I did a terrible thing last night

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BunnyMommy wrote:
In fact, we implemented the same principles withour nieces, nephews, and godchildren (who loved us to no end) and hadbetter control over them in most cases than their own parents did!
My husband and I have experienced thissame thing over and over again within our own family. Amazing isn'tit?

Raspberry

JimD - Very honest of you to admit that on here.I'll tell you what though sometimes Snowy has really tried my patience,soI can understand you reacting like you did, he pushed youand you just lashed out - it happens.He wasn't hurt, butmaybe he will think twice before biting you again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the subject of spanking children. I suppose its because my girls areonly young they haven't given me reason to spank them. Alyssa isgetting very cheeky now though being 3.5, itsHER way or NOway. SometimesI can yell and yell at her and she just answerswith 'don't speak to me like that!' LOL and this is a 3 yr old. So ifshouting wont work with a child what do you do. I have never hit herand don't think I could, but sometimes I think, well what am I supposedto do whenshe just won't listen to shouting.

I think children these days know exactly how to push their parentsbecause there is so much controversy over spanking now, they think theycan get away with it and I have seen a child just laugh when it isobvious thathisMumis doing her best toget through to him.

I got a good spanking of my Dad and it did me no harm, in fact itprobably did me good. Not often, just when I needed it.I amonly 23 but I think that the way I was brought up (the good 'old'fashioned way) has made me the person that I am today. There's just somany people (even my age) these days that have no respect for anyone -not even themselves, and obviously it is all in the upbringing.Children and teenagers these days are out of control andthereis no way on this earth I will havemy children being thesame. It's hard,and I thinkany parent/carer wouldagree with me.

I think they need to bring back compulsory service over here again.That would sort the louts out and make them out to be the fine peoplewho have served (and those who still are)in the war. Just myopinion :p

Vickie

Wow, some really good points brought up here. Idon't have children, but have many nephews and nieces (and now somegreat nephews and nieces), and some have been brought up with anoccassional spanking, and others with a "Now don't do that, it'snaughty", then left to do what they like attitude, and I have to saythat the better behaved kids are the ones that have the occassionalspanking. They take 'No' for an answer, and they can be taken anywhereand know how to behave themselves.

Bo, you said it's not illegal to spank a child. Well, here in the UK,they are trying to make it illegal, and the children will be able toreport their parents for doing it it. No wonder we have increasingtrouble on our streets here! -Jan

Bo B Bunny wrote:
My children are taught as I was; that you respect yourelders, but I have added the conditions upon which they deserverespect. Someone who treats them poorly is not "respected"but is not mistreated either. They are to be decent and justignore that person or be civil. If the person is actuallymistreating them.... that person will have to deal with theirMOTHER! Whodoesn't take kindly to adults being mean to kids. LOL!

Anyhow, I believe that there is a need to make children behave, but Ialso believe there is a need for them to haverespect aspeople.
I'm so with you on this Bo. My kids haveknown all along that I will back them all the way as long as they arebeing honest and truthful with me. I've had some knock-down-drag-outfights with some teachers (sorry Buck) that thought they walked onwater. In the end the administration sided with my child and I.Teachers are not infallible. And as for the respect issue. It isn'tjust an automatic thing. Respect hasto be earned. But Iexpect my children to treat others as they would want to be treateduntil it's indicated otherwise!

Raspberry

RaspberrySwirl wrote:

I'm so with you on this Bo.My kids have known all along that I will back them all the way as longas they are being honest and truthful with me. I've had someknock-down-drag-out fights with some teachers (sorry Buck) that thoughtthey walked on water. In the end the administration sided with my childand I. Teachers are not infallible. And as for the respect issue. Itisn't just an automatic thing. Respect hasto be earned. But Iexpect my children to treat others as they would want to be treateduntil it's indicated otherwise!

