I did a terrible thing last night

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I LuV MaH BuNs wrote:
Im glad my dad hasnt posted. It wouldnt be a pretty sight ifi found out he was talking about me. Guys just remember your kids DOhave access to this website and they CAN read what you write aboutthem.
I wouldn't say anything here that I wouldn't say to my child.

Also, not everyone's children are free to be online. Mychildren aren't allowed online without me present, and their access islimited.

My children do not go online very often and whenthey do it is to play games. They have no interest in a sitelike this. That being said-my son knows I talk about thesethings with other people because I like to get differant peoplesopinions and learn as much as I can about things before makingchoices. Especially when it concerns things such asmedicate/or not my child. This is not a decision I takelightly. He doesn not care and would probably be willing totell you himself. I have raised him to believe that there arethings about yourself that are not your fault and nothing to be ashamedof.

I LuV MaH BuNs wrote:
Im glad my dad hasnt posted. It wouldnt be a pretty sight ifi found out he was talking about me. Guys just remember your kids DOhave access to this website and they CAN read what you write aboutthem.
Time out! I did post, in fact I started this topic. But it was about bunnies wasn't it?

I seem to remember a post thatgoes..."Of corse seeing a 47year old bald man jumping around the room swating at a fly didn't helpthe bunnies much..." ;) (ref: topic "Flies, Flies,and more flies")

Me thinks mine reputation hast been sullied.

Honestly, I won't post anything on a forum (any forum) about friends or family unless it was discussed with them first.

So.. not to worry. Your secret identity is safe with me BuzzFlyswatter. OOOPS...er...umm...I mean Danielle :p **giggles**

Jim

Jems wrote:
Boy did we get way off topic here-anyway-
Yup Jim I know it started out as about bunnies but somewhere,something went terribly wrong.............. LOL

Interestinglyenough though, that's the way real conversations go. And I don't thinkit's so terrible.There are a lot of conversationsinthis forum that drawmuch interestand end upentirely different than where they began. They also have a great manyinterested followers who may not post comments but enjoy following theconversation. For example, note how many people have read this thread.Watch the numbers jump each day. Those people may not post comments butthey are involved none the less, and that's clear by the activity ofthe thread compared to the numbers of viewings on other threads. I likevariety and I like hearing other people opinions. It's the spice oflife!

Raspberry

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
Interestingly enough though,that's the way real conversations go. And I don't think it's soterrible.There are a lot of conversationsin thisforum that drawmuch interestand end up entirelydifferent than where they began. They also have a great many interestedfollowers who may not post comments but enjoy following theconversation. For example, note how many people have read this thread.Watch the numbers jump each day. Those people may not post comments butthey are involved none the less, and that's clear by the activity ofthe thread compared to the numbers of viewings on other threads. I likevariety and I like hearing other people opinions. It's the spice oflife!

Raspberry
I agree. I enjoy listening to peoples opinionsand learning more about just about any topic-a time or two my opinionhas even changed by listening to someoneelse.

I agree. Nothing terrible about it. I'm glad it'sgiving everyone an opportunity to share. In fact I'm pretty impressedwith the involvement and interaction this has created.

There have been 742 Views and 65 Replies since 12/3/04.

I think this shows that we care just as much about about our families(bunnies included ;))and friends than anything else in ourlives.

Jim

Just curious...whenwe were discussing some of the experiences with different disordersearlier,did any of you have any experience with RAD- ReactiveAttachment Disorder, that you would care to share? My sisters familyhas been to hell and back with it the last year or two and is finallyseeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm just curious as towhether or not their experiences are very common place. From what I'velearned RAD is oft times confused with other disorders, particularly inadopted/foster children and in children that were sick or injured asinfants or born premature...

RaspberrySwirl

Raspberry, is that the one that kids have thatdidn't bond with people as infants? If so, my cousin had/hasit.... my family raised him.

Yep, that's theone. They don't bond properly for whatever reason, be it health, abuse,accident, etc.

Oh boy! I feel sorry for your family. It's been awful for mine.

There are lots of things that have happened.... if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Now, my cousin is in his 30's and has a string of children all over theU.S. and ex-wives/girlfriends who get nothing from him. Weare in contact with one but that's it. We don't even knowexactly where a couple of them are.

It's a very very sad situation. I hope that your family canget the child help that will bring them through this.Unfortunately, my cousin did get help but it was through the county (hewas a foster child) and in hindsite, I think we all can see it wasn'tgood.

Here is a briefintro to RAD- and a link to this page. This perfectly sums up my nieceand what my sister went through with her. It was pure hell. Especiallyfor my sister and our family relations because my niece pulled a veryconvincing act in front of the rest of us when we were together forfamily events and then would go home and act possessed. Rather thangive my sister the support that she needed at the time the family wasdividing. Half of us thought she has lost her mind putting my nieceinto the therapy that she was. In the end the therapy saved my nieceslife and their family. Everyone is doing very well today and ourextended family is healing. This organization is very helpful as wellfor anyone needing help or information.http://www.attach.org/

RaspberrySwirl

The information below is found at thispage-http://www.attachmentcenterwest.com/for_educators.shtml

Children with Reactive Attachment Disorder are the victims of abuse,neglect, abandonment, physical illness, multiple placements and/orin-utero drug/alcohol exposure. Their problems are rooted in the firstthree years of their lives, when trauma occurred. Stable attachmentscannot be formed when a child experiences frequent changes in daycareor foster care, or when the child's social, emotional, physical, andcognitive needs are unmet.

