I am allergic to timothy hay grr

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chickadee289

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to get a bunny, I have had bunnies in the past and I am highly allergic to timothy hay (probably alfalfa too, but I havnt tried it) I touch the stuff and if my hands get near my face i sneeze all night, to the point where it interferes with me doing anything. Now, if I wash my hands right after and dope up on allergy meds I'm pretty ok, but being all doped up isn't fun and I usually get distracted by the bunny before I ever get to wash my hands.. then its pretty much over for me. I'm willing to go through the whole routine cause I love bunnies and its worth it, but I was wondering if anyone has similar allergies and what they do about it. I've always just gave my bunnies fresh hay, and liek I said I havnt tried alfalfa. The hay being in the room doesnt bother me till it's disturbed, or i touch it. Are there any supplements for the hay? Do you tinhk alflafa would be worth a shot?

Haha I guess if not someone please reccomend a good inexpensive allergy medicine I can take and stay awake haha

thanks!

Like you, I am allergic to timothy hay. I am also allergic to most pollens/molds, as well as cats and dogs. My husband is not allergic to any of those things, but he is allergic to bunnies. LOL!

What allergy meds have you tried?

My husband uses the generic form of Claritin (loratadine), and it works really well for him.

Claritin doesn't work for me. I take Zyrtec (actually, the generic version that Walgreens sells). It works really well for me, and now that it's OTC and generic, it's quite affordable. I take it in the morning, and haven't noticed any side effects, though some people take it in the evening instead.

I also take Singulair, which is prescription only, and on some prescription plans can be costly. I believe Singulair is primarily for asthma, but my doctor has me take it to help prevent inflammation, and it really helps keep my allergies at bay.

I think the key to any of these is to take it every day, especially when you're around allergy triggers every day. (I take mine with breakfast.) I have also been told that the Claritin takes a few days to start working, so maybe give it two weeks before you decide if it works for you or not. If one of these makes you sleepy, but otherwise works, you could try taking it right before bed every night. Or if it keeps you up, just take it in the morning.

With Claritin and Zyrtec both, since they're generic now you could try one for a couple weeks, and if it doesn't work you're not out too much money.

Good luck!

I started zyrtec (walgreens version) last week. I guess I'll see if it works when bunny gets here haha. :) thanks for the advice. I may just put my boyfriend on hay duty haha. I just thought there might be some secret out there :) maybe i should build some crazy hay dispenser :p

You could wear gloves and a mask when you have to handle hay. Gardening gloves would work and a working or medical mask could work. Getting someone else to give hay to the bunnies could be helpful as well.
If you can, get some hay cubes. They may not be as bad and would be easier to give without touching them. They are compressed hay, so you won't have to deal with dusty or loose hay as much. You should still give some loose hay at least once a week.

I am also allergic to Timothy hay (when it gets disturbed) and pine pollen.
I usually take the generic form of Allavert if I can find it (love that it's 24hr.cover) Works great for me -
Found out last year when I opened a big bag of local hay and was hauling it out of the bag and putting it in their pen,....10mins.later and my eyes were running and itching and I was sneezing like crazy! Never had that reaction to the pet-store bagged hay..maybe it's just the local hay is fresher (and more potent!).
Anyhow, the buns enjoy it and it's fresh.

Latest posts

Back