Raspberry

You know, Ihave my kids in Private (Catholic) School and it's so much worse theresometimes! I have been through the teacher ordeal manytimes.... including just this Thursday!!!!! UGH! They expectso much out of these kids, they make them follow rigid and sometimesridiculous rules,but then they can't follow the rulesthemselves! How can we expect our children to respect something orsomeone like that? (No offense to the teachers here, I am justnot happy with ours at the moment :D)

My attitude isthat they should be respectful of their teachers and the staff there,but then some hauty taughty snot of a teacher is rude to my child andnothing is done about it.... if my child had talked to her that way,he'd have visited the principal.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
RaspberrySwirlwrote:

...I've had someknock-down-drag-out fights with some teachers (sorry Buck) that thoughtthey walked on water. In the end the administration sided with my childand I. Teachers are not infallible. And as for the respect issue. Itisn't just an automatic thing. Respect hasto be earned. But Iexpect my children to treat others as they would want to be treateduntil it's indicated otherwise!

Raspberry

You know, Ihave my kids in Private (Catholic) School and ...I have been throughthe teacher ordeal many times.... including just this Thursday!!!!!UGH! They expect so much out of these kids, they make themfollow rigid and sometimes ridiculous rules,but then theycan't follow the rules themselves! How can we expect our children torespect something or someone like that? (No offense to theteachers here, I am just not happy with ours at the moment :D)....

Obviously, I cannot comment upon the particulars of either situation,not being familiar with the circumstances, but I will say that I usedto tell my wife to "chill" out when the children came home with "warstories" about their teacher(s). I suggested she take whatthey related to her and cut it in half, and maybe, just maybe, thatwould approximate the reality of the situation. It is notthat our children were liars, they weren't and aren't to this day; it'sjust that young people tend to see the world through self-centeredperspectives and minor slights can be perceived as majorvendettas. By cutting the "story" in half I believe a morerealistic assessment of the situation was arrived at and I saved hermany unneccessary or ill conceived trips to school all in ahuff.

Certainly, teachers can be wrong at times, but mostteachersdon't "lie awake" nights plotting how they're "going to getstudents the next day,"contrary to whatsomestudents may believe. That concept is part of a teenager'sself absorbtion in thinking that the world centers on and revolvesaround him/her self. For the most part, oncetheirown "homework" is done,mostteachersdon'teven think about thestudents a whole heck of a lot at home,because they do havetheir own lives to live, too.

As far as:

"...They expect so muchout of these kids, they make them follow rigid and sometimes ridiculousrules,but then they can't follow the rules themselves! Howcan we expect our children to respect something or someone likethat?..."

We elected to send ourchildren to parochial school for the fact that it did have rigid anddemanding "rules" for them to follow, but we preferred to refer to themas "expectations." I knew full well I could not expect toexact those same expectations from my own students because I taught inthe public sector, but I, and my wife, wanted more, and better, for ourown children.

The crux of the matter isthat our children did manage to perform well under those circumstancesand are the better educated for it today. Their educationseems to have left them with less psychological damage and trauma thanmany of their public school counterparts I dealt with on a dailybasis.

In truth, wemarched into their school in anger once in the six year spanthey attended high school for an imagined indignity conferred upon ourdaughter.after some amountofcircumspection, it was determined I had given her unwiseadvice to disregard one of those "rules" we had sent her to that schoolto learn about, and she was being called on the carpet forit. Once the truth be fully known, administrators graciouslyaccepted my explanation and apology without rancor and rescinded theimpending penalty on my daughter.

In conclusion, I guess I'mtrying to say I don't think we fared too badly from the days in which,come hell or high water, "the teacher was always right," and ourparents would punish us even more heavily than the school had when wegot home. I think we doALL a dis-service when wesay, "the teacher is always wrong, until proven innocent," andundermine his or her authority in the class room.

Respect...I alway gave itto my students, unless they indicated to me they were not deserving ofsuch consideration, but I was, and am, of the mind that as the ADULT incharge I was due a certain degree of respect, as conferred upon me byuniversities, the school system that employed me, the state, and ourcultural heritage. As MINORS, students did not have the samelegal rights, nor responsibilities that I had, and , therefore, we arenot and were not equals.