While many children with Reactive Attachment Disorder have grown up infoster care and/or adoptive homes, these disorders occur in childrenwho are growing up with their biological parents as well. It isestimated that one-third of elementary school children in the UnitedStates have some form of an attachment issue, if not the full blowndisorder, due to divorce, inappropriate daycare programs, and multiplecaregivers. Children who have experienced medical events such ashospitalization, placement in an incubator or a body cast can alsodevelop these disorders.

According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders,Fourth Edition, published by the American Psychiatric Association,there are two types of Reactive Attachment Disorders. In theInhibited Type the child persistently fails to initiate and torespond to most social interactions in a developmentally appropriateway. The child shows a pattern of excessively inhibited, hypervigilantor highly ambivalent responses (for example, frozen watchfulness,resistance to comfort, or mixture of approach and avoidance). In theDisinhibited Type, there is a pattern of diffused attachments.The child exhibits indiscriminate sociability or a lack of selectivityin the choice of attachment figures. For example, the child may beextremely charming and friendly with those who are not trying to be hisor her parents, while acting violently toward parents who areattempting to become emotionally close to the child.

What is Attachment Disorder?

The words attachment and bonding are used interchangeably. A personwith Reactive Attachment Disorder has difficulty forming loving,lasting, intimate relationships. These individuals are unable to begenuinely affectionate with others, have not experienced consciencedevelopment and cannot trust others. Attachment is necessary for thedevelopment of an emotionally healthy person who has consciencedevelopment, experiences empathy, attains full intellectual potential,thinks logically, copes with stress and frustration, becomes selfreliant, develops healthy personal and business relationships, andhandles the ups and downs of every day life. According to Foster Cline,MD, examples of people who were not treated for Reactive AttachmentDisorder include Adolph Hitler, SadamHussein,and Jeffrey Dahmer. An example of a person who was treated successfullyfor Reactive Attachment Disorder is Helen Keller.

Children with Reactive Attachment Disorder do not respect authority,especially that of their parents. They are sometimes oppositional anddefiant in the school setting, although many of these children behaveperfectly with those who are not parenting them. It is not uncommonfor a child with Reactive Attachment Disorder to be a good student aswell as the most helpful child in the class. The same child may gohome and threaten his mother with a knife, set fires, and/or killanimals. Attachment disordered children have been so damaged that theycannot trust. Their behavior meets their subconscious need to keepthose who love them most at a distance. They are fearful that, if theybecome emotionally close to their parents, they will somehow be hurtagain as they were in the past. These children are terrified ofcloseness, and will do anything they can to create distance betweenthemselves and their parents. One way that this is manifested is inchildren's ability to triangulate, that is to pit one adult against theother. Children with attachment disorders frequently lie to theirteachers, accusing their parents of emotional abuse, physical abuse, orneglect, and lie so convincingly that their teachers believe them. Manyparents have been erroneously reported for suspected child abuse whenschool personnel have listened to the child without checking the factswith the parent.

Thanks for that info, Raspberry.

It's interesting, because this issue just came up on a*cough*mothering*cough forum, which is pro-attachment parenting.Someone there had adopted a child, and one of the adoption counselorswas advocating parenting methods that would have encouraged ReactiveAttachment Disorder. I had never heard about it before, so for it tocome up on two forums in the same day was interesting (and informative!)

Yep, Raspberry. Your niece may need help on and off the rest of her life from what I have heard.

My cousin was neglected. He was a mess and the "help" he gotwas not quality. Now that we know this, my parents feel badbut there is nothing they can do.

His life is a string of short relationships and self-absorbedways. He cannot "attach" to anyone for any length of time.

Very very sad situation.

It's a veryvolatile issue. Many of the therapy suggestions cause a lot of waves,but what it boils down to is this- if it doesn't harm the child and itmight fix the problem, if there is any chance in hell of fixing thechild, why not try? Statistics sure don't bear out very well for aquality life for people who don't get help. That's what my sisterfinally did. We went through two years of some hard times. Things thatseemed extreme to others, like little to no television, strict rules onwhat toys she had, what she could read, all choices were made for her,what she could eat, wear, where she could go, when she could go to bed,etc. It forced her to depend on her mother. Which she had never had todepend on an adult before. (part of the attachment disorder) She washome schooled during that time and removed from social situations.Anyway, it may seem extreme to some people but what is two years of akids life if it worked compared to an entire life of dysfunction in andadults life? An adult who could wreck a spouses life, children's lives,murder, etc??? My niece just "graduated" from therapy and is consideredin remission. She will have issues that will need tending probablyforever but I consider it a success. I think I will forever beinterested in this topic. I learned A LOT from what my familywent through with it.

Raspberry

Thank God your sister got the help for yourniece. I believe if no one is harmed and it works.... go forit! Hopefully your niece will have a full and lovinglife. :)

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
m.e. wrote:
...... issue justcame up on a *cough*mothering*cough forum......
m.e. - IS THERE SOMETHING YOU'D LIKE TO TELLUS??????

Nooooooooo! :shock:

My 20th birthday is still two weeks away! I've never had a boyfriend inmy entire life! I just happen to think it's a good idea to think aboutthese things now :p

Back