!

I just want people to know though, that I have nothing against the treatment that the NHS provides!Some people I tell that I'm going in privately automatically think I'm being snobby or that I'm super rich! It's just that I have the private healthcare through work for free so I might aswell use it and get treated quickly, and leave the NHS beds for someone who really needs them. I have had a fewbad experiences in an NHS hospital, but these have mainly been down to the staff being overstretched and there not being enough room, never down to the staff taking care of me. In fact my mum is an NHS nurse! :D

When I was in hospital last month, the nurse who looked after me in recovery had to put up with my rambling for ages. I told her about my dizziness and how I was likely to lose my job etc and she was really sympathetic, and when she took me back up to the ward, she came over and said 'I just want to say that I really hope it all works out for you, and I'm sorry that you're having such a rough time with work and everything, but you never know, it might open all sorts of doors for you. It's been a pleasure to meet you'. And then I just cried! :tears2:

Oh and Shiloh, if you can't make it over, that's ok! Just send Rory and Tallulah to keep me company! :biggrin2:

That's wonderful that you have such great care (mom being a nurse, and having nurses that are so caring). That's so sweet that the nurse encouraged you that things will work out...

:hug:

Jen, I'm not sure that you want Rory and Tallulah visiting you right now! It turns out Tallulah has mites and they would make you very itchy in addition to being in pain. I call the mites my little bunny security system since now no one wants to bunnap them :biggrin2:

This reminds me, I had an open reply to your blog going lol, but Waterloo Road (GREAT drama over here) distracted me!

I have an answer though: Send her over with the treatment! :p

:roflmao:

I am so sorry you are having to go through all of this. I really hope this surgery will be effective for you.

Ooohhh Jen, I think you're brave - it must be hard making a decision when you KNOW it's going to be painful. Still, I think you're doing the right thing. And you know we will be here for you (as well as your bunnies, of course ;))

My advice, stay away from the gory websites :p

Jan

awww poor honey,

Don't worry it will be over and done with before you know it. Keep away from the gory websites, come and talk to us and look at rabbit blogs instead.

Do you have a Primark near you? They have lots of bunny pjama's in the one near me so bet they would in your one if there is one :biggrin2:

Thanks everyone :hug:

I'd say the pain is the one thing I'm worried about. But, I'm expecting the worst- I'm expecting it to be worse than my most painful operation yet, where it hurt to even breathe lol, so I figure if I expect the very worst then it can only go up from there!

Oooh thanks Amy, I've been looking online for some, but couldn't find any! :(I had a look in Matalan yesterday but they didn't have anything much. I'll have a look in Primark when I get chance! Although our Primark is really disappointing, we went to the one in Birmingham when I was up there a few weeks ago and it's MASSIVE! It's not fair!

P.S all these replies on here from people, and on the pilonidal.org support forums? Only one reply! :disgust:I know which gets my vote, expert or not! :pMaybe it's better I don't hear of other people's experiences lol and scare myself...

Well, less than 48 hours to go now.... I think it's fairly safe to say I'm pooing myself over it! :?

I went to the hospital today to attend a 'pre-admission' clinic, which basically asks lots of questions etc to make sure you're fit for the surgery. I told the nurse that I was worried about pain relief due to the amount of pain I've been in before, and she said that if I speak to the aneasthetist (sp?) then they should give me a morphine pump. So basically I just press a little button which delivers morphine right into my IV thingy every time I want it (it locks out so you can't overdose)... :Dand that's made me feel a LOT better, to know that I wont be left in screaming agony like before... :(

I'm quite disappointed that my bunny pyjama hunt was fruitless... I wont be able to wear pyjamas, as I wont be able to have anything on my bottom half lol due to where the op site is, so I got a couple of nightdresses, my mum also got me a dressing gown, slippers, cardigan, and jogging bottoms to wear when I get home.... We also got me a pile of magazines today to help with the boredom...

Also, my mum saw a notice in the hospital that says they have WiFi!!! :shock:So depending on how awake I am lol, I might get Steve to bring my laptop in if I'm able to use it... that would help a LOT, cos I just know I'll be so bored and isolated, and that way I'd be able to keep in touch with my friends, and RO and stuff....

It sounds silly to be going on about these things, but it helps take my focus off the actual operation, and all that sort of thing....

Latest posts

Back