I bristled at the notion,that because students were not permitted to do something I, somehow,was morally obligated to follow suit. For example, thecarrying of water bottles by students was prohibited because studentshad been apprehended with bottles containing colorlessalcohol. Adminstrators, therefore, said teachers weredisallowed the privilege as well, in order to provide an example andinsure an equitable application of the prohibition. I thoughtitdenegrated my professional level and adult status down tothat of a 15 year old actingthe fool.

While on lunch duty, Ipulled out a multi-tool to accomplish some cutting task athand. An irate, anddisrespectful I might add,studentrighteously and vociferously complained about the factI had a knifein school, whereashe couldnotand why was that? I informed him that wasbecause I was an ADULT and permitted by law to carry such atool! Not only that, but I also drove an automobile, voted,could sign legal contracts and buy and sell things, none of which hecould currently do as a MINOR. He was erroneous ifhebelieved we were somehow equal because we were both,ostensibly, concerned about getting him his education during thosetimes he was not objecting to teachers' actions.

Listen, I know teacherscan perform injustices upon students and I have had my share performedupon me during my student days, but very rarely are they rankinjustices that absolutely disturb the rest of a person'slife. It is part of life and growing up that these thingswill happen and we have to learn to deal with them on our own as menand women, without mommy and daddy fixing it up all thetime.

I could go on "adinfinitum" with the myriad of "injustices" I had to endure fromstudents, parents, and administrators during my long career.I am sure the sheer number far outweighs those I might haveintentionally, or non-intentionally, performed upon my haplessstudents, but I fear I have bored most of you too muchalready.

Suffice it to say that Iretired after 32 years of teaching, and when I truly believed I was atthe top of my form professionally, becauseof having lostpatience with parents, administrators, theState,and students...in that descending rank order!

I could've handled thestudents for another ten or twenty years, nosweat.

Buck

I believe you couldhave handled them for another twenty years too Buck! :)Itruly wish my children had been given the opportunity to learn fromyou. My take on it is this, teachers are a piece of the puzzle. Animportant piece but just a piece. It takes family, neighbors, coaches,teachers, Friends and church, all in a combined effort with parents tomold a well rounded child. Weakness in any one area will eventuallyshow through somehow and have to be strengthened either by the parentor by the child later in life as life situations begin to arise andshow where those strengths would be beneficial or even crucial forsuccess. The thing of it is, not all of those experiences will be goodones, nor should they be in order to learn from them. That's what makespeople strong, different and resourceful. When working through problemswith coaches, teachers, or neighborsand ourchildrencomplained that "they aren't nice" or "they aren'tfair", we've often told them they need to learn how to deal with thatnow. We've explained that for the rest of their lives they will dealwith people, bosses, authority figures, neighbors, whomever, thataren't nice and aren't fair. Best to learn patience and tolerancenow. As I saidearlier, I believe it takes a number of things to form a well roundedchild. In my own experience I did a disservice to my children by notinvolving them enough in a church family. We are Christians and we area spiritual family, but we are not involved in a church. As my kidshave gotten older and have lost some friends and family to death, haslife issues of their own, and begun to evolve into the adults they willbe,I am finding myself wishing more and more that I wouldhave given them that foundation. I had a personal issue with God (Heand I have since settled it ;)) But I should have made sure my childrenattended church. My point is this. I've built a strong foundation formy children. I've worked hard and I think I have goodprinciplesin child rearing, but it only takes one weaklinkfor a chain to break. I can see already thatIdid a disservice to mychildren in this area. Being a parentis tough......You gotta cover ALL the bases. Butmaking newparents understand that doesn't necessarily mean always eat yourveggies, or never play more than an hour of video games, isn't what'simportant every day all the time. Am I making sense here?

Raspberry

There are many wonderful things about ourschool. Believe me when I say that I agree with everythingyou say. Why I chose to send them there, what my expectationsare and the school's expectations in the beginning were what Iwanted.

