I got to hold 10 day old babies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happi Bun

Reaction score
There is nothing more adorable to me than tiny baby bunnies. They glow with adorableness, make the cutest noises and do the funniest things. Earlier today I had my first real life experience with 10 day old orphan baby rabbit's. The rabbit rescue I volunteer with took them in after they were brought to a local veterinary clinic. The people had found them outside (they are obviously domestic, one is all black, the other all white!) and didn't know what to do. The rescue founder just happened to be there in time!

I got to watch them being fed (goats milk) and love on them once they had full tummies. Their little eyes are just now starting to open. While I was giving them love and speaking with massive baby talk (hehe) the white one's eyes opened wide. It was a great moment, I whispered welcome to the world little one. I also couldn't get over their tiny tiny poo's! Also, their tiny tiny teeth and nails! Actually... I couldn't get over everything about them. Just so precious.

I really hope they make it, we are all aware the chance they will not is high, but we will just live in the moment. I know they are in excellent hands. I will definitely try and get some nice pictures for you all. Just had to share my experience! Do any of you remember your first time seeing and holding babies so young? How did it feel?

:inlove:

Happi Bun wrote:
Do any of you remember your first time seeing and holding babies so young? How did it feel?

:inlove:

As a breeder - I've been able to hold newborns that were as young as 5 minutes old (several of my does have had babies with me watching - they were so used to me walking by, etc. - and I'd happen to notice they were giving birth).

There is nothing quite like holding a baby bunny. When they're first born - they have no fur and they're just so wriggly.

This will probably sound crazy - but as a breeder - I feel a huge responsibility towards that bunny's life. I helped create it - now I am responsible for helping it grow and then finding it the RIGHT home. I take that very seriously...

What is so much fun to me is watching them change day to day and noticing the changes. I love it when they get to the point that they recognize my smell and start squirming (even while their eyes aren't open) to get to me.

I take my responsibility to socialize them as important - but also as "fun". We try to spend at least an hour a day playing with each litter (or the litters together on the bed) once they have their eyes open and are running around.

It is an awesome awesome feeling to be with baby bunnies - I'm so glad you got to hold some. I can hardly wait till my flemmies have babies.

TinysMom wrote:
This will probably sound crazy - but as a breeder - I feel a huge responsibility towards that bunny's life. I helped create it - now I am responsible for helping it grow and then finding it the RIGHT home. I take that very seriously...
Not crazy at all, that's how it should be! :)
"You become responsible forever, for what you have tamed."
Is a quote from Antoine de Saint-Exupery. I believe this applies to anyone that chooses to breed as well, not just animals domesticated by humans. I was actually feeling quite gloomy the past few days, but seeing and holding those two babies put things into prospective somehow. It made me feel at ease and lifted my spirits. It was quite therapeutic.

I wish I could have that experience!!! Lucky you!
I have been there for baby kittens..a momma brought in dead and the vet took the kittens out asap...we had to sit there and rub them, keep them warm etc...it was like wow...

:)

I know the feeling! I've held my friend's many litters of babies nethies at that age and a litter of my own, baby bunnies are the best. I love when they are around 14 days and they are hopping around and doing little baby binkys :biggrin2:

irishbunny wrote:
I know the feeling! I've held my friend's many litters of babies nethies at that age and a litter of my own, baby bunnies are the best. I love when they are around 14 days and they are hopping around and doing little baby binkys :biggrin2:
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW I wanna see a little baby binky!!!!

I got to hold bunnies that were just a few weeks old and it was the highlight of that month. It was at the county fair, and I got to hold a tiny nethie, and I was over the moon. I'll never forget that! It was a little chinchilla nethie, and if you've seen pics of Polly's chin nethie litter from a little while ago, you know just how adorable they are. You could have knocked me over with a feather. :inlove:

Latest posts

Back