Our situation is a bit of a different one. Without going intoall of the issues, I will say that the rules that have been added andthe manner in which they use them ..... can be quite petty and too mucheffort is applied to those things. My children have had noproblems with most of those "rules" but it tends to be a bit.....annoying.

I believe my children because they have no reason to lie tome. I do check out whatever story they have told me and findthem to be truthful however, maybe eliminating an item or two that canmake a difference in my attitude. :p

When there are clearly written rules to a requirement and the teachertells a child otherwise..... and tells me the same thing.... there is aproblem. I have to go and show the teacher the writtenrequirement and she is the only teacher for that subject for that gradelevel and she doesn't know the rules? There is a problem.

When a child is absent there is a written rule that they receive thenumber of days out to make up their work. An assignment givenduring that time is not due the day they come back. When ateacher tells me the child should have taken a test the day they cameback (a test assigned a day they were ill) and tells the child how"Your absence is just your excuse for not being prepared" ...... thereis a problem.

Believe me when I say, I do not go about this in an unprepared,uneducated and/or quick to judge manner. However I am gettinga "bad taste" where a couple of teachers are concerned.

Our middle school is very hard. It is very good in many waysbut very bad in others. It has a few problems that can makeit very hard to deal with. My daughter will most likely neverwalk through those halls. I am 99.9% sure I will move her tothe public schools before that.

6 hours of homework in one night? I thought it was just mychild who can be a bit unfocused but a genius as well. Nope,it was the entire grade level.

18 hours of homework over one weekend? What is it that they do in school hours?

I could go on and on.

I love our school for elementary grades. I loved it the day Iwalked in and cried joyous tears when my son got in. It'sbeen the best choice for them, I have no doubt, but there are issues aswith any school. I just get frustrated! :(

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
...Being a parent istough......You gotta cover ALL the bases. Butmaking newparents understand that doesn't necessarily mean always eat yourveggies, or never play more than an hour of video games, isn't what'simportant every day all the time. Am I making sensehere?

Raspberry
Absolutely! No matter how hard we try, we are apt to come up short in some manner because we are not perfect.

Years ago I had the opportunity to receive some guidance from a verywise man. I had some issues regarding my parents and believedthey had "failed" or "short changed" me in some importantaspects. I was disappointed and angry with them because theyhad not met up to the challenge of being the parents I judged theyshould have been, consequently leaving me with "personal problems andinadequacies" that interfered with my happpiness.

The wise man asked if I believed my parents had done theirbest? My reply was yes, but it was notenough. His response was, "How can you be angry with someonewho did their best?"

I said, "But, it wasn't adequate and now I have all these 'problems'"

He said, "Yes, and now what are YOU going to do about them?Your parents gave it their best and could give no more, for whateverreasons. How can you remain so angry at them?The'problems'are now yours andhow areYOU going to deal with them?"

Never needed to see another therapist for my whole life!

Buck

Buck Jones wrote:
Years ago I had the opportunity to receive some guidancefrom a very wise man. I had some issues regarding my parentsand believed they had "failed" or "short changed" me in some importantaspects. I was disappointed and angry with them because theyhad not met up to the challenge of being the parents I judged theyshould have been, consequently leaving me with "personal problems andinadequacies" that interfered with my happiness.

The wise man asked if I believed my parents had done theirbest? My reply was yes, but it was notenough. His response was, "How can you be angry with someonewho did their best?"

I said, "But, it wasn't adequate and now I have all these 'problems'"

He said, "Yes, and now what are YOU going to do about them?Your parents gave it their best and could give no more, for whateverreasons. How can you remain so angry at them?The'problems'are now yours andhow areYOU going to deal with them?"

Never needed to see another therapist for my whole life!

Buck
Wow Buck, that is SO Big! We had parallelexperiences....I sure wish I had all the money I spent on therapy backin my pocket. I put myself through hell and back looking for answers. Ididn't find them until after my Mom died, which I will always regret.But I think it was meant to be. Right after she died I found myselfsmothering in grief because I hadn't put aside the kind of "problems"you spoke of that I had with Mom. She died suddenly and unexpectedly.In my churning thoughts and while beating myself up emotionally, Irealized that I missed her so much, even though I hadn't really likedwho she was in the last years. Then it dawned on me"I hadbeen so angry at her for not being who I wanted her to be that I didn'tappreciate her for who she was." That was the beginning of my forgivingmy Mom and my healing. I stepped outside of the box and looked back andrealized that as your wise friend showed you, my Mom had done the bestshe knew how. I've since heard a quote through Oprah from Maya AngelouI believe that goes something like "We do the best we know how. When weknow better, we do better." I like that.

I try not to make the same mistakes thatmyparents made that hurt me so much, but I'm quite certain Iam making my own instead. When I know better, I hope to do better.:?

Raspberry

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
...Then it dawned on me"I hadbeen so angry at her for not being who I wanted her to be that I didn'tappreciate her for who she was...."
I try not to make the same mistakes thatmyparents made that hurt me so much, but I'm quite certain Iam making my own instead. When I know better, I hope to do better.:?

Raspberry

Wow! Does that ever sum up the whole situation quite succinctly!

Pleased to meet ya, Friend, and I suspect my "wise man" would've liked to make your acquaintance as well.

Buck

Wow, you guys are really giving me food for thought and I wish I had logged on earlier to be a part of this.

I don't have children yet, but we plan on having them soon. Many pointswere made that I really hold hard to, such as the unified front thatparents need to make together. My own childhood was, well, less thandesirable. I am partly afraid of having my own children because I donot want them going through what my three brothers and I had to gothrough. Having a single mom who worked all the time made it hard. Mydad just wasn't there.

As far as the spanking thing goes, I agree with you guys. Yes, spankingis ok, on a moderate level, such as not beating your kid to a pulp forspilled milk. Some kids need it, I think. We're all different,includingas children, sometimes especially them! To me,spanking is for those extreme circumstances, and not something to bedone often or lightly. I think it lays a boundry down for a child. Notsure if I'm making sense here. But I think I'm from the same timeperiod, so to say, as Raspberry is, with the spanking things. One ofthose "Uh oh, I really messed up here." When I was a kid and had to getspanked, I knew I deserved it!

Oh. I recently wentoff the pill too. :p Not trying, but nottrying to not have any at the same time. lol I've only told my bestfriend, but not my family yet. Don't want pressure from them to havekids (my dad is all but begging me at this point). You all are myfamily though, and I've been dying to tell someone.

My. how nice of you to share that...with us, your bunny Internet family.

I don't usually share the things above that I wrote withquite anyone, either. Things like that, and your decision,foranother example,are reserved by me for people whom I careabout and I think are genuinely interested. Some familymembers don't necessarily fit into either of those two categories,unfortunately.

Buck

Well, it's one of those things where I would behounded constantly. All with the best intentions, of course. My familyhas been waiting for many years for me to make an announcement likethis. I am thirty soon, after all.

I've been prepping my body for a bit though, eating better, working outon a regular basis, taking folic acid and all of that good stuff. Thisis just the next step. Dave and I have been talking about thingsconcerning children recently (obviously), and how we disclipline themhas been one of the topics. I feel that some parents don't reallydiscuss these things beforehand and expect everything to fall intoplace.

Funny, a year ago we were both like "We don't want kids for a longtime" to, "When we have kids" to "Let's go off birth control". lol

Buck Jones wrote:
My. how nice of you to share that...with us, your bunnyInternet family.

I don't usually share the things above that I wrote withquite anyone, either. Things like that, and your decision,foranother example,are reserved by me for people whom I careabout and I think are genuinely interested. Some familymembers don't necessarily fit into either of those two categories,unfortunately.

Buck
DITTO! You guys are my chosen family!

And Steph, it's not to late to join our chat!Glad to have you jump right in! With that pill thing....When I droppedit both times, I wasn't trying either and was pregnant the next monthboth times! :)

Raspberry

Wow! I was surprised as I read through the poststhat there was no one jumping in to argue the other side-nospanking.

I have on occasion spanked my children. It is saved as a lastresort but they know it's always out there should they choose to pushthat far and I think it helps keep them in line better. Myboys are 14 and about to turn 12-my 14 year old is driving meCRAZY!!!! It is impossible to "put" him in his room should hechoose not to go and grounding doesn't phase him most of the time as hedoesn't often go anywhere or have friends over much. Can'ttake the phone away because he very seldom uses it anyway. SoI need to have something to keep him in check.14years old and a football player to boot-the spankingsprobablywouldn't even hurt if he needed one but he doesn'twant one. A couple more years I will be able to take thedriving privledges away!!!:shock: EEEKKK!! Scary thought.

That is a verydifficult stage. I had a son that was a bit like that in the sense thathe wasn't as social at 14 as his sisters were or as his older brotherwas. Girls didn't come into the picture for years and it wasn't untillast year that he even cared to talk on the phone! The only thing thatever worked much for me with him was taking away his gamingprivileges.I don't know if your son does that but we'vealways had ninendo, playstation, xbox or something around here, so it'salways been a big deal. I will mention that at one point I took awayhis dessert and snack privileges but have sense learned not to rewardor punish children with food. I've had bad eating habits and want toavoid passing them on to my kids. Using food as a "tool" of any kind isa really bad idea. Does he have any hobbies or activities that he takespart in that he needs money to do? A weekly league or something? Makehim earn his money with chores to go to those things. The worse hisbehavior, the more disrespectful he is to you, the more chores that hasto be done to earn the money...just an idea. Good Luck!

Raspberry

Thanks Raspberry,

No he doesn't do anything to need moneyexcept on rare occasions he will ask to go to the movies with afriend. He has a PS2 he shares with his brother but seldom dothey use it. He has been in counseling for a while and hiscounselor suggested the other day he be evaluated for ADD/ADHD becausehe has a hard time keeping him on task to work throughanything. I will have him evaluated I guess but am unsureabout wether I want him medicated or not. On one hand if ithelps him be more focused in school and do better it would be good buton the other hand I don't want him labled either. I don'tknow. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come toit. -Thanks

Jen

I will have him evaluated I guess but amunsure about wether I want him medicated or not. On one hand if ithelps him be more focused in school and do better it would be good buton the other hand I don't want him labled either. I don't know. I guessI'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

My sister has ADD-tendancies (I say it that way, because she was neverofficially diagnosed, but it's quite plainly clear that she is whatwould be clinically considered an ADD kid). My parents are a littleradical in that they do not see ADD/ADHD as anything more than adifferent way to process things. They'd never medicate my sister forany reason. To that end, my sister is homeschooled (she's 10). Schoolis tailored around her, and we're so used to "Hannah's" way of thingsnow, it doesn't seem that odd. There's the occasional incident andwe'll roll our eyes and say, "There's Hannah for ya..."

She does have the ability to focus on certain things, though. We highlymoniter her video game usage, and ended up taking away her Gameboybecause she was borderline obsessive. ADD kids don't have an"attention deficit", as the name suggests. If they did they'd never beable to pay attention to anything. An ADD kid hashyper-attentiveness. Everything catches their attention! Andsome things are more attention-grabbing than others. The key is to findsomething productive that they can pay attention to and encourage themin it.

Hannah found something she can focus very well on: art. She starteddrawing when she was three, said "art is my life" at age five, and nowis quite an astounding artist for a ten year old. She has an uncannyability to zone out and draw for hours and hours on end. This is thesame kid who can't pay attention for more than 10 minutes on a schoolsubject. So it's a real balancing act. The thing is, ADD kids grow upinto some of the most interesting and intelligent people you'll meet.Because of the way their mind works, they often have a real depth ofknowledge in one area, and grow up to be very skilled and creative inthat field.

Back